Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    You would expect he would probably not want to be a mutant anymore after being hunted by a Sentinel (Power Pack #17) and seeing the Morlocks get massacred (Power Pack #27) would make him reconsider that, but nope!
    Huh, yeah, harder to justify it when those things happened, maybe it's because he thought he actually was a mutant at that point and couldn't turn it off even unintentionally, or maybe wasn't thinking "they're hunting me because I'm a mutant, I wish I wasn't one" and thought "I wish those evil people would stop attacking anyone", but I shouldn't overthink comic books (He says, after overthinking comic books ), least of all Slott lol.

I'm still gonna keep the theory I mentioned pages ago in mind if they ever decide to retcon this back, that this is an Avengers Disassembled situation, which Strange told Wanda that she doesn't actually use Chaos Magic because Chaos Magic apparently isn't real, only for retcons to say she went insane and imagined Strange saying that, maybe a retcon will do the same thing, say he went insane and just imagined Xavier saying he's not a mutant lol.

Either way, outside of this retcon being dumb and coming outta nowhere, it kinda sucks to remove him being a mutant because he was like, one the few mutants listed on the human side, and the only Omega level mutant who was, that could have some cool story potentials in Hickman's X-Men, oh well, some stories can still be told but, too bad.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-18-2020 at 06:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    This may also be a Tom Brevoort thing, since he confirmed that part of the inspiration for the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver retcon was a single page in Thor #134 where Lee and Kirby suggested that they might actually have gotten their powers from the High Evolutionary.

Of course in both cases, one stray reference from the Lee/Kirby days doesn't outweigh the following decades and decades of comics that followed, so the retcon doesn't really make any sense. But some editors and writers really love reverting characters to whatever they were in the '60s comics.

Don’t forget how he loves the issue where Wanda is dancing erotically for magnetos enjoyment! He loves throwing that old image up on Twitter all the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    As long as you actually mean it and aren't apologizing just to save face, then I guess it's okay.

Huh, yeah, harder to justify it when those things happened, maybe it's because he thought he actually was a mutant at that point and couldn't turn it off even unintentionally, or maybe wasn't thinking "they're hunting me because I'm a mutant, I wish I wasn't one" and thought "I wish those evil people would stop attacking anyone", but I shouldn't overthink comic books, least of all Slott lol.

I'm still gonna keep the theory I mentioned pages ago in mind if they ever decide to retcon this back, that this is an Avengers Disassembled situation, which Strange told Wanda that she doesn't actually use Chaos Magic because Chaos Magic apparently isn't real, only for retcons to say she went insane and imagined Strange saying that, maybe a retcon will do the same thing, say he went insane and just imagined Xavier saying he's not a mutant lol.

Either way, outside of this retcon being dumb and coming outta nowhere, it kinda sucks to remove him being a mutant because he was like, one the few mutants listed on the human side, and the only Omega level mutant who was, that could have some cool story potentials in Hickman's X-Men, oh well, some stories can still be told but, too bad.
    it wasn't intentional. He thought he was a mutant because he was born like that

Okay, folks, lots of deletions and edits, so let's get a few things clear:

1. Insulting or threatening creators is a violation of forum rules and will not be tolerated.

2. These comments that were deleted were just a few hours old, so knocking CBR and the staff here is ridiculous. The staff are all volunteers with lives outside of these forums who have a lot of threads to check.

3. Rather than make sarcastic comments regarding the state of the forums, please just use the Report feature located in the bottom corner of every message.

Thank you.

Gaelforce
    Supermoderator
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    The guy who did all the retcons to bring wandas power back to their original state? THAT WAS SLOTT!! He does not like character change not based on the original 60s interpretations. It’s like a scripture to him that must be held in a specific way and only that way. That’s why his iron man run flopped. It was all based on the idea that tony was actually an ai clone to which if you read anything by slott you just know is a lie and he is trying to get buzz. It’s why iron man 2020 failed and as a person who loves the classic iron man 2020 stories I despise him for ruining a slam dunk project like that

I know, what U.N. Owen meant is that if Franklin made himself into a mutant because he thought it'd make him special, then it'd make sense that he would want to stop being a mutant after seeing the horrors of being one, and unintentionally make himself not be a mutant again, then I ironically tried to overthink a comic book lol.

