Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    If we mean the X-Men, the problem is that Wolverine is one of the X-men, he's not the only protagonist or main character of a team book, so it wouldn't make sense to call the X-men his supporting cast when he himself is basically part of the supporting cast for Scott, Xavier, Jean Gray, Storm, Kitty Pryde.

If we take Wolverine's solo title...then the supporting cast is...the Hudsons (?), Mariko, Daken (who's also a villain and currently a member of X-Force). That's not impressive, my dude.

Supporting cast needs a narrow definition. What is the cast of a character in a solo title? A more narrow definition, how much of the supporting cast count as non-superheroes, non-sidekicks, non-villains.

If we say Cap has a great supporting cast and include the Avengers, we'd need to argue that Thor has a great supporting cast and that includes Cap in his supporting cast as well, and that is category fraud.

Spider-Man and Daredevil have a traditional supporting cast, and the best in Marvel as a whole.

-- Daredevil has Foggy Nelson, the Stick, Karen Page (or he did), and now recently that includes his ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, his girls-of-the-week, denizens at Josie's.
    -- Spider-Man has the biggest civilian supporting cast of Marvel, including Marvel's two biggest civilian characters who are the only ones to have made more than 1100 appearances (and counting), Mary Jane Watson, and J. Jonah Jameson. Then you have Aunt May, Robbie Robertson, Flash Thompson, Harry Osborn, Liz Allan, and so on and so forth.
    I think Wolverine overtook the X-men franchise years back. Like how Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods became larger than their respective sports at the peaks of their powers. Wolverine became bigger than the X-men. Look at the X-men movies. He's the only one with his solo movies, video games. Look at his solo comics. Marvel's pulled him for Avengers stories and countless general Marvel stories away from the X-men; so in effect, many of those in the X-Universe are Wolverine's supporting cast. He stands above them all by a wide margin in terms of marketability, popularity, and use.

With Cap, I can't say Ironman or Thor are below him. If you want to make a case for some other Avengers truly being Cap's supporting cast, you might argue, but I'd like to hear the argument first. Like Falcon and Bucky being his sidekicks at times while also being Avengers
    Last edited by Jabare; 11-21-2020 at 07:47 AM.
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I think Wolverine overtook the X-men franchise years back.
    No Wolverine solo ever had the success that HoX/PoX has.

Like how Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods became larger than their respective sports at the peaks of their powers.
    But Basketball and Golf has moved on right. Today Basketball is about LeBron and several others. I don't follow Golf but I guess there are other new talents since Woods' scandal tanked his career.

Wolverine became bigger than the X-men. Look at the X-men movies.
    The topic is "Avenger with the best supporting cast" so the discussion was about comics.

If we are going to consider the movies then the fact that Wolverine is not an Avenger in any movie or cartoon alone disqualifies him. So this is category fraud upon category fraud.

This isn't about who is the most prominent X-Men and so on, or who has a bigger franchise presence.

With Cap, I can't say Ironman or Thor are below him. If you want to make a case for some other Avengers truly being Cap's supporting cast, you might argue, but I'd like to hear the argument first. Like Falcon and Bucky being his sidekicks at times while also being Avengers
    Which is why I think having a precise category works, because otherwise this isn't a worthwhile discussion because the goalposts keep changing around and so on.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    And it’s technically happened twice! Brubaker arguably did first, in a better written way.
    I really miss Brubaker at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    And it’s technically happened twice! Brubaker arguably did first, in a better written way.
    Yeah, Brubaker had a good excuse. His Cap was dead. Coates' Cap is alive in the story and still taking a backseat.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

oops, never mind

Has everyone truly forgotten Mr. Dibbles?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Has everyone truly forgotten Mr. Dibbles?
    Apparently, since I’ve never heard that name before.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Cap's supporting cast is so interesting that Coates decided to make his run about them and relegate Cap to a side character in his own book. What other supporting cast can say that of itself?^^
    Didn't Coates do the same thing with Black Panther?

If we are not counting everyone who ever held Avengers membership (such as Spider-Man) then it has to probably be one of the 4 core members who have solo titles, as almost everyone else only interacts exclusively with other team members. (Hawkeye does have Kate Bishop and Pizza Dog, and Scarlet Witch used to have her mutant siblings and father as well as her children and Agatha Harkness).

Honestly, I would cast my vote for the Hulk. I rarely read his adventures and yet I still know several of his supporting cast.
    General Ross (kinda the Hulk's J.J. Jameson)
    Betty Ross
    Rick Jones (The guy who somehow made a whole career out of sidekicking.)
    Marlo Chandler
    Amadeus Cho
    Doc Samson
    Jennifer Walters aka She-Hulk
    During the 90's he ran with the Pantheon
    Korg and Miek from Planet Hulk but probably better known for their MCU film appearances
    the original Defenders
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    If we are not counting everyone who ever held Avengers membership (such as Spider-Man) then it has to probably be one of the 4 core members who have solo titles, as almost everyone else only interacts exclusively with other team members. (Hawkeye does have Kate Bishop and Pizza Dog, and Scarlet Witch used to have her mutant siblings and father as well as her children and Agatha Harkness).

Honestly, I would cast my vote for the Hulk. I rarely read his adventures and yet I still know several of his supporting cast.
    Betty Ross
    Marlo Chandler
    Amadeus Cho
    Doc Samson
    Korg and Miek from Planet Hulk but probably better known for their MCU film appearances
    the original Defenders
    Naturally, it's because he's one of the characters that spent most of their time solo and thus could build up a supporting cast.

You didn't even mention Mr. Berengetti.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't Coates do the same thing with Black Panther?
    We call that a trend.

I love when heroes supporting cast shows up in another's book. In Silver Surfer 1 from 1968 he save and astronaut from a capsule that has sunk into the ocean. The astronaut? none other then Col Jon Jameson.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Apparently, since I’ve never heard that name before.
    Quicksilver’s turtle in his most recent mini
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

Betty Ross
    Marlo Chandler
    Amadeus Cho
    Doc Samson
    the original Defenders
    Great post. I didn't post earlier mainly because I really don't consider him an "Avenger" per se.

The current Immortal Hulk also introduced some really amazing characters like Dr. Charlene McGowan and Jackie McGee, not to mention the characters from the "Gamma Flight".
    It's an amazing supporting cast.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Cap's supporting cast is so interesting that Coates decided to make his run about them and relegate Cap to a side character in his own book. What other supporting cast can say that of itself?^^
    Captain Yas Queen.
    "Cable was right!"