Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Damian being the son of a costumed cat-burglar would change his character quite a bit compared to being the scion of the Demon's Head and his daughter.
    He would probably be a bit less of a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    He would probably be a bit less of a jerk.

How do you figure?

Because he is a bastard child of unwed parents? compared to Earth 2 helena who isn't a jerk.

Because the Al Ghul's are 'Evil' and Evil =jerk? It doesn't. Who is canonically a jerk Bruce Wayne or Ra's/talia? damian is a jerk primarily because he is like his Father.

because of the effects of Nurture? Since Selina opted to give her kid up lord knows what that kid is like or how they turned out.

Damian would be a jerk regardless when we look at Bruce Wayne's traits and how he treats those in his care.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    How do you figure?

Because he is a bastard child of unwed parents? compared to Earth 2 helena who isn't a jerk.

Because the Al Ghul's are 'Evil' and Evil =jerk? It doesn't. Who is canonically a jerk Bruce Wayne or Ra's/talia? damian is a jerk primarily because he is like his Father.

because of the effects of Nurture? Since Selina opted to give her kid up lord knows what that kid is like or how they turned out.

Damian would be a jerk regardless when we look at Bruce Wayne's traits and how he treats those in his care.
    I didn't like how Selena gave her child up but if Bruce helped her with the adoption the child probably wound up in a stable wealthy household. Damian would be less of a jerk if he grew up with a mundane rich family instead of dealing with batfamily drama.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I didn't like how Selena gave her child up but if Bruce helped her with the adoption the child probably wound up in a stable wealthy household. Damian would be less of a jerk if he grew up with a mundane rich family instead of dealing with batfamily drama.
    Bruce thinks dressing kids up in bright colours and sticking them on Bad guys is okay. He isn't the best authority on 'stable' or what's best for kids in need as we've seen time and again. Even Wayne orphanages multiple times have had nefarious goings on with Batman being non the wiser.

It's just not his area of expertise.

Damian would have less issues if he was adopted into a normal functioning environment with stable, healthy and caring adults [they don't have to be rich] but we don't know where helena Kyle ended up and a wealthy household doesn't =good.

I can get behind Selina giving up her child. As a parent you do what is best for your child. selina wasn't prepared to give up her dangerous lifestyle and enemies from the past were a threat so she did what she had to remove the kid from the theatre of conflict. Unlike Bruce who thrust them into it head on.

I wish we'd seen more of Selina as a mum but I can't fault her decision
    Last edited by Fergus; 11-27-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Even though not having Bruce be the father took a lot of the impact from the story, I still thought the arc of Selina as a mother was really well done. When she gave the baby up it made sense but it broke my heart.
    I think the baby isn't in continuity post New 52.
    I would love for Selina and Bruce to have Helena together in the comics. It would be an exciting development to see their relationship grow, to be parents together, to see Damien as a big brother.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post

Outside of the Hush storylines, there aren't that many stories about Bruce and Selina as a couple, and they're mainly from the Catwoman book. It's why the 80 Years of BatCat book was so small and elicits yawns. It doesn't even have most of the stories referenced in King's series as rereading those original stories shows Selina is a bit of...well, she has a lot of defenders on this site who don't actually know what the silver, bronze, and dark age character was but it makes sense that Bruce would never trust her or advance a relationship with her.
    As someone who finds Bruce/Selina a horribly overrated pairing, Len Wein's 70's/80's Batman run devoted a significant amount of panel time to showing Bruce/Selina as a serious couple. During that run, their relationship only ended because Selina decided to leave Gotham.

Truth be told, Bruce/Talia have never, to my knowledge, had a lengthy run in a real relationship. With both the Wein and King runs, Bruce/Selina have had at least two.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    As someone who finds Bruce/Selina a horribly overrated pairing, Len Wein's 70's/80's Batman run devoted a significant amount of panel time to showing Bruce/Selina as a serious couple. During that run, their relationship only ended because Selina decided to leave Gotham.

Truth be told, Bruce/Talia have never, to my knowledge, had a lengthy run in a real relationship. With both the Wein and King runs, Bruce/Selina have had at least two.
    I remember reading somewhere that O'Neil had something to do with that and/or something about preventing Selina from crossing over into Bruce's book as much in the 90s because he was pushing Talia as the main love, but I'm not sure how truthful that is.

Popularity wise, as far as the wider mainstream is concerned, Selina has always had the edge over Talia regardless if whatever the comics are doing.

Fantastic Member

I mean, of course Selina is going to have more mainstream popularity. She's made more media appearances in general, and her appeal isn't limited to being Batman's love interest.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    I mean, of course Selina is going to have more mainstream popularity. She's made more media appearances in general, and her appeal isn't limited to being Batman's love interest.
    It is obvious for this reason, but it does sometimes seem the Bruce/Selina paring is regarded as this pairing invented and pushed by Tom King out of nowhere on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    if Damian had been the son of Selina instead of Talia? That way in Tom King's run it would have given more weight to the Batman/Catwoman relationship. Oh,we have a son together, we know that we love each other let's get married. Plus you could have still done the Damian as a criminal thing in the beginning, although being trained as a thief with fighting skills instead of an assasin.
    Personally, I would prefer the whole Tom King run to be a long dream Bruce had while in a sensory deprivation tank, but that's just one person's opinion.

Extraordinary Member

Damian’s personality is basically based on the premise of being raised by Talia, so for him, it wouldn’t make sense to trade out the mother for Selina. Helena Wayne being a pretty heroic vigilante also fits with the idea of being raised by Selina and Bruce (and even to some extent the idea of either one raising her solo, thanks to Selina’s habitual backsliding into superheroism as much as supervillainy.)

I know the Brave and the Bold cartoon tried to do that, but, well, that wasn’t really Damian in personality.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Batman Brave and The Bold animated series already did the Damian son of Bruce and Selina who goes on to be Robin to Dickbats storyline.

Paying homage to the old Batman II and Robin II stories of the past, where it was Bruce and Kathy Kane as the parents of Robin II?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Personally, I would prefer the whole Tom King run to be a long dream Bruce had while in a sensory deprivation tank, but that's just one person's opinion.
    What if it was Ben Affleck s dream while he was shooting Daredevil?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    if Damian had been the son of Selina instead of Talia? That way in Tom King's run it would have given more weight to the Batman/Catwoman relationship. Oh,we have a son together, we know that we love each other let's get married. Plus you could have still done the Damian as a criminal thing in the beginning, although being trained as a thief with fighting skills instead of an assasin.
    Nahhh, Selena is more likely to give Damian up for adoption than keep him. She did that with Helena during one of the Catwoman comics.

Plus Damian adjusting to a stepmother is a cool story to tell. Blended families are more the norm so exploring that makes sense to me.

Incredible Member

I always though the idea of Damian as big brother had a lot of potential. And there's been so many male Robins, it'd be nice to see if Bruce is any different with a daughter.

The only obstacle is in figuring out how to have Helena magically show up at the correct age to be part of that. The only thing I can think would be to resurrect the storyline of Selina giving up her child for adoption and reveal that it was Bruce's all along. People would accept that, since it was never anything but an anticlimax that it wasn't his anyway, after all the hinting and even naming her Helena.

But then she should be angry and resentful that her parents gave her up for adoption while they stayed a couple, and also Bruce should be furious that Selina lied to him about Helena's paternity. I don't know how he'd forgive her for that (because if he knew all along and still gave her away, that'd be pretty messed up).