Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    There is a rumor that DC will abandon shared continuity and play more into individual hero continuity.
    I hasten to add that DC was hyping up something like this for DCYou, and all the happened was Johns JL ignored the status quo of Batman and Superman. I don’t think it will be as extreme as rumors make it out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Doesn't that meant that the last 30 years have been pointless?
    Vast swaths of DC continuity are already pointless. Byrne’s stuff is out and has been for a while. They retconned WW’s origin again, meaning Rucka’s origin got retconned out. Nothing from Pre-FP Aquaman has carried over. The past 30 years continuity is already patchy at best.

whats an omniverse again? i thought the metal stuff was being called depressoverse. Or am i off about that too?
    edit: apparently depressoverse was just a joke from Morrison's GL, lol and Laufeyson you were right wbout the rest, thanks.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 11-19-2020 at 08:37 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    whats an omniverse again? i thought the metal stuff was being called depressoverse. Or am i off about that too?
    The Omniverse is everything while the Metal is Multiverse. The Omniverse of DC will encompass everything whether it's the 52 main Universes or the Dark Multiverse. So you are right quite right on track at that.

I hasten to add that DC was hyping up something like this for DCYou, and all the happened was Johns JL ignored the status quo of Batman and Superman. I don’t think it will be as extreme as rumors make it out to be.
    I hope this is what happens because while DC is not a house built on shared continuity like Marvel is, it's still have 30+ years of shared continuity, so it will be the same if all of those years are thrown away.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

With pre crisis Superboy and Dominus coming back... I know Generations or whatever is just another fleeting thing but I hope we're getting a future uncapped
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Idk about the main continuity Superman but I'd like to see the Future Slate SuperGladiator thing become and ongoing bit. Also bring back Kenan Kong and JLC.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

It can go anywhere and do anything... Up, Up and Away!

Uh... but as far as Mark Waid's run, I don't know. I have listened to a few of his interviews recently and I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he was re-reading old Superboy and Legion stuff. What does it mean? Maybe more Silver Age stuff? I'm not sure what Waid's opinion on the past decade of Superman books is, but it might inform what direction he wants to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    It can go anywhere and do anything... Up, Up and Away!

Uh... but as far as Mark Waid's run, I don't know. I have listened to a few of his interviews recently and I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he was re-reading old Superboy and Legion stuff. What does it mean? Maybe more Silver Age stuff? I'm not sure what Waid's opinion on the past decade of Superman books is, but it might inform what direction he wants to go in.
    He strongly disliked Byrne’s reboot, and was part of the Superman 2000 brain trust that pitched a pretty radical overhaul of the character. Creatively I’d say Kurt Busiek and Grant Morrison are the two people who are similar in viewpoint to Waid. That said Waid isn’t a blind Silver Age fanboy, at least not in my eyes. He’s the one who pushed Wally and Bart to new heights, and likes Wally more than Barry. His Birthright origin was far more “modern” than say Johns Secret Origin was. His Legion of Superheroes revamp was definitely not the Silver Age or the Giffen Legions.

So he’d definitely bring back some Pre Crisis stuff, maybe he’d kill the Kents off down the road (he prefers them dead), but who knows? Maybe he won’t do any of that. Very interested to see what his “Last Days” story for Superman in the upcoming Death Metal tie-in is like.

I’m not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to older comics. I know a bit about the Crisis story from the 80’s. (A friend gave me his collected edition to read once. I couldn’t finish the first issue. ). Anyway, I worry when I see comments that Waid might introduce pre-Crisis elements. Shouldn’t comics go forward and not bring ideas back from so long ago? I’ve seen some older comics and they’re brutal. I don’t want to read about evil scientists, giant robots, & secret identities. If whoever replace Bendis doesn’t build in his work, I’m out. Writers should be about exploring new ground to me.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 11-19-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I’m not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to older comics. I know a bit about the Crisis story from the 80’s. (A friend gave me his collected edition to read once. I couldn’t finish the first issue. ). Anyway, I worry when I see comments that Waid might introduce pre-Crisis elements. Shouldn’t comics go forward and not bring ideas back from so long ago? I’ve seen some older comics and they’re brutal. I don’t want to read about evil scientists, giant robots, & secret identities. If whoever replace Bendis doesn’t build in his work, I’m out. Writers should be about exploring new ground to me.
    Creators often draw ideas from the period of a character they think was "best". This period is usually the period of time they got into comics. Didio is often criticised for trying his hardest to revert the characters to the ideas and status quo from around the 70's. Many of his business practices come from this time too, ironically. Tynion is also doing something similar for his Batman run. Since he got into Batman during the late 90's/early 2000's he prefers Barbara as Oracle and tries to push characters like Tim and Cassandra back into relevancy.

