Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I'm excited for Yara, don't misunderstand me, but I do think that having her as a new wondergirl posses more issues that open up even more issues to deal with. Like she hasn't even been in a book yet. I'm guessing she gets her powers from Incan Gods (not Mayan, my bad about that).The only connection to Diana is the fact she is (probably?) from the 3rd lost tribe of the amazons. Cassie and Donna are already underutilized, now they might as well disappear. Donna's place in the mythos is a whole other problem itself tbh.

Like I already have a problem with the absolute laziness that is slapping "of China" to Wonder Woman and giving it to Peng because the creator couldn't take one extra step to give any of his characters moderately different hero names.
    But that was specifically the premise of the book. China’s own Superman, Batman, etc.....

I'm excited for Yara, don't misunderstand me, but I do think that having her as a new wondergirl posses more issues that open up even more issues to deal with. Like she hasn't even been in a book yet. I'm guessing she gets her powers from Incan Gods (not Mayan, my bad about that).The only connection to Diana is the fact she is (probably?) from the 3rd lost tribe of the amazons. Cassie and Donna are already underutilized, now they might as well disappear. Donna's place in the mythos is a whole other problem itself tbh.

Like I already have a problem with the absolute laziness that is slapping "of China" to Wonder Woman and giving it to Peng because the creator couldn't take one extra step to give any of his characters moderately different hero names.
    Well the point of that book was that they were off brand, knock-offs. We just don't know what Yara's connection to Diana will be. Maybe Yara idolizes her and models herself as her demigod powers develop? Maybe Diana will actually take her under her wing? Who knows, we'll have to see.

(Also, Inca are way west from her. She'll likely have her roots with in native amazon rainforest myths since we know that she's apparently the daughter of a Brazilian river god.)

Haha that was a plot point! The Great Ten specifically called out the Chinese government operative Dr. Omen on how she was putting together a bootleg Justice League. Yang was exploring the way China consumes and regurgitates modern American culture for its own purposes. The JLC was explicitly designed to be the Justice League but for China, which is why they got copycat names. If the series had lasted longer Yang has said he would’ve given them original names.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Well the point of that book was that they were off brand, knock-offs. We just don't know what Yara's connection to Diana will be. Maybe Yara idolizes her and models herself as her demigod powers develop? Maybe Diana will actually take her under her wing? Who knows, we'll have to see.

(Also, Inca are way west from her. She'll likely have her roots with in native amazon rainforest myths since we know that she's apparently the daughter of a Brazilian river god.)
    Yeah all the most popular ancient Native American empires/civilizations are all far away from where Yara comes from. The Incas are too far West (Peru, Bolivia, Chile area), Mayans are too far North (Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Mexico) and the Aztecs/Olmecs are even further North than the Mayans. We’ll see what they do. Maybe they’ll just have her be from a local Brazilian tribe or combine all the Mesoamericans into one... who knows.

Now I hope Maria comes into continuity and teams up with Yara.

Edit: Kind of reminds me of what JK Rowling did with the Wizarding World. Put a school in Brazil but then used Mayan/Aztec/Inca architecture and mythology despite none of those civilizations having anything to do with Brazil

I would hate if they mixed up cultures like that. They said amazon rainforest so they should just commit to that. Less information to go in, I guess, but her stories don't need to revolve around myths all the time. Just get home tribe.

Though from the Future State solicits we see she'll also be dealing with Greek gods too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Haha that was a plot point! The Great Ten specifically called out the Chinese government operative Dr. Omen on how she was putting together a bootleg Justice League. Yang was exploring the way China consumes and regurgitates modern American culture for its own purposes. The JLC was explicitly designed to be the Justice League but for China, which is why they got copycat names. If the series had lasted longer Yang has said he would’ve given them original names.
    Oh dang, I didn't know that, I always assumed it was just that way.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I still don’t know. This new character gets all this popularity but Donna and Cassie aren’t getting anything. I mean they could have her meet with the other Amazons l. That she met Diana.

What is going on with JLC? Are they fighting for justice or the government ?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 11-24-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I still don’t know. This new character gets all this popularity but Donna and Cassie aren’t getting anything. I mean they could have her meet with the other Amazons l. That she met Diana.

It would be nice if her Wonder Girl book has her meeting Donna and Cassie at some point.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

With Joelle being Brazilian, I’m hoping she doesn’t stray too far from the local mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post

The JLC rebelled and left government control - then recruited a North Korean as their Aquaman.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    With Joelle being Brazilian, I’m hoping she doesn’t stray too far from the local mythology.
    Is she? I thought Joelle Jones was from Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if she'll have a different costume as Wonder Girl.
    I hope not, hers is perfect.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Is she? I thought Joelle Jones was from Idaho.
    Joelle is not Brazilian. Bilquis Evely, who used to draw wonder woman, that actually is from Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I hope not, hers is perfect.
    I'm not knocking the costume, I'd just assume that like with any character there would be costume progression to where she's not wearing the same thing as Wonder Woman that she wore as a teenager...although if she becomes Wonder Girl for the longhaul, they may as well keep the costume.

I doubt she’ll ever really become Wonder Woman. So she will most likely have a similar costume to her future state Wonder Woman