Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Angry 'Cool' Pre-90s Comic Artists?

In comics there is a preconceived notion that "cool" art is synonymous with the 1990s, as that was a time when anatomical accuracy was sacrificed in exchange for style and what was considered "cool" at the time. While some artists such as Jim Lee, Mike Mignola, and Liam Sharp have been able to evolve with the times, most artists from the 90s are considered garish and passé.

What are some artists who rose to prominence before the 90s who favor style over realism.

There are countless classic artists whom I love who don't fit this description because they favor realism and storytelling over style:

Brian Bolland
    Joe Kubert
    Dave Gibbons
    Will Eisner
    Steve Rude
    Steve Ditko
    George Perez
    Hal Foster
    Dave Sim
    Alex Raymond
    Bernie Wrightson
    Nick Cardy
    Jim Starlin
    Wally Wood
    Mike Grell
    John Romita sr.
    Tim Truman
    Dave Cockrum
    Joe Staton
    John Severin
    Gene Colan
    Curt Swan
    John Byrne
    Don Heck
    Mark Schultz

Here are some artists who fit my description:

Jack Kirby
    Mick McMahon
    Keith Giffen
    Kevin O'Neill
    Alex Toth
    Simon Bisley
    Jim Steranko
    Howard Chaykin
    Mike Mignola
    Moebius
    Richard Corben
    Enki Bilal
    Bill Sienkiewicz
    Frank Miller
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 11-18-2020 at 01:03 PM.

The list of people who fit your description is a murderers row of master storytellers, so your post is kind of bullshit.

I mean, any list that features Alex Toth as a “style over technical competency” artist is going to get laughed out of any conversation on the subject.

Also post some examples of the names on your list at the bottom lack technical competency. Half those names flat out defined comics as legitimate storytelling. Like, am I reading your post wrong?
    Last edited by Joker; 11-18-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Alex Toth. I can see putting him on the second list.
    He is/can be technically sound af, but def. has a style over anatomical correctness thing going on most times. It’s beautiful work on his part.

Gene Colan is a style over substance guy. And thats what makes him great, he really stood out in his time because the rest of comic artists were pretty much telling straightforward stories with pretty safe artistic choices, whereas Colan was creating Dali-esque vignettes and making even the Ani-Men look surreal and menacing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Boisterously Confused

I'm kind of like Joker in thinking some on your list are actually great story tellers, but I can see what you mean about being style driven. As I read your initial criteria, before looking at the lists, Sternanko was the first name that popped to mind.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Trevor von Eeden

Later Carmine Infantino

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Mighty Member

George Perez is the one that sticks out for me.

His attention to detail, especially in Crisis on Infinite Earths was spectacular.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The list of people who fit your description is a murderers row of master storytellers, so your post is kind of bullshit.

I mean, any list that features Alex Toth as a “style over technical competency” artist is going to get laughed out of any conversation on the subject.

Also post some examples of the names on your list at the bottom lack technical competency. Half those names flat out defined comics as legitimate storytelling. Like, am I reading your post wrong?
    You are reading my post wrong. I didn't mean to knock the people on the list as 'bad storytellers', more that they favor a more stylized aesthetic in expense of realism not storytelling.

A few personal favorites would be...

P. Craig Russell

John Totleben

Ron Frenz
    Last edited by K7P5V; 11-18-2020 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added some more favorites.

Neil Adams is a must for this list. He helped modernized comic book art in a big way.

Arthur Adams came along a little later, but I like his stuff, too!

Matt Wagner and Bill Willingham are known more for their writing, but their artwork has personality as well.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm kind of like Joker in thinking some on your list are actually great story tellers, but I can see what you mean about being style driven. As I read your initial criteria, before looking at the lists, Sternanko was the first name that popped to mind.
    TBC i think the artists on both lists are great. It’s just they do things in different ways.
    I mean that’s what’s great about art.

Here’s an example of an artist from the first OP list doing a character made famous by an artist on the second OP list...:

It’s pretty great that these artists often admire each others’ work, despite their styles being different.
    We fans are the winners in these cases.

Some more personal favorites...

Gil Kane

Mike Zeck

Todd McFarlane

Invincible Member

Hmm...I'm not sure I'm understanding the OP's perspective. Alex Raymond to me is a realistic artist, but the majority of the people on the first list are not.

It's a fucking confusing post!

Even more personal favorites...

John Buscema

Mark Bagley

Ron Lim

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-19-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.