Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    It was Orlando's run that hinted at the Amazon, not Rucka's.

Cassie or Donna not being used as Wonder Woman probably has to do with 5G leftovers and Didio hating existing legacy characters.
    Unfortunately, I think Cassie o Donna not being used as Wonder Woman isn't just Didio.

Cassie and Donna were mishandled so much time that their popularity is affected. Also, they were always more related to other franchises, not Wonder Woman franchise.

Not to mention that DC likely want to complete the new young Trinity.

So, it has sense they will use a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So far reading the AMA they will at least appear. I just feel like Dc needs to stop making new characters for Diana. They could have used Cassie or Donna for Wonder Woman but had to make Yara. But I guess it's because Rucka did want to go to the Amazon. It was hinted at in his run
    Isn’t Future State set in a hypothetical future timeline? There have been plenty of stories set alternate futures and timelines that have used Cassie as Wonder Woman (I think DCeased is the most recent one) & Donna has already been Wonder Woman, so why go back and do it again? They’ve had their time in the spotlight as Wonder Woman & it’s time to move on.

Yara seems to be resonating with people in a very positive way and is unencumbered by the “churn of continuity” and multiple origin resets. She’s a clean slate and could prove to be just the shot in the arm “Wonder Girl” needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep but he’s Robin in both of those which pretty perfectly illustrates his problem: People only like Tim as Robin. He hasn’t found any success beyond that role like Dick and Jason have, and Damian is too popular to be pushed out of the role in the comics arena.

The same may hold true for Cassie, I mean Donna certainly hasn’t achieved any success once she gave up being Wonder Girl.
    Donna will be fine if DC don't screw her over.
    She is part of Teen Titans Academy and is set to come back to the Titans show, where she one of the fan favorites.

Cassie doesn't have a home cause Bendis did the impossible and made a boring Young Justice comic book. The only place she might pop up is in the fourth season of the YJ cartoon and even there she doesn't have much spotlight.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Donna will be fine if DC don't screw her over.
    She is part of Teen Titans Academy and is set to come back to the Titans show, where she one of the fan favorites.

Cassie doesn't have a home cause Bendis did the impossible and made a boring Young Justice comic book. The only place she might pop up is in the fourth season of the YJ cartoon and even there she doesn't have much spotlight.
    Yeah. Teen Titans Academy is no good - too crowded already. Wonder Woman certainly won't be using the wider family for the first few months at least. And yeah, there won't be a new Young Justice comic any time soon.

I see people keep saying Cassie should be the new Fury. If she did, it would make sense for her to join the Justice Society (since Fury was originally associated with Infinity Inc) - or if there's two JSA teams (which considering Alan and Stargirl have separate stories in Infinite Frontier #0, I wonder if there might be), the All-Stars (which would be largely a Stargirl TV synergy team, but no harm adding a few extra members, since the TV JSA is only four members right now).

They need to do something. It's fine having Yara around, but it's definitely a concern that she'll overshadow the other Wonder Girls.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-05-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    Isn’t Future State set in a hypothetical future timeline? There have been plenty of stories set alternate futures and timelines that have used Cassie as Wonder Woman (I think DCeased is the most recent one) & Donna has already been Wonder Woman, so why go back and do it again? They’ve had their time in the spotlight as Wonder Woman & it’s time to move on.

Yara seems to be resonating with people in a very positive way and is unencumbered by the “churn of continuity” and multiple origin resets. She’s a clean slate and could prove to be just the shot in the arm “Wonder Girl” needed.
    But will the media interest in Yara Flor spark fan and creator interest in the creation of a proper Wonder Woman family - Diana, the Queen, Donna, Artemis, Cassie and Hermes? We haven't had one, since the late Sixties.

Will Yara be urbanized, as in moved to an America city to chase bank-robbers? I certainly hope not. As much as I've been beating the drums for Donna to become, as a rural or small town Wonder-person, ..I would prefer Yara stay South of the Border and a frequent visitor of the American Southwest.

