Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    This may also be a Tom Brevoort thing, since he confirmed that part of the inspiration for the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver retcon was a single page in Thor #134 where Lee and Kirby suggested that they might actually have gotten their powers from the High Evolutionary.

Of course in both cases, one stray reference from the Lee/Kirby days doesn't outweigh the following decades and decades of comics that followed, so the retcon doesn't really make any sense. But some editors and writers really love reverting characters to whatever they were in the '60s comics.

It is a known fact that slott and brevroot are good friends and brevoot has been pushing to give slott a line wide event since post secret empire

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Like I said I don’t like slott and I don’t agree with what he has done. But I have read his books enough to know his style and he is obsessed with the “original intent” idea of the character he digs up crap from the 60s as a twist and when people don’t like he argues it’s not a twist you just don’t know cannon. He did it all the time on Spider-Man. One of the major plot points of superior Spider-Man was that doc ock and green goblin were never on the sinister six at the same time. He used that to explain why they wouldn’t work together to conquer the world like usual. You say it’s dumb he says you don’t know cannon and repeat
    Yea, it was the original intention anyway and Slott didn't want to be part of whatever Hickman has planned. His right as the writer and while Hickman possibly could strongarm the FF office into letting him use the character more, professionally speaking I see why he'd just let it go. The man probably is rewriting his story as we speak and making it so Franklin is irrelevant to the end of his run or simply not as important as originally intended. Big whoop, inconvenient retcons happen all the time and the overreaction in this thread is a bit comical but not surprising. There's plenty of reality manipulating mutants out there.

I don't know know why everyone blames Slott when it feels like either something from Hickman or editorial to keep Franklin out of the X circle. I don't think there are any mutants left outside of Krakoa or who have major connections outside of the island. Franklin was a loose end that needed to be tied up and taken off the board for whatever Xavier and Moira are going to do.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I don't know know why everyone blames Slott when it feels like either something from Hickman or editorial to keep Franklin out of the X circle. I don't think there are any mutants left outside of Krakoa or who have major connections outside of the island. Franklin was a loose end that needed to be tied up and taken off the board for whatever Xavier and Moira are going to do.

All these are just political reasons why Franklin/Quicksilver/Wanda are retconned as non-mutants.

Quicksilver and Wanda because the editors want them to be with Avengers.

Franklin because the editors want them to be with FF.

Mutants can live among human-kind , so what happens when Hickman leaves Marvel and his Krakoa concept is destroyed?

Will Franklin, Quicksilver, Wanda all be reverted back to mutants again? LOL

The most iconic Days of Future Past is now worthless due to this retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    All these are just political reasons why Franklin/Quicksilver/Wanda are retconned as non-mutants.

Quicksilver and Wanda because the editors want them to be with Avengers.

Franklin because the editors want them to be with FF.

Mutants can live among human-kind , so what happens when Hickman leaves Marvel and his Krakoa concept is destroyed?

Will Franklin, Quicksilver, Wanda all be reverted back to mutants again? LOL
    I'm just waiting for them to decide that all mutants should be under the X-Men/Krakoa blanket, resulting in Molly Hayes being retconned into..something else [eyeroll]

Extraordinary Member

This is a real nonsensical lame retcon.

If he's not a mutant, how did he get his powers since he was a child?

If he's not a mutant, why was he part of the Days of Future Past storyline when he was the hubby of Rachel?

I think the real reason is just that Marvel doesn't want him to have any connection with Krakoa.
    Byrne made him a mutant long after he was established to just have cosmic based powers when he took over the Fantastic Four. For anyone who was not exactly a fan of the X-Men back then it probably sounded stupid too.

He was in Days of Future Past to establish how far in the future it was. There really were not any other kids at the time to grow up. He was never stated to be a mutant in that story either, in fact all of the super powered people were hunted and killed by the Sentinels (all of the Fantastic Four gravestones are shown in the cemetery).

My theory is this, since Reed was obviously not going to allow Franklin to develop his cosmic powers again, either he or his powers instead manifested as a mutant power, something that Reed would not be able to easily remove and maybe not be as alarmed by.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Byrne made him a mutant long after he was established to just have cosmic based powers when he took over the Fantastic Four. For anyone who was not exactly a fan of the X-Men back then it probably sounded stupid too.

He was in Days of Future Past to establish how far in the future it was. There really were not any other kids at the time to grow up. He was never stated to be a mutant in that story either, in fact all of the super powered people were hunted and killed by the Sentinels (all of the Fantastic Four gravestones are shown in the cemetery).

