Thread: Big Sky

Default Big Sky

Along that line...

Moderate Spoilers!!!:

spoilers:
    Did you actually clock that something was off with the cop before the ending?

Once they really started going into the issue with his wife(combined with that he was so adamant about "knowing..." everyone), I got to thinking "Huh, I wonder what this adds up to?...)
    end of spoilers

I don't know what you're talking about - the ending seemed pretty unremarkable to me...

Given that I actually read the books the series is based on, the "surprises" in the show weren't really that shocking. I was more waiting for it rather than being "shocked" by it.

The series pretty much hinges on the stupid pretty teenager getting a case of road rage against a tractor trailer. If she'd shown the least little modicum of brains, the story ends in 15 minutes.

They flipped the racial makeup of the Cassie character which is fine but the difference from the books is that the character isn't some drop dead gorgeous woman but someone that most would refer to as "a real life woman". Also, we meet her dad in the show. In the book, that character is actually her mother. Those are cosmetic changes that don't affect the overall show but just noting it here.

It was a fine random forgettable way to kill an hour, much like Stumptown was last year in the same timeslot. In other words, I'm kind of disappointed that they took a great bit of source material and made a mediocre hash of things.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I thought it was okay.

Having not read (or known about) the source material, the ending took me by surprise. I’ll prob. keep watching, but it wasn’t amazing or anything. Def. not as good as i was hoping, and not as engaging as the aforementioned Stumptown.

so the prostitute has "junk" and the creepy truck driver is a momma's boy in more ways than one. Creepy episode tonight.

3 eps in, and I'm done. The initial shock ending was a fine gimmick, but now that that's done, it really just reminds me of the worst parts of "24" - i.e. the Kim storylines, but all wrapped in one and if the entire show was only that. When I find myself questioning the actions of the characters - even the "smart ones" - then it takes me out of it too much.(I'm not going to even list them all) David E Kelley has written some fine tv in his day, but this is trite at best, a condescending attempt at feminism at worst. Like he wrote in this very episode, "the worst might be the progressives who think they know."

The actual, real world, worst part of this show is how it throws in that blurb about human trafficking at the end. 99% of REAL human trafficking and sex exploitation of girls and minors looks nothing like this sensationalized, stereotypical version. (no, that's not a real statistic, I just used it for emphasis) Real human trafficking happens in little communities with little fanfare and no actual kidnapping/ sold into sex slavery. It's usually much quieter and the people involved much more mundane. Minors being exploited by people they know and trust. To portray human trafficking as this kind of overly-dramatic schlock just undermines the possibility of people recognizing and calling out human trafficking when it's actually happening around them.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-05-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    3 eps in, and I'm done. The initial shock ending was a fine gimmick, but now that that's done, it really just reminds me of the worst parts of "24" - i.e. the Kim storylines, but all wrapped in one and if the entire show was only that. When I find myself questioning the actions of the characters - even the "smart ones" - then it takes me out of it too much.(I'm not going to even list them all) David E Kelley has written some fine tv in his day, but this is trite at best, a condescending attempt at feminism at worst. Like he wrote in this very episode, "the worst might be the progressives who think they know."

The actual, real world, worst part of this show is how it throws in that blurb about human trafficking at the end. 99% of REAL human trafficking and sex exploitation of girls and minors looks nothing like this sensationalized, stereotypical version. (no, that's not a real statistic, I just used it for emphasis) Real human trafficking happens in little communities with little fanfare and no actual kidnapping/ sold into sex slavery. It's usually much quieter and the people involved much more mundane. Minors being exploited by people they know and trust. To portray human trafficking as this kind of overly-dramatic schlock just undermines the possibility of people recognizing and calling out human trafficking when it's actually happening around them.
    It's been some incredibly bad and cliched writing that has killed the show. And the changes from book to screen are making it worse. If they'd had the balls to do the book story, it might've been a far darker but much more interesting story. I'm pretty sure I'm done with the show too.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

ABC gave the show an order for 6 more episodes.