Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

Default Game of the Year 2020

seems like it's really just Ghost of Tsushima vs. TLOU2, -maybe- FF7 remake

others feel just like list padding

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Should be Ghost, will be LOU2.

Ghost gets my vote. Enjoyed Last of us 2 but really liked Ghost of Tsushima more

What a weird selection.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post

seems like it's really just Ghost of Tsushima vs. TLOU2, -maybe- FF7 remake

others feel just like list padding
    Hades is GOTY material. Anyone should try that game, it's incredibly fun and catches you like nothing else.
    And it's pretty well made.

Way better than FF7R, for example.

Pretty slow gaming year. Doom Eternal is on sale now, but probably won’t get round to Ghost Of Tsushima until next year. Probably LOU2 will win, as it was a pretty good upgrade from the original.

I'm rooting for Animal Crossing. It honestly had the most impact of any game released in 2020.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

To be honest LOU2 is only likely to win because of its mature subject matter and inclusive nature and not much else. Animal Crossing or Ghost makes more sense in terms of gaming.

I've only played TLOU2 but its hard for me to fathom any game winning over it. I've played video games for nearly 40 years now and this is the only second game ever that emotionally affected me as this game did. The other was the The Last of Us. I finished the game and was just emotionally drained but I say that as a positive. I've played many a game with a great story but with all the rest it was finish, shrug, and move on to the next. With this one I wasn't sure I wanted to play something else. I dealt with that by going back and playing The Last of Us again. Then TLOU2 again. Then decided to finally push through the Uncharted series where I'd only played the first two games - while good and a great story I really only think of Nate, Sully, and Elena when doing comparisons whereas I think of Joel, Ellie, and Abby all the time. The game has stuck with me.

I'd be more than satisfied with any of the 4 games in the middle

Animal Crossing New Horizons has probably had the biggest impact. It's massive.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It should be Animal Crossing since it still makes the headlines but it's gonna be TLoU 2 which got bodied by Ghosts anyway.

TLoU 2had good VA work tho. Big ups.
    "Cable was right!"

It should be between Animal Crossing and Ghost with Animal Crossing winning out. Instead TLOU2 will win because apparently the makers of the game went to the Rian Johnson school of subverting expectations while driving away fans and almost killing the franchise.

Critics and judges love that stuff.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It should be between Animal Crossing and Ghost with Animal Crossing winning out. Instead TLOU2 will win because apparently the makers of the game went to the Rian Johnson school of subverting expectations while driving away fans and almost killing the franchise.

Critics and judges love that stuff.
    I mean, it will win because it's a really good game. I don't know what else to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I mean, it will win because it's a really good game. I don't know what else to say.
    Well, we could say that once the pre-order sales that was the result of the goodwill generated by the first game was over with the sales sunk like a stone. We could also say that gaming journalist and commentators (The folks who hand out these things) loathe their audience almost as much as comic journalist and commentators. Then we finish it off by saying that The Last Of Us is being turned into a HBO show (Which will take it's inspiration from the crowd pleasing first game, not the 2) and this is a chance for some synergy,
    https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...-show-pandemic
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest