Page 14 of 254 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    Well said!

Nothing wrong with a reasoned and passionate debate as long as the passion doesn't overwhelm the reason.
    Agreed, and when it goes too far the debate loses validity and becomes a complaint fest. I think criticism is fine but like everything else, best in small doses.
    Last edited by Neko; 05-02-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

I would really, really love to see Pietro finally, really deal with his failures as a father. Given his family history, I think it would be a big deal for him to at least want to be a present and engaged father, no matter his relationship status with her mother. Were Luna off with Crystal and the Inhumans, well taken care of and among family, I think Pietro could talk himself into accepting not taking care of Luna, but that's not the case. While she's well taken care of with the Future Foundation (for the most part), Pietro's regard for his own adoption and his own father would likely compel him to at least try to be a presence in her life. While I understand that this is a genre where the local currency is face punches, and X-Factor has its own big issues to deal with, I think ANXF would be a great place to explore this part of Pietro's life, even if it turns out that he's an absent father because he can't deal with his own history and so avoids facing up to his own status as a father.

If this can't happen, I would like to see Pietro sporting a dashing moustache.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Pietro needs a turtle. That would be the perfect pet.
    HAHAHAHAH

And then it has a Lightning Streak on it's Shell.

I don't know if its been posted yet, but part of the cover below... probably to X-Factor #11.

I am quite interested to see who is attacking. Perhaps it is SHIELD or some other well armed group who attacks in issue #10 instead of ordinary cops. We will see.

Oh, and before it potentially starts as an issue as I said in the past I wouldn't care much at all if Gambit is soloing every cover, what I really care about is what is inside the issue. Covers add to the ambiance, but they don't decide if I like or dislike an issue as I have said in the past. Because, a certain Polaris fan has been loud on the issue doesn't mean Polaris fans are a 'group think' on that issue or any other and that is something I very much don't think everyone here understands.

I did have my hopes up for a strip poker cover after we got the partially nude Gambit pic with the whole core team which I thought would be fun, but it certainly wasn't a big deal that it didn't happen. My unhappiness around that time was related to Lorna's competence or lack thereof in issue #4 not Gambit's nude body on a cover.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-02-2014 at 01:44 PM.

From Carmine's FB: A treat for Polaris fans.

I want to talk about nude covers. Can we still do that?
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I don't know if its been posted yet, but part of the cover below... probably to X-Factor #11.

I am quite interested to see who is attacking. Perhaps it is SHIELD or some other well armed group who attacks in issue #10 instead of ordinary cops. We will see.

Oh, and before it potentially starts as an issue as I said in the past I wouldn't care much at all if Gambit is soloing every cover, what I really care about is what is inside the issue. Covers add to the ambiance, but they don't decide if I like or dislike an issue as I have said in the past. Because, a certain Polaris fan has been loud on the issue doesn't mean Polaris fans are a 'group think' on that issue or any other and that is something I very much don't think everyone here understands.

I did have my hopes up for a strip poker cover after we got the partially nude Gambit pic with the whole core team which I thought would be fun, but it certainly wasn't a big deal that it didn't happen. My unhappiness around that time was related to Lorna's competence or lack thereof in issue #4 not Gambit's nude body on a cover.
    LOL - yeah, its been posted. And it is good to read your opinion about the covers. I'm all good with debate but sometimes things just go too far over something as small as a cover.

LMAO - well, I would be good with a strip poker cover ... probably the only time Gambit would be fully clothed.

As for who is attacking, I suspect the security team for the rich dude who has a mutant daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlueElf View Post
    HAHAHAHAH

And then it has a Lightning Streak on it's Shell.
    And he names it Speedy.

LOL - yeah, its been posted. And it is good to read your opinion about the covers. I'm all good with debate but sometimes things just go too far over something as small as a cover.
    One fan was focused heavily on the covers though. Mind you that one fan posted a heck of a lot about that issue including this past week, but just because one fan posts a lot about something its a mistake to consider them the representative of a fandom or their ideas representative of a fandom.

Its easy to fall into that trap, but I don't view lets say remydat as in any way the official representative of all Gambit fans even though he often does very large posts often debating me on everything from my view on Lorna to most recently my view on Silver Age Magneto. If I fell into that trap it would be easy to cause unnecessary conflict between Gambit fans and Lorna fans.

Though I do think ANXF over the past several issues is rather intentionally building an emotionally charged conflict between Gambit and Lorna and that the conflict in the comics would spill out into fandom and cause conflicts between Gambit and Lorna fans is shall we say understandable, especially given its a contentious one over if Lorna is competent as a character to make reasonable decisions or if she should simply hand over the reigns to Gambit.

Last edited by jmc247; 05-02-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Claremont had him have to atone for his actions when he was sane like attacking the Soviet Union as part of his plan to rid the world of nukes and killing their sailors.

But, how does one atone for lunatic crap like putting the X-Men into a hot air balloon? How does one atone for having an under age Wanda erotically dance for him? I could go on and on, but most of the shit he did during the Silver Age is not stuff one atones for. Its stuff you end up in a mental hospital or worse for.
    I have to agree.

I feel like at some point the writers realized they had an unsympathetic character and all of the retcon they can dream up won't really change that.

The years of soulless villain status and his horrendous actions kind of make any excuse they come up with laughable.

There really is nothing that could excuse Magneto, silver age or otherwise.

Of course this is in part because in the beginning the villain (in almost 99% of cases at the time) had to be the complete opposite of the hero(s).

Remember Silver Age comics were written for kids for the most part. Good vs. Evil is a lot easier a concept for young readers to grasp than reality in which nothing is ever as black and white and people are never 100% good or evil.

And back to the topic at hand, after that issue 7 preview I can't wait to read the full thing.

Still a bit disappointed in my boy Gambit for the sexscapades and for still having the hobo beard but what can you do.

I'm thinking that Cypher might be a little internet addicted if he's watching the online diary of what appears to be a fifteen year old girl but I suppose we shall see where PAD goes with that as well.

I have had Tom Waits' "Georgia Lee" stuck in my head ever since I viewed the previews for #7. <3

BANNED

And he names it Speedy.
    Better yet he calls it "The Dash"

Oh yeah on Naked Covers again. Nude or Psylocke pose Polaris cover pls.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBlueElf View Post
    Better yet he calls it "The Dash".
    You just made me happy again, Fuzzay.

Claremont had him have to atone for his actions when he was sane like attacking the Soviet Union as part of his plan to rid the world of nukes and killing their sailors.

But, how does one atone for lunatic crap like putting the X-Men into a hot air balloon? How does one atone for having an under age Wanda erotically dance for him? I could go on and on, but most of the shit he did during the Silver Age is not stuff one atones for. Its stuff you end up in a mental hospital or worse for.
    I didn't think he knew Wanda was his daughter at the time so not sure why that is relevant. A dude having a girl dance erotically might be boorish/sexist behavior but by no means is it mental hospital worthy. As for the X-men they were his enemies. Why wouldn't he try to get rid of them?

So I think we just have a fundamentally different interpretation of the Silver Age. The Bond villains of today are not any less crazy than before. It's just that the bond villains back in the day had silly names like Octopussy or Pussygalore and did things in an over the top manner not because they were crazier but because that was the style of the day. Just like when you watch a Ben Stiller or Mike Myers movie, you know it is going to be over the top. That doesn't make the characters any more mentally ill than if you go watch a serious movie where the characters do the same thing (ie murder someone) but just do it in a more realistic way.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.