Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

On a purely technical level, it is flat out the greatest comic book ever - certainly on the American side of things. The more you understand the language of comics, the more you'll get out of it.

It's also just a damn good read in terms of story and characterization. Dave Gibbons' art is also pretty underrated.

That said, there is a coldness to it that may well put off some readers and it's why, though it is up there, it isn't at the top of the list of my all-time favourite comics.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

The main difference between the two was the ending.

I liked the comics when I first read it in the ‘90s.
    Didn’t really care for the movie.

Thought the comics were better than most other comics at the time.
    But then when everything started aping it, it lost a bit of its appeal and the imitators ran the ideas into the ground.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I am going to my comics shop today and the owner told me he had a Watchmen Graphic Novel. he told me this because I was talking about the movie last time I was there.

I really loved the movie. It is my second favorite Super Hero movie of all time. I know the ending in the comics is not the same as The movie. but for the most part is it kind of the same?

Are the comics as good as everyone says?

I just wanted to see if it is worth my time to pick up.
    I like both. Compared to other CB adaptions the (directors cut) movie is extremely close to the source material. If you liked the movie and comics in general its a good bet you'll like it. And even if not its still a win because it shows you're a person of culture if you have comic book reading fans visiting your place and seeing it in your collection :P

I read Watchmen when it came out and again around 2004. I liked it just fine but it is not even close to my favorite comic. I get why it was so big when it was originally published though. I am not a huge fan of dark, grim stories. I like some of them a lot but , for me, there has to be some light...some heart to make it work. I don't feel like there is any in Watchmen.

Invincible Member

I am done with half of the book. I am really digging it. I am not going nuts about it but it is really enjoyable. I really loved the issues focused on Rorschach. I loved how his shrink was so effected by treating him. It doesnt show that in the movie. I am hoping to finish the series Saturday and then move on to Doomsday Cloak and the Before Watchmen titles.
    Glad you're enjoying it. What some people miss about the original graphic novel is that it was supposed to be a satire. It wasn't about superheroes saving the world, it was about how emotionally damaged people in costumes punching other people can't save the world. Zack Snyder's movie while fine for what it is, actually undermined the original story's themes by making the characters seem cooler than they were supposed to be.

I just finished reading Watchmen. It took awhile because I spent massive time on my Switch. I did really enjoy the story. I am going to move on to Doomsday Clock next. Is The Batman/Flash sotry The Buttun a most read for this?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I just finished reading Watchmen. It took awhile because I spent massive time on my Switch. I did really enjoy the story. I am going to move on to Doomsday Clock next. Is The Batman/Flash sotry The Buttun a most read for this?
    The Button is not a must read. It was supposed to be more of a setup but those plans got derailed. You can read Doomsday Clock without it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Watchmen tells a layered, structured narrative with a lot of forethought and craft.

And then idiots took it as the goddamn bible and have been copying surface elements (DARK! SHOCK! TWIIIIST!) without getting that what Moore wanted to say with it was "comics are a medium and can sustain more sophisticated storytelling."

Is it good? Yes, it's very well-written. But it was basically a grenade that kind of ruined a lot of comics in its wake.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Watchmen tells a layered, structured narrative with a lot of forethought and craft.

And then idiots took it as the goddamn bible and have been copying surface elements (DARK! SHOCK! TWIIIIST!) without getting that what Moore wanted to say with it was "comics are a medium and can sustain more sophisticated storytelling."

Is it good? Yes, it's very well-written. But it was basically a grenade that kind of ruined a lot of comics in its wake.
    Agreed, but that tends to happen a lot in comics. After Morrison's JLA hit big, DC spent years putting out garbage that tried to replicate its charms while completely missing what made the book special. However, these "Dad Comics", as Morrison derisively called them, had a far less corrosive effect on superhero comics than Watchmen did. Moore's subsequent mea culpa with his Supreme and ABC line was a much-need course correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Agreed, but that tends to happen a lot in comics. After Morrison's JLA hit big, DC spent years putting out garbage that tried to replicate its charms while completely missing what made the book special. However, these "Dad Comics", as Morrison derisively called them, had a far less corrosive effect on superhero comics than Watchmen did. Moore's subsequent mea culpa with his Supreme and ABC line was a much-need course correction.
    It kills me that nobody ever brings up "Tom Strong" when discussing Moore's work. I love that book. It's always Miracle Man, Swamp Thing, his Superman, Watchmen and Killing Joke with occasional V for Vendetta and From Hell.

Promethia? Tom Strong? Come on, guys. He did positive stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    The Button is not a must read. It was supposed to be more of a setup but those plans got derailed. You can read Doomsday Clock without it.
    Its not a must read but as a vignette, or side story it's actually a favorite of mine. It feels very connected to Flashpoint, DC universe Rebirth and builds anticipation for Doomsday Clock even if there isnt any important information in the Button that you need to understand Doomsday Clock.

Its a quick read and worth it. And if your like me older books can be bought used online or local book stores making them easy on the wallet to collect.

It kills me that nobody ever brings up "Tom Strong" when discussing Moore's work. I love that book. It's always Miracle Man, Swamp Thing, his Superman, Watchmen and Killing Joke with occasional V for Vendetta and From Hell.

I have never been in the right mood to start tackling Promethea. It sounds like it can come off as incredibly pretentious if the reader is not ready to take that ride. One of these days I will climb Mount Promethea, but not today...

Tom Strong, though? I adore that book and Supreme, which I think is stronger than any of the Superman comics he wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I have never been in the right mood to start tackling Promethea. It sounds like it can come off as incredibly pretentious if the reader is not ready to take that ride. One of these days I will climb Mount Promethea, but not today...

Tom Strong, though? I adore that book and Supreme, which I think is stronger than any of the Superman comics he wrote.
    I'm of the same opinion of Promethia. One day, brother, we will see the top of that mountain.

I still need to get into Supreme. It's just so hard with the stink of Liefeld looming over it.

Boisterously Confused

I too loved Tom Strong. I sometimes wonder if that's closer to what Superman might have become had Fawcett not triggered a superpowers arms race with the popularity of their Captain Marvel.

I'm of the same opinion of Promethia. One day, brother, we will see the top of that mountain.

I still need to get into Supreme. It's just so hard with the stink of Liefeld looming over it.
    Moore deodorized the character of Liefeld stank so thoroughly from issue one it's hilarious that Moore continued to get paid by Liefeld to publicly mock Liefeld's own stupid ideas.

If you love Superman, it's Moore's best work on the character by far. Only "For the Man Who Has Everything" comes close.