Page 10 of 254 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Wow, the addition of dialogue on those pages changes things COMPLETELY. When I saw those unlettered I was thinking SHE got shot. Or at least he attempted to shoot her. Weird though, she's clearly being kept isolated, and yet he allows her to have a camera?

I think Polaris is about to do something stupid, she probably wants to finish that fight with Magus and will jump at an opportunity to do so. Though the others would not go along with that, and Snow knows that, so he's only talking to her.

And yeah, obviously a reference to Card, I do like how both characters present their views and no agreement is reached. It is a tricky situation, where you choose to draw that line between art and artist.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

I like that too. I hate being preached to: this is a much more subtle approach, which doesn't patronise the readers. (Cough..uncanny avengers...) I don't know if it's referring to Card, or more applicable generally; it's an argument which comes up every now and again. Like should you boycott Wagner for being anti semitic, or Tolkien for being sexist? I'm with Quickie this time.

(Bet he loathes that name.)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I looked back a few pages and didn't see any discussion on it but the preview for All New X-Factor #7 is out

I really like the scene between Pietro and Danger. I take it that it's a thinly veiled reference to the controversies regarding supporting Orson Scott Card's professional works vs. his political views?
    Orson Scott Card is the dude who wrote Ender's game, right? I don't know if what Pietro and Danger are arguing about is really the same thing as a lone author with crazy views who writes sci-fi...as far as I know Card doesn't own any media outlets. It sounds like the dude in the comic book is more like a "Rupert Murdoch"-type (owner of FOX) except that "Rupert Murdoch" also writes fiction. Actually just the idea of Rupert Murdoch writing fiction scares the crap out of me.

Also, it speaks to Danger's general clueless-ness about social protocol that she would choose to read a book from a mutant hater when she's part of a team comprised of mutants. Talk about awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter David View Post
    So it is my understanding that the Community pages of the X-boards are going to be a nicer place from now on. On that basis, I'm willing to give it a try participating in discussions.

PAD
    Awesome! Thank you for fun, interesting and quality ANXF. You and Carmine are doing a fantastic job.

And thanks for writing Gambit. He was always my favourite character. And because of previous X-Factor Madrox is my 2nd favourite)

Spectacular Member Lycaon pictus's Avatar

Hi all. Have the previews for issue 7 come out yet?

I looked back a few pages and didn't see any discussion on it but the preview for All New X-Factor #7 is out

I really like the scene between Pietro and Danger. I take it that it's a thinly veiled reference to the controversies regarding supporting Orson Scott Card's professional works vs. his political views?
    I like that Danger read books and do not download them via internet. It makes her more alive and gives a feeling that she can enjoy around beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
    Hi all. Have the previews for issue 7 come out yet?
    Arrived. Beetle posted link http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=21460

Spectacular Member Lycaon pictus's Avatar

Thanks purplevit

No problem)

Right now I am really interested in Cypher as character and I think he has a great potential. His visions of future gives him some depth and reason to struggle with himself.

I would like to see him more as Patrick Jane from Mentalist TV Show. Also with his powerset he can be the best Mentalist (Xavier and Emma do not counts).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent LeMan View Post
    I totally object to this thread on the grounds that there is not enough Quicksilver love. Sure, he's a spy and he's gone from evil to good to possessed to good to evil to good, all the while being a bit of a jerk, plus he lacks kittens, the number one reason for internet love, but c'mon!

I hereby begin the Officially Unofficial Give Pietro A Pet Petition, and vote for giving him a platypus. If anything trumps cats, it's platypodes.
    Pfft, I already suggested giving him a grasshopper before the forum reboot. You're too slow, Agent LeMan. TOO SLOW!

Last preview page is a bit heavy-handed on the Orson Scott Card, but other than that, I don't have any big opinions of what's out so far. In regards specifically to Orson Scott Card, I never got involved very much in the debate, however there's a couple things I can say. 1) I've seen, but never read very deeply, an argument suggesting that Orson Scott Card's work actually does incorporate his personal politics, just not in an in-your-face way. 2) I see nothing wrong with a consumer deciding to boycott a product if they are aware that the money they pay for that product will go toward supporting activities they strongly do not want to support; in this case, not wanting to give Orson Scott Card money that he could then pour into certain organizations.

On the flip side of this argument, fiction is a doorway into different ways of thinking, so even when someone dislikes what a writer writes, looking at what they've made brings a new perspective. And if it contains arguments in favor of what the consumer opposes, the consumer can see what those arguments are, think it through and accept or refute them. However, this creates a conflict. Buying it sends a message you implicitly support views that you do not, since you're funding someone that funds organizations promoting those views. Not buying it means you're not exposing yourself to those views. Borrowing it from a library means someone else may end up buying it, or the library might buy another copy to satisfy demand. The only solution in this situation is the illegal one of pirating the content.

Then there's the simple matter of freedom of speech. Boycotting work can seem like an attempt at forcing self-censorship. Yet at the same time, you can't really blame someone for not buying something they don't want or need. Orson Scott Card is within his rights to support whatever he wants to support, as are consumers. When it's this argument, it's a real slippery slope in both directions, and nobody will ever be "right." I wouldn't really blame any writer for taking Orson Scott Card's side here no matter what his personal politics are. I'm sure most writers wouldn't want to have the same thing happen to them over their own personal politics, or to encourage people to force all writers to fit whatever the majority deems "acceptable."

Anyway, I've said way too much about all that as it is, and I know the topic has been talked to death. I'm leaving it at that and not saying anything else on these subjects since I don't want to drag down the fun atmosphere we've had around here for the past couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Wow, the addition of dialogue on those pages changes things COMPLETELY. When I saw those unlettered I was thinking SHE got shot. Or at least he attempted to shoot her. Weird though, she's clearly being kept isolated, and yet he allows her to have a camera?

I think Polaris is about to do something stupid, she probably wants to finish that fight with Magus and will jump at an opportunity to do so. Though the others would not go along with that, and Snow knows that, so he's only talking to her.

And yeah, obviously a reference to Card, I do like how both characters present their views and no agreement is reached. It is a tricky situation, where you choose to draw that line between art and artist.
    We'll see how Lorna acts following that page. Hopefully a bit closer to how she's been shown to act in the past when in similar situations. I do like that she notes how she wasn't exactly okay with the situation, and Lorna being a bit more subdued here makes perfect sense given Snow is in effect the team's owner. I'm not sure how well Pietro's views here match his character history, so I can't say anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    Orson Scott Card is the dude who wrote Ender's game, right? I don't know if what Pietro and Danger are arguing about is really the same thing as a lone author with crazy views who writes sci-fi...as far as I know Card doesn't own any media outlets. It sounds like the dude in the comic book is more like a "Rupert Murdoch"-type (owner of FOX) except that "Rupert Murdoch" also writes fiction. Actually just the idea of Rupert Murdoch writing fiction scares the crap out of me.

Also, it speaks to Danger's general clueless-ness about social protocol that she would choose to read a book from a mutant hater when she's part of a team comprised of mutants. Talk about awkward.
    I think it says something more along the lines that Danger is inquisitive, and curious about material related to things that affect mutants. That's my view, though. And at first I thought it was referring to a Rupert Murdoch type, but then the bestseller that doesn't promote personal politics part came into play. My guess is it's mostly inspired by Orson Scott Card, with a dash of Fox News in there for a broader platform. I'm guessing that Scott Dakei will figure into the book in a bigger way at some point, if not in this issue. The politician dad is anti-mutant, wouldn't be surprised if we find out he gets his anti-mutant views from Scott Dakei.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Spectacular Member Living Silver's Avatar

I gotta be honest, I'm a little upset at losing 18 years worth of posting history, but I guess there was good cause to wipe out all of the $#!t posts along with the good ones. Sorta reminds me of Noah's Ark, except we all live to post again.
    So here goes...

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    As for most powerful, I would probably say Polaris/Danger/Warlock with the order changing based on the situation.
    It's funny cuz Warlock has been written to be extremely powerful, yet other writers have presented him as incredibly weak. We have yet to see where PAD takes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    A
    But if someone were to be like, "EAT A D*&k, SUGAR." then I'd take offense to it.
    What's d!*k sugar? It doesn't so bad

(kidding)
    Quicksilver.tk

Spectacular Member Living Silver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter David View Post
    So it is my understanding that the Community pages of the X-boards are going to be a nicer place from now on. On that basis, I'm willing to give it a try participating in discussions.

PAD
    PAD!! YOU'RE BACK!! Cool cool cool cool. Tell Jordan White to bring the Letter Column back! I want to try and win something for giving a rad name. And it's awesome to have you around again.

I totally object to this thread on the grounds that there is not enough Quicksilver love. Sure, he's a spy and he's gone from evil to good to possessed to good to evil to good, all the while being a bit of a jerk, plus he lacks kittens, the number one reason for internet love, but c'mon!

I hereby begin the Officially Unofficial Give Pietro A Pet Petition, and vote for giving him a platypus. If anything trumps cats, it's platypodes.
    WHOAREYOUANDWHYDON'TIKNOWYOU?? Let's be BBF's, k? This board needs so much more Quicksilver love and it doesn't even know it!
    Quicksilver.tk

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Ooooh, Cold Water is going to love you.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

I know, I have been slacking on my repetitive requests for a Quicksilver cover.
    I should go to the old boards and link the one Spasticat did and linked in the old thread.
    It's amazing.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

All New X-Factor is one of my top 3 comics at the moment!
    Great art, fantastic characters and interesting stories.
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.