Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Movies that remind you of OTHER movies?

I saw Shadow in the cloud a few weeks ago. The plot revolves around a woman on WW2 bomber that is being menaced by a bat-like gremlin. It was a lot like the John Lithgow segment of the Twilight Zone film and an ad I saw for Zone Troopers, where a WW2 GI unit come across an alien spacecraft.

What else reminds you of other films?

Well, off the top of my head: The Force Awakens was a hell of a lot like A New Hope.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 03:09 PM.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Retired

When I saw BLACK SWAN it reminded me of SHOWGIRLS (seriously), but SHOWGIRLS is the better movie.

Well, the Transformers movie Bumblebee has a lot of parallels to The Iron Giant, right down to the titular robot going into battle mode in the final act but being talked down by their human friend.

I think J.J. Abrams' two Star Trek movies feel a bit like his Star Wars work in tone and style. Heck, the works even parallel each other, with his first Trek and Wars movie being well received franchise restarts, but the second ones being far less well received with convoluted plots that don't make much sense and indulging in fan service at the expense of the movie.

Don't think that its a bad thing if the movies work on their own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Well, off the top of my head: The Force Awakens was a hell of a lot like A New Hope.
    It's Star Wars; that's how the Force works.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Retired

When I saw STAR WARS (and yes it was STAR WARS--it was never A NEW HOPE--why would millions of people go to a movie with that name--that is just revisionism), when I saw STAR WARS, I immediately thought of THUNDERBIRDS--because the animated rocket ships reminded me of that. The next thing I thought of was the old FLASH GORDON serial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When I saw STAR WARS (and yes it was STAR WARS--it was never A NEW HOPE--why would millions of people go to a movie with that name--that is just revisionism), when I saw STAR WARS, I immediately thought of THUNDERBIRDS--because the animated rocket ships reminded me of that. The next thing I thought of was the old FLASH GORDON serial.
    Im with you on this. When I talk about the series everyone I know including myself always says Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. If we had some drinks we may talk about the prequels. If anyone in are group ever brought up the newest they are shown the door and cant return with out a public admission of their lameness.

But you are right it is always Star Wars never A New hope. Now I have heard Star Wars a New Hope but have never heard Star wars Empire Strikes back.

I wonder why that is. Some one less lazy then me should get to the bottom of this,
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

The Matrix reminds me a lot of Dark City, which used similar sets and I liked a lot better...

I was watching this Hallmark movie and it so reminded me of this other Hallmark movie.

It was the one where the city girl goes back to her home town and finds the guy she used to date and then falls in love with him all over again.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Recent Denzel movie The Little Things felt like the first draft of the movie Seven. First draft because it seems like a pale imitation, a worse version, thus the first draft, none of the main characters compare favorably to their Seven analogs and the "happier?" ending seemed cheaper. In my mind the Little Things was the first draft that got work shopped and improved on for years and eventually becomes Seven.

Kick Ass, Super, and Defendor are all great movies with their own story to tell - but I see why they get compared to each other.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I was watching this Hallmark movie and it so reminded me of this other Hallmark movie.

It was the one where the city girl goes back to her home town and finds the guy she used to date and then falls in love with him all over again.
    Or she meets a handsome new man who turns out to be a prince.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    That's immediately what I thought of when I read the title to this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    That's immediately what I thought of when I read the title to this thread
    It's the obvious answer. Or maybe great minds just think alike!
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Mighty Member

Walk Hard reminds me a lot of early Steve Martin (the Jerk/Man with two brains)

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

Was she the late 20's/early 30's white, single, Christian, college educated & HIGHLY successful, yet career driven woman? She's my favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Or she meets a handsome new man who turns out to be a prince.
    Oh I love that it's always a Man that's incidentally over 6 feet tall, makes well over 6 figures & is so handsome, yet somehow is inexplicably available & decides to settle at that exact moment for a early 30's female. Those are now my favorites!!
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 02-11-2021 at 02:40 PM. Reason: I love Hallmark movies!!!