Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 256 to 263 of 263
  1. #256
    Astonishing Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Remember when Spider-Man started shouting "No One Dies" everywhere like a small child having a tantrum? Ha.....bad times.
    Characters even pointed out to Peter how naíve it was for him to try that "No one dies" shit, like, sure, his heart was definitely in the right place, and trying harder to be a better hero is admirable, but shit happens, can't save everyone...

    I only caught the back half of King's run but I will say I found it to be pretty disappointing, honestly. So this comparison Scares me.
    I dropped King's run before it got really bad, so my experience is limited, but Spencer can be comparable with King in how some issues can be pretty damn boring, but not the character destroying shit with bad dialogue that King does... Or at least not in ASM so far, 'cause Spencer did make Hydra Cap lol.

    I think this is a fair criticism of Spencer's run. It's been a run that fixes everything in the past decade (or two) that's gone wrong with the character. I'd also agree that it's not that exciting. But...it's also kind of enough for me right now? Like after seeing the character be abused for so long and juust so many stupid things happen it's just satisfying to see so many things set right...and in a quiet non-bombastic way, too. It's not some hyped thing, it's just "yeah we're not doing that anymore". Now, I do think he's coasting on that fact. This is not a spectacular book right now. It's kinda dull. But I'd take dull over it breaking crap all the time.
    While it's nice that Spencer's run restores some other stuff and removes annoying shit, he should really avoid playing too safe, otherwise we get another run like Byrne's, where it was mostly a bunch of dull stories with no consequences, or anything lol.

    Spencer's run is not on Byrne's level of boring, but sometimes it gets close, and that shouldn't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At this point I feel like "reads better in a trade" is more of a criticism, rather than a feature, of this run.
    "Reads better in trade" may mean "The story is good but it's even better in trade", or "The story has bad pacing and the only good shit happens near the end", and unfortunately, Last Remains is the second kind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    is "reads better in a trade" the equivalent of reading an entire volume of a manga? And if so whats more important for comics run? the week to week or the whole volume?
    It's debatable, but think like this, you buy a comic or manga issue, nothing fucking happens, next month or week or whatever you buy another, nothing fucking happens again, now you buy the next issue, stuff starts to become interesting for a bit, and the question is, was this a good reading experience? Were the issues where nothing happened worth the money you wasted? These kinds of questions is why this is very subjective.

    I'm on the opinion that super-heroes shouldn't divide stories too much, because honestly, super-hero comic books can be really bad at decompressed pacing, so having issues where nothing happens and the next issue is a repetition of the previous issue, only with stuff actually happening? This is why one may hate writing for trade, 'cause pages are filled with pointless filler that ads nothing to the experience besides wasting time.

  2. #257
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Spencer's quieter film/tv inspired scenes are some of his coolest stuff and he doesn't do them enough, even if this one shouldn't have been the whole issue. Much better than all the pages wasted in #52 on mindless fighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Guy
    There are creatures science refuses to recognize...but if new technology makes us question what is real...If OUR EYES SEE IT...IF OUR CAMERAS CAPTURE IT...DOES IT EXIST? ENTER A REALM WHERE FACT meets FICTION....SCIENCE meets LEGEND...WHERE NIGHTMARES COME TO LIFE...DO YOU BELIEVE?"

  3. #258
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Lots of hints and teases that at this point it can’t NOT be interested.
    “GOTCHA” is such a good way to reveal yourself. It’s becoming quite clear which is Spencer’s favourite era of Spider-Man. Excited where we go from here. Doesnt feel like we will defeat Kindred at all during Last Remains with only 2 to go.
    it Reminds me of Amazing Spiderman think it was 388

  4. #259
    Incredible Member xpyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    it Reminds me of Amazing Spiderman think it was 388
    The “gotcha”? It was the final page of Amazing Spider-Man 389 and before that it was the opening pages of Spectacular Spider-Man 189. Those are the only two issues I recall at the moment.

  5. #260
    Mighty Member Vortex85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    The “gotcha”? It was the final page of Amazing Spider-Man 389 and before that it was the opening pages of Spectacular Spider-Man 189. Those are the only two issues I recall at the moment.
    Spectacular 221? Not sure if this counts...


  6. #261
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Finally got round to reading this last night. I really like the atmosphere of this issue, it was dark and moody. The fact it was a retelling of the final scene from One More Day was ballsy as Hell. I've heard People say Spencer's run is too safe, and while that may be true at times, he is edging towards stories that are some of the least popular in Spider-Man history. So I wouldn't call it too safe, he'll do a few comforting arcs that don't do much outside what's expected, then he'll slap us with an issue that's essentially going back to One More Day.

    Bagley once again confirms why he is my favourite Spider-Man artist, I'll be happy to have him and Gleasson for a while now. The two styles are similar enough that they aren't jarring when they change, but they're different enough to give each artist their own personality.

    8/10

  7. #262
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Finally got round to reading this last night. I really like the atmosphere of this issue, it was dark and moody. The fact it was a retelling of the final scene from One More Day was ballsy as Hell. I've heard People say Spencer's run is too safe, and while that may be true at times, he is edging towards stories that are some of the least popular in Spider-Man history. So I wouldn't call it too safe, he'll do a few comforting arcs that don't do much outside what's expected, then he'll slap us with an issue that's essentially going back to One More Day.

    Bagley once again confirms why he is my favourite Spider-Man artist, I'll be happy to have him and Gleasson for a while now. The two styles are similar enough that they aren't jarring when they change, but they're different enough to give each artist their own personality.

    8/10
    My take is this. If you are going to take some of the least popular Spider-Man stories of All-Time there better be a payoff that justifies it. The only justification from my perspective is the erasing of OMD.

  8. #263
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    My take is this. If you are going to take some of the least popular Spider-Man stories of All-Time there better be a payoff that justifies it. The only justification from my perspective is the erasing of OMD.
    It's not going to get erased, it'll most likely be acknowledged.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •