Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Bill Bixby: Courtship of Eddie's Father, My Favorite Martian, The Magician, Hulk

Scott Bakula: Quantum Leap, Enterprise, CSI:NOLA

Bruce Boxleitner: Scarecrow & Mrs. King, Bab5

Dule Hill: West Wing, psych
    That would be NCIS.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    James Garner: Maverick to Rockford
    That one's kind of a toughie, because Rockford was created to be a modern take on Maverick.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    ...Bruce Boxleitner: Scarecrow & Mrs. King, Bab5.
    Bruce Boxleitner: How The West Was Won, Scarecrow & Mrs. King, Bab5.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 11-23-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Mary Tyler Moore from The Dick Van Dyke Show to The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
    Fun bit of trivia on that one. The series opened on Mary Richards job hunting b/c of a broken engagement. The original draft called for her to be a recent divorcee, but TPTB feared the audience might assume she'd divorced Dick Van Dyke's Rob Petrie (even tho the MTM characters had different first names) and dislike the new character for it.

Brain Cranston. Malcolm in the Middle to Breaking Bad.

Boom. Thread over.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Fun bit of trivia on that one. The series opened on Mary Richards job hunting b/c of a broken engagement. The original draft called for her to be a recent divorcee, but TPTB feared the audience might assume she'd divorced Dick Van Dyke's Rob Petrie (even tho the MTM characters had different first names) and dislike the new character for it.
    True. And I also read that a divorcee was not usually seen in a positive light in those days especially on television, so they changed it to make her a struggling single young woman.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    True. And I also read that a divorcee was not usually seen in a positive light in those days especially on television, so they changed it to make her a struggling single young woman.
    That's also true of The Brady Bunch. Florence Henderson's Carol was a divorcee in the pilot, Robert Reed's Mike a widower. After the pilot, Carol's ex- was never ever mentioned again, nor was her divorce. Kind of sad because both The Brady Bunch and MTM were deliberately intended to explore that increasingly common reality of America in those times.

Extraordinary Member

That's also true of The Brady Bunch. Florence Henderson's Carol was a divorcee in the pilot, Robert Reed's Mike a widower. After the pilot, Carol's ex- was never ever mentioned again, nor was her divorce. Kind of sad because both The Brady Bunch and MTM were deliberately intended to explore that increasingly common reality of America in those times.
    Mary Tyler Moore did explore divorce. But not with Mary Richards, but with Lou Grant. Lou and Edie were having problems off-camera as early as season 3. Season 4 saw the breakup of the marriage and Lou's struggles to accept the divorce and to move on. Edie remarried in early season 6.

True........except if you watch the tongue-in-cheek movie which combined a "Bunch" of old Brady Bunch shows into one!

They came up with an interesting twist too----the Professor from Gilligan's Island was really Carol's first husband! Yup! It was he who sent her the white horse sculpture shown in the TV series on the table next to the stairs. The man who got the Minnow lost on purpose was trying to steal the horse and its twin.

Mary Tyler Moore from "Dick Van Dyke" to "Mary Tyler Moore Show" BUT WITH Ed Asner from "Mary Tyler Moore Show" to "Lou Grant"

DOUBLE followup!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    True........except if you watch the tongue-in-cheek movie which combined a "Bunch" of old Brady Bunch shows into one!

They came up with an interesting twist too----the Professor from Gilligan's Island was really Carol's first husband! Yup! It was he who sent her the white horse sculpture shown in the TV series on the table next to the stairs. The man who got the Minnow lost on purpose was trying to steal the horse and its twin.
    ^^^I thought was clever af!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Mary Tyler Moore from "Dick Van Dyke" to "Mary Tyler Moore Show" BUT WITH Ed Asner from "Mary Tyler Moore Show" to "Lou Grant"

DOUBLE followup!
    ^^^Bonus Points!

Retired

Jim Garner actually followed up on MAVERICK with a number of film roles and then the T.V. series NICHOLS before he made THE ROCKFORD FILES.

I must have been one of the ten people who watched NICHOLS (and another six were members of the Kelly family). I thought it was a really great series, but it only lasted one season. Margot Kidder also starred. And Stuart Margolin was also in it (he would then become an important supporting actor in THE ROCKFORD FILES)

Where MAVERICK was set in the 1870s (I think), NICHOLS was set in the 1910s and THE ROCKFORD FILES was set in the 1970s. So maybe Garner was slowly shifting forward in time, in his T.V. roles.

The HOFF -- Knight Rider to Baywatch!
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-03-2020 at 02:02 AM.

Chemistry like with his daughter (Jodi Lyn O'Keefe), the actress 30 years his junior whom he ended up dating and almost marrying? Yeah, they had great chemistry.
    ^^^I found it funny James Gammon who played Johnson’s dad in that show, was only 9 years older than Johnson in rl!

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Robert Urich: Vega$ to Spencer For Hire

... I could do this all day. Heh
    ^^^And SWAT before those. He was the original Jim Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Jim Garner actually followed up on MAVERICK with a number of film roles and then the T.V. series NICHOLS before he made THE ROCKFORD FILES.

I must have been one of the ten people who watched NICHOLS (and another six were members of the Kelly family). I thought it was a really great series, but it only lasted one season. Margot Kidder also starred. And Stuart Margolin was also in it (he would then become an important supporting actor in THE ROCKFORD FILES)

Where MAVERICK was set in the 1870s (I think), NICHOLS was set in the 1910s and THE ROCKFORD FILES was set in the 1970s. So maybe Garner was slowly shifting forward in time, in his T.V. roles.
    Never heard of NICHOLS. Def. have to Google that one. Garner’s a favorite of mine, and I hate that I missed something he did.

Your post reminded me for some reason, that The A-Team’s George Peppard first hit the airwaves as Banacek.

The HOFF -- Knight Rider to Baywatch!
    ^^^Yeah he totally fits the bill.

Retired

For me George Peppard is BANACEK (never watched THE A-TEAM). And Banacek looks like Christoper Chance--the Human Target. I guess, given the timing, it's not possible that Carmine Infantino based Chance on Banacek--but it felt like the two were related.

David Hasselhoff will always be Snapper from THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS.

Dirk Benedict will always be Starbuck. However, Richard Hatch isn't Apollo--he's Phil Brent, the real Phil Brent, from ALL MY CHILDREN.

My favourite follow-up series for William Shatner--coming off of STAR TREK--was Barbary Coast, which also starred Doug McClure, who had been Trampas on THE VIRGINIAN. McClure was also Bowen Tyler in Edgar Rice Burroughs' THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT and THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT and David Innes in E.R.B.'s AT THE EARTH'S CORE.

Boisterously Confused

Raymond Burr: Perry Mason -> Ironside.

James Arness: Gunsmoke -> How To he West Was Won