Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Wouldn't it make more sense if Damian were Selina's son instead of Talia's?

if Damian had been the son of Selina instead of Talia? That way in Tom King's run it would have given more weight to the Batman/Catwoman relationship. Oh,we have a son together, we know that we love each other let's get married. Plus you could have still done the Damian as a criminal thing in the beginning, although being trained as a thief with fighting skills instead of an assasin.

I think Damian being the son of a costumed cat-burglar would change his character quite a bit compared to being the scion of the Demon's Head and his daughter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Damian being the son of a costumed cat-burglar would change his character quite a bit compared to being the scion of the Demon's Head and his daughter.
    He would probably be a bit less of a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    He would probably be a bit less of a jerk.

How do you figure?

Because he is a bastard child of unwed parents? compared to Earth 2 helena who isn't a jerk.

Because the Al Ghul's are 'Evil' and Evil =jerk? It doesn't. Who is canonically a jerk Bruce Wayne or Ra's/talia? damian is a jerk primarily because he is like his Father.

because of the effects of Nurture? Since Selina opted to give her kid up lord knows what that kid is like or how they turned out.

Damian would be a jerk regardless when we look at Bruce Wayne's traits and how he treats those in his care.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    How do you figure?

Because he is a bastard child of unwed parents? compared to Earth 2 helena who isn't a jerk.

Because the Al Ghul's are 'Evil' and Evil =jerk? It doesn't. Who is canonically a jerk Bruce Wayne or Ra's/talia? damian is a jerk primarily because he is like his Father.

because of the effects of Nurture? Since Selina opted to give her kid up lord knows what that kid is like or how they turned out.

Damian would be a jerk regardless when we look at Bruce Wayne's traits and how he treats those in his care.
    I didn't like how Selena gave her child up but if Bruce helped her with the adoption the child probably wound up in a stable wealthy household. Damian would be less of a jerk if he grew up with a mundane rich family instead of dealing with batfamily drama.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I didn't like how Selena gave her child up but if Bruce helped her with the adoption the child probably wound up in a stable wealthy household. Damian would be less of a jerk if he grew up with a mundane rich family instead of dealing with batfamily drama.
    Bruce thinks dressing kids up in bright colours and sticking them on Bad guys is okay. He isn't the best authority on 'stable' or what's best for kids in need as we've seen time and again. Even Wayne orphanages multiple times have had nefarious goings on with Batman being non the wiser.

It's just not his area of expertise.

Damian would have less issues if he was adopted into a normal functioning environment with stable, healthy and caring adults [they don't have to be rich] but we don't know where helena Kyle ended up and a wealthy household doesn't =good.

I can get behind Selina giving up her child. As a parent you do what is best for your child. selina wasn't prepared to give up her dangerous lifestyle and enemies from the past were a threat so she did what she had to remove the kid from the theatre of conflict. Unlike Bruce who thrust them into it head on.

I wish we'd seen more of Selina as a mum but I can't fault her decision
    Last edited by Fergus; 11-27-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    if Damian had been the son of Selina instead of Talia? That way in Tom King's run it would have given more weight to the Batman/Catwoman relationship. Oh,we have a son together, we know that we love each other let's get married. Plus you could have still done the Damian as a criminal thing in the beginning, although being trained as a thief with fighting skills instead of an assasin.
    If Tom KIng had created Damian, I would say yes. But Damian was around before that. A better question would be, "because of Damian, wouldn't it make more sense for Tom King to write a love affair between Bruce and Talia."
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

If Damian was some bring new OC introduced in King's run than yeah, it would but since he's been around for a hot minute now it wouldn't make any sense to retcon him as Bruce and Selina's biological son.

Incredible Member

Stop trying to make dami batcat's kid! They already have helena! Let damian and athanasia symbolize brutalia!
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Don't worry, sooner or later one writer will retcon Damian as Selina and Bruce's lovechild for the sake of shipping. They'll just say Talia went crazy and stole Selina's newborn baby.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Batman Brave and The Bold animated series already did the Damian son of Bruce and Selina who goes on to be Robin to Dickbats storyline.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by oopsididitagain View Post
    don't worry, sooner or later one writer will retcon damian as selina and bruce's lovechild for the sake of shipping. They'll just say talia went crazy and stole selina's newborn baby.
    i hate it so much!
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Don't worry, sooner or later one writer will retcon Damian as Selina and Bruce's lovechild for the sake of shipping. They'll just say Talia went crazy and stole Selina's newborn baby.
    Lol, the way I see it is some writer will introduce one this little punk that is suddenly the child that Selina hide from Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    That gives less weight to the Bat/Cat relationship. They're going from getting married because they love each other to getting married because they have a kid.

Damian has nothing to do with Bruce and Selina's relationship and that doesn't need to change. The character was never made to accommodate the BatCat ship so why should he suddenly be made to do that now?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Pretty much this. He'd basically stop being Damian. Even at her worst, I doubt Selina would be the kind of parent that Talia and Ra's were. Take away his upbringing and you're left with someone who might as well be a completely new character.
    Last edited by Blue22; 11-18-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    That gives less weight to the Bat/Cat relationship. They're going from getting married because they love each other to getting married because they have a kid.

Damian has nothing to do with Bruce and Selina's relationship and that doesn't need to change. The character was never made to accommodate the BatCat ship so why should he suddenly be made to do that now?

Pretty much this. He'd basically stop being Damian. Even at her worst, I doubt Selina would be the kind of parent that Talia and Ra's were. Take away his upbringing and you're left with someone who might as well be a completely new character.
    You mean like Tallant and Ibn, who are both technically Damian, are completely different characters due to Talia's choices?