To answer your question more directly - writers only wish to reintroduce the characters and status quo of the period they like, but not necessarily the way they were written and their ideas/tropes. We're far removed from that antiquated style of storytelling at this point (although I do enjoy the camp).

I agree about moving forward to new ground too, but it just doesn't seem to happen often, for whatever reason. If I had to attribute a reason, it would most likely be negative fan reception. There's a fair contingent of people who dislike the introduction of Jon as Clark's son. On the other hand, many dislike Bendis and Clark revealing his identity to the world. Perhaps the reason there is so little forward momentum to explore new areas and ideas of a character is because constant negative fan reaction to every little change hinders the process too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Dude how can you not like giant robots! Are Sentinels not cool as hell for you?

That said Waid isn’t going to go back to the storytelling methods of Pre-Crisis. A good example of what Waid would do is Johns revamp of Brainiac. Johns restored Brainiac to how he was Pre-Crisis, an alien flying around in a skull-ship who abducted cities from other worlds including Kandor. But he also revamped him in that Brainiac abducted cities for the purpose of increasing his knowledge and evolution, gave him the ability to “body surf” into different forms, and basically helped show how some of the old concepts still could work.

Morrison did something similar with his Kryptonite Man revamp. Clay Ramses was a wife beater who volunteered to be turned into K-Man for the purpose of beating the location of his wife out of Superman. Now he had a topical motive for fighting Superman that was just lust for power or hating Superman for being good.

Waid would do stuff like that and has already. His Birthright origin brought back Lex and Clark knowing each other as kids and is the best modern rendition of that development. He’d do new stuff though, Superman 2000 was packed full of new ideas and revamps. His Daredevil run had a ton of new ideas and helped move Murdock forward, or so I understand as I haven’t read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Vast swaths of DC continuity are already pointless. Byrne’s stuff is out and has been for a while. They retconned WW’s origin again, meaning Rucka’s origin got retconned out. Nothing from Pre-FP Aquaman has carried over. The past 30 years continuity is already patchy at best.
    Wondy's had another origin after Rebirth?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Wondy's had another origin after Rebirth?
    No they just rendered her current origin impossible, which is typical DC bullshit. She apparently debuted during WW2 which means the Rucka origin could not have happened given that’s set in the modern day.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No they just rendered her current origin impossible, which is typical DC bullshit. She apparently debuted during WW2 which means the Rucka origin could not have happened given that’s set in the modern day.
    Not if you explain it as the Olympian Gods temporarily folding time back on itself so that Diana can be reunited with Steve Trevor, who'd died back in the 1950s or something. There's plenty of ways for creators (and readers) to have their cake and eat it, too. Just takes a little imagination and regularly occurring time shenanigans to explain anything you want away.

Astonishing Member

Maybe DC's approach in 2021 will be just to say that every superhero (and every villain) has at aleast a dozen different origin stories, and they're all true. Now, here's what happens next...

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Not if you explain it as the Olympian Gods temporarily folding time back on itself so that Diana can be reunited with Steve Trevor, who'd died back in the 1950s or something. There's plenty of ways for creators (and readers) to have their cake and eat it, too. Just takes a little imagination and regularly occurring time shenanigans to explain anything you want away.
    Except that’s insanely convoluted and on par with “Time Trapper made a parallel pocket universe to explain why Superboy was able to hang out with the Legion post Byrne” and Donna Troy’s origins. Those kinds of convoluted explanations don’t work because they make stuff over complicated for the casuals. Trying to have your cake and eat it hasn’t worked for DC so far.

The whole reason for the change was movie synergy. Movie synergy doesn’t work the moment you go “it’s just like that movie you saw but...” because the “but” is always something off putting to newcomers. That’s my opinion anyway, me, I’m just disappointed because I don’t think whatever new origin Diana gets is going to be better than what Rucka gave her.
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-20-2020 at 07:40 AM.