Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Thoughts on Mark Waid's JLA run?

The pair of Mark Waid and Bryan Hitch seems like a dream team for the Justice League, just as suited to the franch as Grant Morrison and Howard Porter. However, while the Morrison/Porter JLA run is still remembered to day as some of the finest superhero comics put to print, Waid and Hitch's tenure on the title is scarecly brought up, and when it is, it's viewed universally as a disapointment. Why is this?

The most concrete answer I found is the sheer amount of fill in art due to Hitch's struggle to turn in deadlines. This is a fair criticism, but in my opinion Waid's writing was spot on: Waid managed to turn silly concepts reminiscent of the Silver Age, such as seperating the Justice League's alter egos into seperate entities, into horrifying, world ending events that only the JLA would be equipped to handle.

I feel this run's greatest sin is it doesn't add anything new to the mythology. Nothing in Waid's JLA has any affect on the DC Universe.

In a mere 42 issues (minus fill ins) Grant Morrison's JLA established dozens of new concepts, directions, and characters that were still used long after it ended.

-Introduction of Zauriel
    -Introduction of Solaris
    -Introduction of Prometheus
    -Introduction of White Martians
    -Rebooted the Shaggy Man
    -Rebooted the Key
    -Rebooted the Injustice Gang
    -Rebooted Starro
    -Killed off Metamorpho, lasting years
    -Influenceal on the modern portrayal of Batmam
    -Rare appearance of The Sandman in a superhero comic
    -Influenced the Superhero genre in the 21st century
    -First Justice League featuring the Trinity in over a decade

The accomplishments of Waid's run pale on comparisln
    -Batman is kicked off the JLA but comes back
    -Queen of Fables is introduced
    -Return of the White Martians
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 11-16-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I mean he solidified Batgod with Tower of Babel, so while it's one of the most influential JLA stories of all time, goddamn if it didn't plant an orchard of sour grapes for a lot of fans.

It's been so long since I read his run that my opinion on it is moot, but I have no doubt time hasn't sweetened it for those who don't count the pointed ear Gothamite as their favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I mean he solidified Batgod with Tower of Babel, so while it's one of the most influential JLA stories of all time, goddamn if it didn't plant an orchard of sour grapes for a lot of fans.

It's been so long since I read his run that my opinion on it is moot, but I have no doubt time hasn't sweetened it for those who don't count the pointed ear Gothamite as their favorite.
    Ironic given the story was meant to deconstruct Batman’s prep time traits and that taking his paranoia/cynicism to its logical conclusion ultimately would blow up in his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The pair of Mark Waid and Bryan Hitch seems like a dream team for the Justice League, just as suited to the franch as Grant Morrison and Howard Porter. However, while the Morrison/Porter JLA run is still remembered to day as some of the finest superhero comics put to print, Waid and Hitch's tenure on the title is scarecly brought up, and when it is, it's viewed universally as a disapointment. Why is this?

The most concrete answer I found is the sheer amount of fill in art due to Hitch's struggle to turn in deadlines. This is a fair criticism, but in my opinion Waid's writing was spot on: Waid managed to turn silly concepts reminiscent of the Silver Age, such as seperating the Justice League's alter egos into seperate entities, into horrifying, world ending events that only the JLA would be equipped to handle.
    I thought Waid delivered the ULTIMATE League story with JLA HEAVENS LADDER. Waid is a nigh unparalleled writer and I felt his run is underappreciated due to the inconsistencies in artistic support but when it was on, it was ON

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Batman was already Batgod in Morrison's JLA, but in not nearly as jarring a way as in Tower of Bebel I'll give you that.

I dont have much to say but volume 1 of Morrison jla was really forgettable.. or did I miss something...

Volume 2 is way more exciting.

Havent cracked 3 or 4 yet.

I remember being so pumped to see Hitch's art on JLA, coming off of Authority it felt like a dream come true. Ultimately found the run underwhelming and jumped ship before the "separate alter egos" story finished. Just felt like Waid was not a good fit for the title, at least not at that time, although i've enjoyed his work on other titles, so i'm not quite sure why he couldn't make it work. Even the giant-sized Heaven's Ladder didn't have the greatest story despite Hitch's beautiful art. Morrison's run was so much more memorable imo and tbh I actually preferred Joe Kelly's subsequent JLA run over Waid's.

Don't forget Aquaman kissing Wonder Woman out of Sleeping Beauty .

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I enjoyed Waid's JLA by and large, though it did run out of steam before he left the book. In all honesty, though, there probably hasn't been as good a JLA comic since Waid left the book - though Kelly did some very decent stuff as well.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Waids run on JLA is my favorite run on JLA. (My favorite Justice League is JLI though).

Tower of Babel was great and the ID Story and issue #50 in particular was outstanding. I am a character over plot guy which is probably why I enjoy Waids stuff more than Morrisons. Waid nailed everyones voice. Love his entire run. Wish he was on it longer.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Waids run on JLA is my favorite run on JLA. (My favorite Justice League is JLI though).

Tower of Babel was great and the ID Story and issue #50 in particular was outstanding. I am a character over plot guy which is probably why I enjoy Waids stuff more than Morrisons. Waid nailed everyones voice. Love his entire run. Wish he was on it longer.
    Amen. It was the perfect comedown from Morrison's run in that it prioritized characters more. Loved Hitch's art too.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

While I do enjoy Waid's issues as much as Morrison's, his tenure always felt like a fill-in that kept getting extended.

The art was definitely better - I'll take early Hitch over early Porter any day of the week. However these days, both are far from favorites. I'll agree with others; "Heaven's Ladder" and "Tower of Babel" are the highlights.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Don't forget Aquaman kissing Wonder Woman out of Sleeping Beauty .
    Both Morrison and Waid's JLA seemed to be amping up towards a Wonder Woman/Aquaman romance, but to my knowledge, once Joe Kelly hopped aboard, this subplot was completely dropped in favor of a Batman/Wonder Woman relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Both Morrison and Waid's JLA seemed to be amping up towards a Wonder Woman/Aquaman romance, but to my knowledge, once Joe Kelly hopped aboard, this subplot was completely dropped in favor of a Batman/Wonder Woman relationship.
    Hopefully one of these days DC writers will stop trying to make WW arm candy for some League member.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hopefully one of these days DC writers will stop trying to make WW arm candy for some League member.
    Agree.

The only one I ever liked was with Superman and Wonder Woman in Kingdom Come because both of their true loves, Lois Lane and Steve Trevor, had already passed on.