Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Three Characters Operating As One Heroic Entity

Anyone else think this idea should be played with more? Seems like it makes it harder for in-universe characters to discover who's beneath the cowl, since the heroic identity can operate at the same time as two of the secret identities. It's probably also easier to maintain consistent patrols, since two of the three can take a night or two off.

I know we've seen this sort of happen when a character "dies" and someone else later takes up the mantle or when there are two or more people with the same superhero name, but having more than one person simultaneously trying to give the impression of being the same person (not just using the same name) doesn't really happen much. The only example I can think of is the Batwomen above.

I feel like there's been an instance of this in the comics (I'm not sure if it was within the Batfamily) but I can't quite recall it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like there's been an instance of this in the comics (I'm not sure if it was within the Batfamily) but I can't quite recall it.
    I remember the panels, but not the source. I want to say it was something like Convergence, but that's a shot in the dark.

Too religious an idea for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Too religious an idea for me.
    Azrael, lol?
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-19-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Azrael, lol?
    Holy Trinity. Even though they're posting in the forum of 1/3 of the Trinity of the DCU.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Ironically, the only examples of this I can think don't count. Scream and Saw's villains did this.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Holy Trinity. Even though they're posting in the forum of 1/3 of the Trinity of the DCU.
    But in this question, it's essentially three beings operating as one.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only example I can come up with is the Ladyhawk twins, Regina and Rosetta Morgan from the Spider-Girl series.

But I like the concept.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But in this question, it's essentially three beings operating as one.
    I know-- Just pointing out that "Azrael" in the Bat mythology has religious undertones already. And between Jean-Paul Valley and Michael Lane, you have at least two people already associated with the identity.

Incredible Member

i can think of the crimson fox and girl archer. Both mantles were used by twins
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I know-- Just pointing out that "Azrael" in the Bat mythology has religious undertones already. And between Jean-Paul Valley and Michael Lane, you have at least two people already associated with the identity.
    There have been plenty of characters with religious connections (hello Wonder Woman and Thor) whether Christian or not.
    And there have been several characters who have worn the same mantle/title. (How many people have been Batman? Robin? Batgirl?)

But I'm specifically talking about three characters portraying one single identity AT THE SAME PERIOD OF TIME.

Extraordinary Member

The problem is you need them to all have similar builds as well as similar skills. For instance, if Steph and Babs both wore the full mask costume Cass wears they might be able to fool the riffraff into thinking there's one Batgirl when in reality there's three, but an opponent who's paying attention or is above a certain skill level would realize that 2/3 of the time Batgirl is a much worse fighter than she is that last third. Or when Bruce had to be replaced with Jean Paul Valley and then with Dick. Jean Paul could pull off the deception until he started to go crazy, but Gordon realized right away that Dick wasn't the right Batman because he was too short and that he got the voice wrong. Even when Bruce and Dick were operating as Batman at the same time it wasn't an effective way to fool people and they even wore different costumes. It's extremely rare to have a situation like Mystery of the Batwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The problem is you need them to all have similar builds as well as similar skills. For instance, if Steph and Babs both wore the full mask costume Cass wears they might be able to fool the riffraff into thinking there's one Batgirl when in reality there's three, but an opponent who's paying attention or is above a certain skill level would realize that 2/3 of the time Batgirl is a much worse fighter than she is that last third. Or when Bruce had to be replaced with Jean Paul Valley and then with Dick. Jean Paul could pull off the deception until he started to go crazy, but Gordon realized right away that Dick wasn't the right Batman because he was too short and that he got the voice wrong. Even when Bruce and Dick were operating as Batman at the same time it wasn't an effective way to fool people and they even wore different costumes. It's extremely rare to have a situation like Mystery of the Batwoman.
    It probably helped that the Batwomen used a voice-changer to keep the mystery going.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    The only example I can come up with is the Ladyhawk twins, Regina and Rosetta Morgan from the Spider-Girl series.

But I like the concept.
    It’s an interesting concept, yeah!
    Marvel’s Team America could create a persona, the Black Rider, who’d possess different ppl.
    Aside from Ladyhawk and Crimson Fox, DC’s Trident was three ppl as one villain. The Red Hood identity was used by multiple ppl in multiple crimes.

I believe Tangent Comics’ Joker was three ppl.
    Mary Marvel, Lori Lemaris, Madame Christy Xanadu.