Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

There is an interesting wrinkle that it can be hard to split certain stories.

I think Superior Spider-Man will make the list, but would be it be a shorter arc (IE- the first three issues by Slott & Stegman)? Will it be the entire 31 issue mega-arc? Will it be the 31 issues of Superior Spider-Man, and three-part "Dying Wish"? Are they going to figure out another way to qualify a group of issues? My suggestion would be to group the first nine issues with the Ghost Peter plot as one story for these purposes.

Likewise "My Dinner with Jonah" occurs during a 17 issue storyline by Zdarsky.

Nick Spencer & Ryan Ottley's first issue is "Back to Basics Part One." But the rest of the arc covers a different storyline (Peter & Spider-Man split into different personalities.) Is it okay to just consider the first issue, which did get really good reviews, as one story like "Spider-Man No More" isn't necessarily seen as part of a larger arc introducing the Kingpin?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There is an interesting wrinkle that it can be hard to split certain stories.
    That's fair.

I think Superior Spider-Man will make the list, but would be it be a shorter arc (IE- the first three issues by Slott & Stegman)? Will it be the entire 31 issue mega-arc? Will it be the 31 issues of Superior Spider-Man, and three-part "Dying Wish"? Are they going to figure out another way to qualify a group of issues? My suggestion would be to group the first nine issues with the Ghost Peter plot as one story for these purposes.
    The thing is the cut-off point for Superior largely determines the moral argument of the story because there's no single throughline there. If you cut off with the 9th issue and Ghost Peter, then the story becomes about Otto being better than Peter.

So that just confirms that Superior isn't a story of real purpose and worth.

Likewise "My Dinner with Jonah" occurs during a 17 issue storyline by Zdarsky.
    It's a standalone and can be read with no context or reference to anything before or after.

Is it okay to just consider the first issue, which did get really good reviews, as one story like "Spider-Man No More" isn't necessarily seen as part of a larger arc introducing the Kingpin?
    Well it depends. Like ASM#259, the Defalco-Frenz joint where Mary Jane explains her past to Peter has subplots dealing with the go-nowhere Hobgoblin stuff but it's still considered a great issue.

Spectacular Member

I think Spectacular Spider-Man 310 is the easiest addition to best of lists. It was a Wonderfull little story that captured the heart and soul of Spider-Man and it makes me cry every time I read it.

My Dinner with Jonah is another contender, and I would even argue Amazing Fantasy is close. I really liked Chip's Spec run, if you can't tell (even if the time travel story went on too long and had an underwhelming ending with the Sandman plot).

Other than that, I'm left scratching my head. I've enjoyed plenty of stories, but I think the past decade has been kinda rough for Spider-Man in the comics. Superior wasn't my thing, and neither of the relaunched volumes were particularly great in my opinion. I did enjoy Go Down Swinging, but I don't think the execution was flawless enough for it to quite be best of all time. Spencer's run has had some great stories, like Hunted, the Absolute Carnage tie in, and Sins Rising, but I want to wait until everything is resolved before calling it best of all time.

Even though it is a counter-story about Peter, having him "die", I could see an argument for SSM #9 being a great single issue that is remembered and maybe considered to be among the greatest. About 90 percent of it shows Peter's vulnerability, strengths and just enough of his selfishness to be a pretty good portrait of his character. The ending is the only thing holding it back, because its such a cheap fake out. But maybe still great overall.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-20-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fantastic Member

Peaks of 2013-Present 616 that I'd say will end up on best of lists.

Superior Spider-Man
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man
    Spiderverse
    Hunted
    Absolute Carnage (more Venom but I'd say it's worth being on here due to Carnage being a Spidey character and the amount of Spidey characters involved in the story)

Sins Rising needs longer to cook before I throw it on a "best of the best" list but I think it and Last Remains could easily end up there later down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's fair.

The thing is the cut-off point for Superior largely determines the moral argument of the story because there's no single throughline there. If you cut off with the 9th issue and Ghost Peter, then the story becomes about Otto being better than Peter.

So that just confirms that Superior isn't a story of real purpose and worth.

It's a standalone and can be read with no context or reference to anything before or after.

Well it depends. Like ASM#259, the Defalco-Frenz joint where Mary Jane explains her past to Peter has subplots dealing with the go-nowhere Hobgoblin stuff but it's still considered a great issue.
    Someone can appreciate a story even if it's part of a larger story.

The John Byrne Fantastic Four issue from the point of view of Doctor Doom has been on some best of lists, even if it's part of a larger story, which ends in a different way than the first part. The issue ends with Doctor Doom on the verge of victory, and fans who like that issue probably aren't endorsing that outcome.

I often ASM 259 on best of lists as part of the alien costume saga, or part of the larger Defalco/ Frenz Hobgoblin saga.

https://www.cbr.com/50-greatest-spid...stories-25-21/
    http://retro-sanctuary.com/Top-100-S...es-Page-8.html

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Parker View Post
    I think Spectacular Spider-Man 310 is the easiest addition to best of lists. It was a Wonderfull little story that captured the heart and soul of Spider-Man and it makes me cry every time I read it.

My Dinner with Jonah is another contender, and I would even argue Amazing Fantasy is close. I really liked Chip's Spec run, if you can't tell (even if the time travel story went on too long and had an underwhelming ending with the Sandman plot).

Other than that, I'm left scratching my head. I've enjoyed plenty of stories, but I think the past decade has been kinda rough for Spider-Man in the comics. Superior wasn't my thing, and neither of the relaunched volumes were particularly great in my opinion. I did enjoy Go Down Swinging, but I don't think the execution was flawless enough for it to quite be best of all time. Spencer's run has had some great stories, like Hunted, the Absolute Carnage tie in, and Sins Rising, but I want to wait until everything is resolved before calling it best of all time.
    "Best of" lists aren't exclusively about whether you as an individual really enjoyed something, but about the larger impact.

There are probably some stories that we see frequently on "Best of" lists that we don't care for all that much as individual fans.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

"Clacked Hourglass" a Sandman story by Chip Zdarsky and Chris Bachalo, has popped up on two "Best of" lists, so that seems to be a major contender here.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2019/...-comics-marvel

https://me.ign.com/en/comics/171321/...man-comics?p=1
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Nice to see some love for "I'm With Stupid" and "And Death Shall Come" on one of those lists.

Yes I recall that Sandman story. It was a good story. Reminds me of that one Rhino story during the Gauntlet storylne - ASM 617
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

IMO, without question, these five stories make the "cut" (in chronicle order) -

Spider-Island (arguably the weakest on the list but I still think it makes the cut)

Superior Spider-Man (in its entirety)

Spider-Verse

My Dinner with Jonah

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 3: Amazing Fantasy (301 - 305 the time travel/alternate past universe storyline).

Last edited by Celgress; 12-03-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."