Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

For me it’s 1164 Morning Glory Circle, Westport, CT—the home of Mr. and Mrs. Darrin Stephens.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Didn’t they say that Monica took over the lease on that apartment from an old relative—one who presumably had been living there when rents in NYC were affordable—and it was rent-controlled?
    Yeah they made a point of mentioning that several times.

Jerry's apartment from Seinfeld or Eleanor's place from The Good Place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Jerry's apartment from Seinfeld or Eleanor's place from The Good Place.
    With the platform bed and the clown painting?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    With the platform bed and the clown painting?
    I could do without the clown paintings ...

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Southfork on Dallas

Loved that living room and dining room especially.

I knew that as much as you love Dallas, you would answer your own question with Southfork.

However, as much as I also like Dallas, this is one time I have to disagree with you.

In general, the sets on Dallas were terrible -- especially in the early seasons. For a billionaire oil family, they were given a really chintzy-looking set. That living room/dining room set was extremely small, and most of the in-house scenes took place there -- or in one of the small bedrooms. The Ewing Oil offices were terrible, too. Once Dynasty took off, you can see how the Dallas producers tried to renovate their sets to make them look more upscale, but could never match Dynasty.

In contrast, the sets on Dynasty were spectacular. Say what you want about the show, but it reeked of money. Aaron Spelling always made his shows look the best on TV, and Dynasty is the prime example of that. Spelling never skimped on production values and wardrobe for his shows. You can really see the money on screen.

I love Dallas, but the Ewings lived like white trash compared to the Carringtons. The mansion and Alexis' apartment were fantastic looking.

So, my choices for favorite living spaces from TV are (in no particular order):

- Dynasty

- Frasier

- Mary Tyler Moore Show - the original apartment

- Brady Bunch - even if the inside didn't match the outside.

- Friends - Monica's apartment was refreshing in that the couch didn't face outward to the studio audience. Ditto for Chandler and Joey's apartment recliner chairs.

- I Love Lucy - loved that cavernous Connecticut house

- Jeannie's bottle interior

- Facts of Life Season 1 house

- Golden Girls house

- Wayne Manor on Batman '66

- Diff'rent Strokes apartment
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 11-19-2020 at 05:06 PM.

My favorites:
    USS Enterprise, the TNG version
    Banks Mansion on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    Gargoyles castle on top of Xanatos building

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I knew that as much as you love Dallas, you would answer your own question with Southfork.

However, as much as I also like Dallas, this is one time I have to disagree with you.

In general, the sets on Dallas were terrible -- especially in the early seasons. For a billionaire oil family, they were given a really chintzy-looking set. That living room/dining room set was extremely small, and most of the in-house scenes took place there -- or in one of the small bedrooms. The Ewing Oil offices were terrible, too. Once Dynasty took off, you can see how the Dallas producers tried to renovate their sets to make them look more upscale, but could never match Dynasty.

In contrast, the sets on Dynasty were spectacular. Say what you want about the show, but it reeked of money. Aaron Spelling always made his shows look the best on TV, and Dynasty is the prime example of that. Spelling never skimped on production values and wardrobe for his shows. You can really see the money on screen.

I love Dallas, but the Ewings lived like white trash compared to the Carringtons. The mansion and Alexis' apartment were fantastic looking.
    I must take issue. Southfork was an unappreciated character. It was not a product of Jock Ewing's narcissistic oil empire, it was a legacy of Miss Ellie's Cattle Baron forebearers.

As a practical matter, it was built in a time when much of American Opulence was a bit more humble. As a storytelling device, it is a backdrop reminding us of from where the Ewing's came.

Retired

Hard to think of many houses or apartments where we got the complete floorplan--usually they were just confined to one or two rooms.

I like Mac and Sally's place in San Francisco, MCMILLAN & WIFE. Seems to me we got to see most of that house. And just being able to live with Mac, Sally and Mildred would be a dream come true.

Not a T.V. show but a movie, the council house that the Beatles live in, in HELP! I have a lot of quarrels with HELP! as a movie, but that fantastic house they had was so clever. I like to imagine all four Beatles living there together forever.

And because I'm watching MEDIUM these days, the house that Allison, Joe, Ariel, Bridgette and Marie have seems like a great place to raise a family. Living in Arizona--I'm not so sure about. They seem to have a lot of serial killers and unsolved murders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Hard to think of many houses or apartments where we got the complete floorplan--usually they were just confined to one or two rooms.
    The Brady House we saw the exterior of totally didn’t look like the set built to represent the inside. Last year HGTV bought the place and renovated it to match. They had the Brady kids help, went on scavenger hunts to find the right patterns for stuff and furnishings. It was pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I must take issue. Southfork was an unappreciated character. It was not a product of Jock Ewing's narcissistic oil empire, it was a legacy of Miss Ellie's Cattle Baron forebearers.

As a practical matter, it was built in a time when much of American Opulence was a bit more humble. As a storytelling device, it is a backdrop reminding us of from where the Ewing's came.

Actually, my memory of the show is that Jock Ewing built the Southfork house after he struck it rich and married Ellie. Yes, it was on her property, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't her original house that she grew up in.

Of course, backstory details change and evolve over the course of the series. I'm going based on what I remember in dialogue from the episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1986 TV-Movie, Dallas: The Early Years contradicted this so they wouldn't have to build another house to shoot in or bother explaining why the house was different. I haven't seen the movie since its original airing, I think.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 11-19-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Barney Stinson's apartment. ("How I Met You Mother")

Stately Wayne Manor (complete with Batcave)

Don Draper's apartment (I almost said "Sterling Archer's place" but Don's apartment is pretty much Archer's place)

The Quest compound on Palm Key.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Actually, my memory of the show is that Jock Ewing built the Southfork house after he struck it rich and married Ellie. Yes, it was on her property, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't her original house that she grew up in.

Of course, backstory details change and evolve over the course of the series. I'm going based on what I remember in dialogue from the episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1986 TV-Movie, Dallas: The Early Years contradicted this so they wouldn't have to build another house to shoot in or bother explaining why the house was different. I haven't seen the movie since its original airing, I think.
    Like you, my memory is vague enough that I'm not ready to die on this hill. Nor am I willing to inflict enough episodes of research on my eyeballs to prove the point.

Call it a draw?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The Quest compound on Palm Key.
    Oooooooh! Great Call!

Although, I have admit, I think of The Dragonfly as their home more than Palm Key.

Dragonfly.jpg
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 11-19-2020 at 07:48 PM.