Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t think Tamaki is leaving. Joelle will just launch a new Wonder Girl series starring Yara. They may end up keeping the two mostly separate of each other, depending on how close the executives want Diana and Yara to be.
    The bit about Joelle writing a Wonder Girl series was removed and replaced in the article.

I just can't see DC launching a series about Yara as Wonder Girl without introducing the character first. They can wait that the CW series airs to release a solo Wonder Girl book.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Crazy how Yara is probably going to be more prominent than Donna and Cassie
    Always remember that Donna appeared in cartoons before Diana did.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Always remember that Donna appeared in cartoons before Diana did.
    If yara ends up having more impactful appearances in the DC verse, better character development, personality development and power feats than Diana. That will be the final nail in the coffin. And with the way DC has treated Di for the past decade. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happens.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    If yara ends up having more impactful appearances in the DC verse, better character development, personality development and power feats than Diana. That will be the final nail in the coffin. And with the way DC has treated Di for the past decade. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happens.
    CW shows have not been my cup of tea, and I don't expect this to be any different. I have enjoyed Stargirl, but it didn't start on the CW. I can see the desire to have a WW related show, but am a bit clueless as to why a completely new character is the direction they are taking.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    It's on the CW so I wouldn't expect groundbreaking storytelling or great power feats.

Yeah, remember that awesome comic preview of Yara slaying a dragon? I can't wait to watch the show and see nothing even remotely close to that happening...
    Last edited by Dipter; 11-17-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Yeah, other than a striking design and a potentially interesting backstory there is literally nothing to the character yet. We'll have to wait and see if Yara becomes another Kamala (a near-universally recognized success) or another Riri (arguably a dismal failure).
    I would not call Kamala a success based on how that avengers game did
    But Damian and Jon needed a female to finalize their own trinity anyway

I just hope we see some actual Wonder Rogues on the show.

Rumor has it that Warner is taking DC in a completely brand-new direction, relying less on strict comic-book continuity and U.S.-centric tastes and going for a more global approach to their characters and franchises and allowing, essentially, "all stories to matter and count" in terms of continuity, even where things seem contradictory. There's also going to be a lot more synergy between the various parts of the DCU in terms of comics, books, television, film, etc.

I also heard that Warner might be pulling DC out of the monthly comic book business, focusing more on YA books, graphic novels, trades, etc. There seems to be a genuine push to broaden DC's market beyond the 35+ year old white/male comic collector and appeal to a wider base around the entire world. Much of DC's recent restructuring and re-staffing, as well as pulling out of Diamond Distributors and holding their own comic con and likely pulling away from established comic conventions, seems to be pointing in this direction as well.

Wonder Girl as an Indigenous/Brown Brazilian girl as the starting place for this new direction seems like they are actually going to put their money where their mouth is.

I imagine this is going to upset longtime readers/collectors (though I imagine there will still be stuff for us to enjoy), but likely provide a stable future for the industry as a whole.
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 11-17-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Extraordinary Member

The male Cheetah was from Argentina not Brazil, right?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Yeah, remember that awesome comic preview of Yara slaying a dragon? I can't wait to watch the show and see nothing even remotely close to that happening...
    I'd expect as much from Cheap Works.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Looks like DC got it Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)
    For that, she should have been Turkish. Amazons are said to have Turkic roots too.

Bıt anyways I’m ok with a new Wonder Girl. I’ve kept saying that Cassie had outrun her course with the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    The male Cheetah was from Argentina not Brazil, right?
    Sebastian Ballesteros was Argentinian, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Sebastian Ballesteros was Argentinian, yes.
    Oh, that's interesting.
    Brazil and Argentina have a history of being rivals.

Astonishing Member

I saw this news the other day.

No heavy thoughts, but I think the idea of an Amazon from the Amazon is pretty solid pulp concept that fits the modern day zeitgeist well enough, and I think that costume design is fantastic, and I like the prospect of what looks like a clean push for a brand new character (which we could use more of) that is less derivative than the usual (because they're usually just "more Bat-Kids"). You give me fun stories, a tangential relationship to Wonder Woman's world, and some new scenery and world-building in a part of the world that is less explored in these pulpy stories, I'm pretty down.

This'll likely tie into that mysterious Third City of Amazons that Diana and Artemis and Nubia found at the end of Orlando's run, yeah? Wasn't that in South America?

Between this and Vixen headlining a book ... ALSO with a fantastic costume design ... and I'm pretty stoked for the next few months to check it out and see if they've got some storytelling legs.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 11-17-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com