Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Lyja is an actual rapist because Johnny knows who Alicia is, consented to relations with the person he knew as Alicia, and then it was not Alicia.
    But the Peter Parker Otto was presenting himself as and was letting Anna Maria get to know was decidedly not Otto Octavius, and Anna Maria would not have gotten involved with him otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But the Peter Parker Otto was presenting himself as and was letting Anna Maria get to know was decidedly not Otto Octavius, and Anna Maria would not have gotten involved with him otherwise.
    Hiding your past as a piece of **** from someone who should know is really bad but it is a different offense than becoming a woman a guy knows and raping him.

In a good timeline, writers would bring Lyja back and use her because she's interesting but never let her and Johnny have much of anything beyond forgiveness because of the uh, constant rape.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The thing with Lyja is that Marvel agrees that what she did was sexual assault... Only with different characters.
    The exact same thing happened with Namor and a Skrull pretending to be Sue, so the question is why is that accepted as sexual assault and wrong, but not the situation with Lyja which was the exact same thing and in some aspects worse?

Namor The Sub-Mariner #50

The character was called Lyrra for Pete's sake...

She even apparently became "pregnant" from it like Lyja did (remember that Lyja lied and her egg was a weapon to kill the FF). It's obvious this story was to mirror that one.
    I just want Marvel to call a spade and spade, the notion that her and Johnny should ever "get back together" is frankly disgusting.
    Last edited by Crimz; 11-18-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by President Togekiss View Post
    Why does Marvel keep doing this "Jk, they actually WEREN'T mutants in all those 20 years of publications". They did with the Maximoffs, and now Franklin. Just because a character isn't in an X-men book, it doesn't mean they can't be a mutant.
    This is going right into my list of "Stupid Retcons I'm gonna ignore and expect the next writer to undo".
    Squirrel Girl and the Android Inhuman Torch’s sidekick Toro too.

Only Gwenpool has been retroactively made into a mutant. Almost like the opposite of Franklin.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The exact same thing happened with Namor and a Skrull pretending to be Sue, so the question is why is that accepted as sexual assault and wrong, but not the situation with Lyja which was the exact same thing and in some aspects worse?
    Haven't read the issue but if that is the real Llyra she wasn't a Skrull. Llyra has limited shape-shifting abilities; she once impersonated Dorma.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Haven't read the issue but if that is the real Llyra she wasn't a Skrull. Llyra has limited shape-shifting abilities; she once impersonated Dorma.
    I honestly don't know, but my point still stands. It was a shapeshifter pretending to be a person the victim knows and sexually assaulting them as a result. It's treated as sexual assault and the Lyja situation is exactly the same.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I honestly don't know, but my point still stands.
    I get your point, don't worry. Llyra is basically the opposite of Namor: Atlantean (Lemurian offshoot) father, human mother. She was a Frightful Four member at one point.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    Art is beautiful and I'm glad Lyja is back but the mutant scene was brutal.

Slott just loves misery and reminded me why I hated his Spider-man run.

Also, where did Rikki Barnes go?
    Since she's dating Julie, she probably went after the Powers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

What is it with some superhero writers not getting what consent means? I remember that the 80s run of the Avengers had Moondragon use her powers to enslave Thor and it was implied, if not outright stated, that they had sex (read: she raped him) while he was in that state.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hiding your past as a piece of **** from someone who should know is really bad but it is a different offense than becoming a woman a guy knows and raping him.

In a good timeline, writers would bring Lyja back and use her because she's interesting but never let her and Johnny have much of anything beyond forgiveness because of the uh, constant rape.
    He wasn't just hiding his past he was pretending to be an entirely different person whose identity he subsumed. Even if Anna Maria didn't know Peter Parker, Otto was presenting himself as Peter Parker when it couldn't be farther from the truth.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What is it with some superhero writers not getting what consent means? I remember that the 80s run of the Avengers had Moondragon use her powers to enslave Thor and it was implied, if not outright stated, that they had sex (read: she raped him) while he was in that state.
    Don't forget the classic Jim Shooter Avengers 200 where Marcus Immortus raped Ms. Marvel and the Avengers were like its fine, carry on and let him be with his rapist

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Lyra is of course a Lemurian. I don't remember the source of her ability but she is human/earthian, not skrull.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Hard to remember, but I thought Lyja was enforced into her role as a Skrull agent, by Paibok or other skrull types. It doesn't mean she should have went along, but she was coerced or forced. This is not a justification but another factor.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Hard to remember, but I thought Lyja was enforced into her role as a Skrull agent, by Paibok or other skrull types. It doesn't mean she should have went along, but she was coerced or forced. This is not a justification but another factor.
    Doesn't that only account for the egg thing? The initial assault was a mission, and one she wasn't particularly forced to accept. Not to mention her stalking Johnny as Laura Green after all of this.
    Last edited by Crimz; 11-18-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Amazing Member

Not for the best when the rapist is back...
    While I agree with you about Lyja, I don't see Skye as being much better. She put an unconscious man in her bed, stripped him of his clothes, put an arm band on him, and then when he wakes up, calls him her soulmate. I guess technically she isn't a rapist, but still, none of this was consensual. I don't want to see Johnny with either one of these women.