Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I am curious as to what her ties are to Diana and the Amazons. It would help me embrace the character more if there were a strong tie and she's not just some woman who's using the name with no connection.
    I will give the character a chance on her own merits.
    I am confused by this though, as we were told Future State was a two month events and now there's a tv show coming out of it.
    It leaves me a little more confused as to the future direction of DC as a whole.
    Eh, I mean the CW show isn't really indicative of the future of the comics, those are going to be separate bubbles. I would bet the decision to use Yara on the CW has more to do with them not being able to use Diana than an indication of Future State being the future of DC comics. That being said I think it's a given that they will try and incorporate any popular characters from Future State into the main continuity, I mean they'd be stupid not to.

I've wanted Wonder Woman's mythos to get more of a push for so long that I can't really complain about anything. But even with similar elements that Wonder Girl costume is nowhere near as good as Yara Flor's.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I've wanted Wonder Woman's mythos to get more of a push for so long that I can't really complain about anything. But even with similar elements that Wonder Girl costume is nowhere near as good as Yara Flor's.
    Is it even really the Wonder Woman mythos when it focuses on a totally different area that she has no involvement in?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Is it even really the Wonder Woman mythos when it focuses on a totally different area that she has no involvement in?
    Yes, she's another Amazon under Wonder Woman's marquee, no one would care if it weren't for Diana and her name recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    If anyone needs to be shown the door its Donna Troy. The character only works as a younger version of Wonder Woman, the way Robert Kanigher wanted. Oh, and at least Cassie looks different visually too.
    Screw what Kanigher wanted. The guy had a female editor killed in effigy in his run.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-16-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yes, she's another Amazon under Wonder Woman's marquee, no one would care if it weren't for Diana and her name recognition.
    I agree. This consistently keeps Wonder Woman mythos in the public eye for at least 5 years - assuming the show is a decent hit. I don't see how this is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    This two haven’t exactly set the comics world on fire nor have they proven to be on Kara/Barbara’s level of successful spin-off.
    Neither has Yara. It certainly isn't like either Donna or Cassie where given much of a chance for a spin off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Donna and Cassie are, creatively, scorched earth at this point. If Bendis and a TV show couldn’t reignite interest in them, nothing will. It’s time to bench them.
    Donna is appearing on Titans where her character has been well received. Not getting attention from the comics crowd means nothing. WW should have been benched for not selling well in comics despite the popularity of her movie.

I'm willing to give this show a chance but anyone talking about how this means Donna or Cassie should be discarded is seriously jumping the gun and has shown they've learned nothing from the past several years of DC making such atupid decisions.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Donna is appearing on Titans where her character has been well received. Not getting attention from the comics crowd means nothing. WW should have been benched for not selling well in comics despite the popularity of her movie.

I'm willing to give this show a chance but anyone talking about how this means Donna or Cassie should be discarded is seriously jumping the gun and has shown they've learned nothing from the past several years of DC making such atupid decisions.
    I agree. Yara getting a show means nothing about Donna or Cassie. Both could show up on the show as supporting cast, Donna was on Titans and Cassie is on Young Justice. There's more than enough D.C. content to go around and represent a variety of characters.

I hope Donna and Cassie get their due, but I also hope Yara has some kind of relationship/connection to Diana and looks up to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Screw what Kanigher wanted. The guy had a female editor killed in effigy in his run.
    Did this really happen? If so, wow, just wow.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Can you even call Donna or Cassie Wonder Woman characters? They are Titans or Young Justice characters first and have barely been part of the WW franchise in a long time. A new character in Yara might at least afford DC the chance to tie the new Wonder Girl to the WW franchise again.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Damn that was fast. I think Yara looks cool, and I'm getting all the books she's in, but damn it's weird to think the show will have more influence on her than the comics since it'll likely outpace the books.

I really don't like the CW, but I'll give this a shot in hopes it's closer to Black Lightning than Arrow in terms of appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Can you even call Donna or Cassie Wonder Woman characters? They are Titans or Young Justice characters first and have barely been part of the WW franchise in a long time. A new character in Yara might at least afford DC the chance to tie the new Wonder Girl to the WW franchise again.
    I mean, there have been runs where they've been more relevant to the franchise at least.

I'm having very mixed feelings about this. On one hand it's great that Wonderverse is finally getting something, but on the other hand it's a completely new character with no history in the comics (yet). Miles and Kamala had years of stories before they ventured into the other media, it feels like DC is in a hurry to replicate their success without putting as much work in it first. Also I don't like the CW superhero shows in general, so I'm don't have high hope's for it.

I think it's crazy that Yara is getting a series before Diana herself though. Yeah, there was that Lynda Carter show but that was decades ago. Geez, at least give her an animated series or something. There's really no excuse not to if they're willing to do it for a brand new character.

As for Donna and Cassie...Sigh, I guess the Wonder Girl mantle is about to become the next Robin. Cassie definitely should get a new name then. Is Olympia taken?