Truthfully, don't see why anyone from Paradise Island would want to live in any American Northeast cities, anyway, ..or any other big U.S. cities. Not anymore...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-05-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    But will the media interest in Yara Flor spark fan and creator interest in the creation of a proper Wonder Woman family - Diana, the Queen, Donna, Artemis, Cassie and Hermes? We haven't had one, since the late Sixties.

Will Yara be urbanized, as in moved to an America city to chase bank-robbers? I certainly hope not. As much as I've been beating the drums for Donna to become, as a rural or small town Wonder-person, ..I would prefer Yara stay South of the Border and a frequent visitor of the American Southwest.

Truthfully, don't see why anyone from Paradise Island would want to live in any American Northeast cities, anyway, ..or any other big U.S. cities. Not anymore...
    Yara was raised in Boise, Idaho.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Well, Diana started out in London - it's where she met Bar Minerva and Steve. I'd like to see Diana and Yara in the American West, ..with Diana in a city, like Roswell, NM, and Donna, farther up the coast, in Twin Pea...I mean Elexinor.

And sure--Yara can stay connected to Idaho. Being Latino, I'd still like to see her based in Latin America.

I don't care what you do with Cassie. Leave her in Gateway? Don't care, after DC made her Superboy's chicky and made her too good-looking. She's ruined, as I see it.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-05-2021 at 10:40 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I trust Joelle Jones and will read whatever she's working on- but couldn't Yara just be from Brazil? Does every character have to be filtered through a US lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I trust Joelle Jones and will read whatever she's working on- but couldn't Yara just be from Brazil? Does every character have to be filtered through a US lens?
    It's probably for the Wonder Girl TV series since I doubt the whole show will take place in Brazil. It's for an American audience after all and most Americans aren't fluent in Spanish.

Her original intention for the comic might have been to have her be raised in Brazil but she could have been forced to change it for the TV Show. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    It's probably for the Wonder Girl TV series since I doubt the whole show will take place in Brazil. It's for an American audience after all and most Americans aren't fluent in Spanish.
    Not to harp too hard on this, but the national language of Brazil is portuguese, not spanish. They were the only country in South America colonized by Portugal and controlled by them until the 1800s.

Both languages have similarities since Portugal and Spain are right next to each other in the same peninsula, but Portugal has been independent since 1000AD, and was founded even earlier than that. A lot of gramatical similarities but half the words are written differently and nearly all of them are pronounced in a totally different way. The accent in Brazil is also completely different from both Portugal and all spanish speaking nations.

Bit of colonial and pre-medieval history for the whole family.
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-07-2021 at 05:52 PM.

I'm guessing that German-Dutch are probably a good comparison to spanish-portuguese, but I don't speak the 2 forme languages fluently so I wouldn't be able to verify.

Is anyone else sad that we won't get to see Jerry in the Wondergirl tv show? I want a freaking pegasus on tv. Is that really so hard to do?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

Her original intention for the comic might have been to have her be raised in Brazil but she could have been forced to change it for the TV Show. Who knows.
    I dont see why her being from Brazil would be a problem. Diana doesnt need to be from America. Either way she'd end up in America (aka Vancouver)

And since Joelle Jones never actually lived in Brazil, I'm guessing she didn't want to write a character that grew up there either because it could be become strange. Specially since she specifically said the inspiration came from attending comic con and seeing the huge number of fans there, so she wouldn't wanna write stories that mischaracterized the place.

Heck, the "portuguese" we see on the Future State comic (Superman /Wonder Woman I think) reminds me of how eastasian stereotypes speak english in films. They completely misunderstand the grammatical articles, mispronounce words, and butcher expressions.
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-07-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I dont see why her being from Brazil would be a problem. Diana doesnt need to be from America. Either way she'd end up in America (aka Vancouver)
    I'm pretty sure Yara is gonna live in Brazil. At least in Future State that's where we saw her, both in her own book and 20 years later in Superman / Wonder Woman