Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I'm surprised this news has dropped as early as it has but I'm not surprised that they decided to go with an original character for the show. Especially a young Brazilian Wonder Girl that adds such unexplored richness to the established mythos. Look at what the CW has already produced. Starting a show with an original character who has ties to an established mythos like Wonder Woman makes sense. It worked for Batwoman. It helped sell Supergirl when it moved over. It helped keep Legends going. Legends is weird y'all! I never liked the show. I like a lot of the characters but not the show. Arrow was dark, edgy, and something new when it debuted. That was a real risk but it was well-received. Flash was colorful, dorky, fun, and well known. Black Lightning didn't have that kind of connection but the CW already established itself as a home for entertaining superhero shows. It has done well because of how different it is from the other hero shows and the demographic of the main characters. Stargirl is different enough to stand out but it wouldn't have been as successful without the previous shows the CW produced. Swamp Thing is straight-up horror and I doubt it will do well. Lois and Clark will probably do well. Wonder Girl is going to do well. Especially now that we have two Wonder Woman movies and a shared universe. We're going to see Yara debut in the comics very soon as the future Wonder Woman. It would make a lot of sense if they came out with a Wonder Girl comic featuring her as well. I think 6 to 12 issues could be printed by the time this show airs. That would be perfect to have available for the young fans of the show to introduce them to comics. That's exciting for them and for me as a long-time comic book reader. And, who knows! I might even like the show even if it isn't designed with me in mind.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    It's on the CW so I wouldn't expect groundbreaking storytelling or great power feats.
    The writing will likely be mediocre but TheW makes stars out of people and brings very strong/active fanbases to their shows. Yara will get more exposure and fans then Cassie/Donna ever had and this will cement her stay in the comics most likely.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    The writing will likely be mediocre but TheW makes stars out of people and brings very strong/active fanbases to their shows. Yara will get more exposure and fans then Cassie/Donna ever had and this will cement her stay in the comics most likely.
    If only Donna didn’t die last season on titans
    After doing nothing,

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    If only Donna didn’t die last season on titans
    After doing nothing,
    It's all but stated she'll come back.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Rumor has it that Warner is taking DC in a completely brand-new direction, relying less on strict comic-book continuity and U.S.-centric tastes and going for a more global approach to their characters and franchises and allowing, essentially, "all stories to matter and count" in terms of continuity, even where things seem contradictory. There's also going to be a lot more synergy between the various parts of the DCU in terms of comics, books, television, film, etc.

I also heard that Warner might be pulling DC out of the monthly comic book business, focusing more on YA books, graphic novels, trades, etc. There seems to be a genuine push to broaden DC's market beyond the 35+ year old white/male comic collector and appeal to a wider base around the entire world. Much of DC's recent restructuring and re-staffing, as well as pulling out of Diamond Distributors and holding their own comic con and likely pulling away from established comic conventions, seems to be pointing in this direction as well.

Wonder Girl as an Indigenous/Brown Brazilian girl as the starting place for this new direction seems like they are actually going to put their money where their mouth is.

I imagine this is going to upset longtime readers/collectors (though I imagine there will still be stuff for us to enjoy), but likely provide a stable future for the industry as a whole.
    Where did you hear these rumors?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    For that, she should have been Turkish. Amazons are said to have Turkic roots too.

Bıt anyways I’m ok with a new Wonder Girl. I’ve kept saying that Cassie had outrun her course with the title.
    Agreed. She’s gone through too much, and needs to graduate to her own identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where did you hear these rumors?
    I’ve heard the rumors about movie/tv/comics synergy since Bendis came aboard. That’s part of why he was brought on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’ve heard the rumors about movie/tv/comics synergy since Bendis came aboard. That’s part of why he was brought on.
    Again, where are the rumors coming from? Do you have a link or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Again, where are the rumors coming from? Do you have a link or something?
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cin...m-marvel-to-dc

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Agreed. She’s gone through too much, and needs to graduate to her own identity.
    Nooooo I like Cassie as Wonder Girl, but agree that if she did need a name change Fury is the best option. It's currently not being used and if they bring back the lightning lasso's connection to anger it fits well. Just give her a modern day update of Fury's red and gold armor (sans broken flower pot headpiece).
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 11-18-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    I'm surprised this news has dropped as early as it has but I'm not surprised that they decided to go with an original character for the show. Especially a young Brazilian Wonder Girl that adds such unexplored richness to the established mythos. Look at what the CW has already produced. Starting a show with an original character who has ties to an established mythos like Wonder Woman makes sense. It worked for Batwoman. It helped sell Supergirl when it moved over. It helped keep Legends going. Legends is weird y'all! I never liked the show. I like a lot of the characters but not the show. Arrow was dark, edgy, and something new when it debuted. That was a real risk but it was well-received. Flash was colorful, dorky, fun, and well known. Black Lightning didn't have that kind of connection but the CW already established itself as a home for entertaining superhero shows. It has done well because of how different it is from the other hero shows and the demographic of the main characters. Stargirl is different enough to stand out but it wouldn't have been as successful without the previous shows the CW produced. Swamp Thing is straight-up horror and I doubt it will do well. Lois and Clark will probably do well. Wonder Girl is going to do well. Especially now that we have two Wonder Woman movies and a shared universe. We're going to see Yara debut in the comics very soon as the future Wonder Woman. It would make a lot of sense if they came out with a Wonder Girl comic featuring her as well. I think 6 to 12 issues could be printed by the time this show airs. That would be perfect to have available for the young fans of the show to introduce them to comics. That's exciting for them and for me as a long-time comic book reader. And, who knows! I might even like the show even if it isn't designed with me in mind.
    We don't know that for sure yet. The second season hasn't aired.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Nooooo I like Cassie as Wonder Girl, but agree that if she did need a name change Fury is the best option. It's currently not being used and if they bring back the lightning lasso's connection to anger it fits well. Just give her a modern day update of Fury's red and gold armor (sans broken flower pot headpiece).
    So back to her new 52 sexpot self
    Rather then her middle school 17 year old version we have

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    So back to her new 52 sexpot self
    Rather then her middle school 17 year old version we have
    One can evolve to the other