My theory is this, since Reed was obviously not going to allow Franklin to develop his cosmic powers again, either he or his powers instead manifested as a mutant power, something that Reed would not be able to easily remove and maybe not be as alarmed by.
    No, he was considered one of the mutant escapees. It didn't say non-mutants and mutants...

Extraordinary Member

No, he was considered one of the mutant escapees. It didn't say non-mutants and mutants...

Nothing was ever mentioned of again for another year or so until Byrne went over to Fantastic Four. It was not until 1982 that Reed refers to him in passing as a mutant under Byrne's pen. Maybe Byrne intended him to be a mutant in DoFP, or maybe it is just no one thought that the mutants should speak using all the proper identifiers as not to hurt Franklin's feelings. Maybe the idea comes to Byrne after this story, maybe even because some people read into this that Franklin is a mutant. Personally I don't take robots barking orders as all that definitive and I do think having a human ally makes it more connected.

However, as I stated and as cannot be refuted, all super powered characters were hunted and killed by the Sentinels so Franklin being there fits perfectly well whether he is a mutant or not.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I might fundamentally disagree with the mutant metaphor entirely, but the implications that kid Franklin wanted to be special so badly that he wanted to be oppressed and hunted by giant robots is honestly a disturbing thought. It retroactively makes Franklin go from being in a teenage ******* phase to outright always being selfish. Honestly, it sounds like he has a victim complex which makes no sense since he doesn't need that complex since he used to always be kidnapped, manipulated, or possessed as often as people died and returned in comics.
    Considering that was done when he was a kid, he probably didn't even think about the dangers of it, just wanted to be cool and for some reason he thought that being a mutant would make him cool.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Considering that was done when he was a kid, he probably didn't even think about the dangers of it, just wanted to be cool and for some reason he thought that being a mutant would make him cool.
    You would expect he would probably not want to be a mutant anymore after being hunted by a Sentinel (Power Pack #17) and seeing the Morlocks get massacred (Power Pack #27) would make him reconsider that, but nope!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Nothing was ever mentioned of again for another year or so until Byrne went over to Fantastic Four.
    Fact is it's moot. The Claremont FF/X-Men series in the '80s which made Franklin and Kitty friends established him as a mutant.

Again, a whole bunch of stuff that happens in Marvel was simply not concieved or intended by Lee/Kirby and if you go all the way back Marvel wouldn't work. Lee-Kirby's X-Men was a failure that ran into reprints...Claremont's X-Men was a roaring success that became the industry benchmark in the '80s. The Mandarin was a yellow peril character and Tony Stark was a Cold Warrior, Daredevil was some acrobatic clown who pretended he was his own identical twin brother, and so on and so forth.

Franklin Richards has been consistently established as a mutant since the '80s.

The only thing i care about is they will show Artie and Leech's reaction to Krakoa since they were outside the multiverse when that happen or if they won't even bother with and say they also got modified regardless of not being in that reality at the time. Everything else in this issue was crap.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Fact is it's moot. The Claremont FF/X-Men series in the '80s which made Franklin and Kitty friends established him as a mutant.

Again, a whole bunch of stuff that happens in Marvel was simply not concieved or intended by Lee/Kirby and if you go all the way back Marvel wouldn't work. Lee-Kirby's X-Men was a failure that ran into reprints...Claremont's X-Men was a roaring success that became the industry benchmark in the '80s. The Mandarin was a yellow peril character and Tony Stark was a Cold Warrior, Daredevil was some acrobatic clown who pretended he was his own identical twin brother, and so on and so forth.

Franklin Richards has been consistently established as a mutant since the '80s.
    And he was a mutant, as in on a genetic level he was homo superior, at least to any and all detection. I don't think this story is saying otherwise. Compared to the overhaul of Moira, Xavier and Krakoa; or even Wanda and Pietro, this is not that big of a change, in fact it does not really change any of the past stories. We are talking about a kid with powers who once made himself an adult with even cooler powers for a couple issues and went back to being a kid.

BANNED

well.... i can see why he did it
    the krakoa plot is very intrusive on other books

but honestly this may have some other angle to it that gets to have it both ways and it gets rolled back

its pretty insensitive to make him only "pretend" to be a mutant

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    well.... i can see why he did it
    the krakoa plot is very intrusive on other books

but honestly this may have some other angle to it that gets to have it both ways and it gets rolled back

its pretty insensitive to make him only "pretend" to be a mutant
    There is no other angle in slotts mind he is correcting the error of him ever being a mutant in the first place.