Extraordinary Member

I know, what U.N. Owen meant is that if Franklin made himself into a mutant because he thought it'd make him special, then it'd make sense that he would want to stop being a mutant after seeing the horrors of being one, and unintentionally make himself not be a mutant again, then I ironically tried to overthink a comic book lol.
    Maybe it is because he heard his dad call him a mutant. And being hunted would not be that big a deal, he wanted to be a superhero so that was part of his fantasy and it is not like he really went through anywhere near as much as just about any other mutant back then, he saw his family face much bigger threats every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    The guy who did all the retcons to bring wandas power back to their original state? THAT WAS SLOTT!! He does not like character change not based on the original 60s interpretations. It’s like a scripture to him that must be held in a specific way and only that way. That’s why his iron man run flopped. It was all based on the idea that tony was actually an ai clone to which if you read anything by slott you just know is a lie and he is trying to get buzz. It’s why iron man 2020 failed and as a person who loves the classic iron man 2020 stories I despise him for ruining a slam dunk project like that
    You talking about Wanda getting Chaos Magic back? Because honestly, that's for the better, 'cause what Bendis gave her was reality warping, and that's just wayyyy less interesting than Chaos Magic.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Maybe it is because he heard his dad call him a mutant. And being hunted would not be that big a deal, he wanted to be a superhero so that was part of his fantasy and it is not like he really went through anywhere near as much as just about any other mutant back then, he saw his family face much bigger threats every day.
    Yeah I thought of something like that to explain it, that he believed that he was a mutant by that point and couldn't uninentionally "stop" being one.

Of course, if they're saying he needs to constantly have his powers active for what he created to still be around, then all of those universes he re-created should be gone now too, unless it only works like that if it's a change done to himself... Man I can't help overthinking .
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-18-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

You talking about Wanda getting Chaos Magic back? Because honestly, that's for the better, 'cause what Bendis gave her was reality warping, and that's just wayyyy less interesting than Chaos Magic.

Edit:

Yeah I thought of something like that to explain it, that he believed that he was a mutant by that point and couldn't uninentionally "stop" being one.

Of course, if they're saying he needs to constantly have his powers active for what he created to still be around, then all of those universes he re-created should be gone now too, unless it only works like that if it's a change done to himself... Man I can't help overthinking .
    I completely agree with you there are probably dozens of holes if we just take this at face value and try to reconcile every story ever written. Only recently did I stop caring, you could say Hickman's X-Men is to my concern for continuity as is Moira dumping lifetimes of memories into a poor, young, idealistic Charles to radicalize him. Nothing matters, just enjoy the ride.

BANNED

I completely agree with you there are probably dozens of holes if we just take this at face value and try to reconcile every story ever written. Only recently did I stop caring, you could say Hickman's X-Men is to my concern for continuity as is Moira dumping lifetimes of memories into a poor, young, idealistic Charles to radicalize him. Nothing matters, just enjoy the ride.
    Well some retcons are mostly well received thn others. Moira retcon is as bad as Franklin, but that is what people secretly wanted, some secret mutant conspiracy.

Mighty Member

Charles made it pretty clear that he was a mutant because he dreamed of being special that he altered every cell in his body to do so. You would really expect after he fought Sentinels with the Power Pack, fought the Marauders with the Power Pack, confronted his "villainous" DOFP self and outright wished he wasn't a mutant because he didn't want to grow up to become a bad person with all that power, that he would stop being a mutant. Even then, Abraxas burned out his powers to the point he was a normal human. I'm surprised no one did any x-gene activity analysis and noticed it was missing.

There are contrivances that make this story work and then there is outright laziness. It's not as bad as the shuttle crash retcon, but it's a really close second.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    He abused a blind lady and demanded to be thanked for it during the Herald of Doom Arc and War of the Realms tie in. You think I'm exaggerating, but I worked with enough blind people, mostly elderly, to call it abuse.

I wish he acted more like Cable. He was a Cable clone in the 90s and was enjoyable in a guilty pleasure fashion. This one is just trash.

Entitlement leading to villainy is certainly better than a god complex screaming into the void using circular reasoning.
    Oh.....damn, maybe i shouldn't be surprised considering the writer, but yeah i get the dislike for him if that is what he did.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I pretty much have that attitude, though I may still get annoyed if a retcon changes something I liked, but if we can get a cool story out of that, I'll tolerate it.

Continuity issues are always gonna happen too, not only because Marvel has been writing super-hero comics for almost 60 years, but because the current editorial doesn't give a ****, and while too much continuity can be a bad thing since it limits the kind of stories that can be told, which is bad for super-heroes since they just aren't supposed to end, the level of crap continuity we have now is just as bad since there's no consistency... **** like this makes me miss Jim Shooter lol.

Some interesting Wanda news from Strange Academy with Beast wanting her to try a Krakoan gate.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The depths to which that disreputable beast will sink...tsk tsk tsk
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!