Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Favorite follow up series

When an actor/actress gets famous for playing a character in a series, then shows up later in another series (that’s not a spinoff w. him/her as the same character) and nails it again, getting to play someone else.

I’ve been watching and enjoying Nash Bridges and i personally prefer Don Johnson’s character in that to Sonny Crockett. The show, while being dated, has def. aged better than Miami Vice, and the cast chemistry’s superior. I think Bridges actually outlasted Vice by one season but I’m not sure.

Bob Denver followed up Doby Gillis with Gilligan's Island.

Fred Gwynne followed Car 54 with The Munsters.

Mary Tyler Moore from The Dick Van Dyke Show to The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-18-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Lucille Ball. She played Lucy Riccardo in I Love Lucy and later as Lucy Carmichael in Here's Lucy!.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Bob Denver followed up Doby Gillis with Gilligan's Island.
    So I’ve heard.
    As much tv as I watched growing up, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis never aired for me to even know about. I found out about the show decades after being a Gillian fan when the internet came along!

Ron Howard from Andy Griffith to Happy Days
    Andy Griffith from Andy Griffith to Matlock.
    Raymond Burr from Perry Mason to Ironside.
    Robert Culp from Trackdown to I Spy to Greatest American Hero
    Ted Dansing from Cheers to Becker to CSI to The Good Place
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

^^^nicely done!

Here are a couple I thought of.

Ed O Niel Married with Children, Modern Family.
    Richard Dean Anderson MacGyver and Stargate SG-1
    David Duchovny X-Files, Californication
    Danny Devito, Taxi, Its Always Sunny
    David Boreanaz Angel Bones
    Alyssa Milano Whos the Boss, Charmed
    Holly Marie Combs Picket Fences, Charmed.
    Katy Sagal Married with Children, Futurama.
    Michael Chiklis The Comish, Shield
    Walton Groggins The Shield, Justified, The Unicorn.
    Shemar Moore The Young and the Restless, Criminal Minds, SWAT
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-18-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Mary Tyler Moore from The Dick Van Dyke Show to The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
    Fun bit of trivia on that one. The series opened on Mary Richards job hunting b/c of a broken engagement. The original draft called for her to be a recent divorcee, but TPTB feared the audience might assume she'd divorced Dick Van Dyke's Rob Petrie (even tho the MTM characters had different first names) and dislike the new character for it.

Brain Cranston. Malcolm in the Middle to Breaking Bad.

Boom. Thread over.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Fun bit of trivia on that one. The series opened on Mary Richards job hunting b/c of a broken engagement. The original draft called for her to be a recent divorcee, but TPTB feared the audience might assume she'd divorced Dick Van Dyke's Rob Petrie (even tho the MTM characters had different first names) and dislike the new character for it.
    True. And I also read that a divorcee was not usually seen in a positive light in those days especially on television, so they changed it to make her a struggling single young woman.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    True. And I also read that a divorcee was not usually seen in a positive light in those days especially on television, so they changed it to make her a struggling single young woman.
    That's also true of The Brady Bunch. Florence Henderson's Carol was a divorcee in the pilot, Robert Reed's Mike a widower. After the pilot, Carol's ex- was never ever mentioned again, nor was her divorce. Kind of sad because both The Brady Bunch and MTM were deliberately intended to explore that increasingly common reality of America in those times.

Extraordinary Member

That's also true of The Brady Bunch. Florence Henderson's Carol was a divorcee in the pilot, Robert Reed's Mike a widower. After the pilot, Carol's ex- was never ever mentioned again, nor was her divorce. Kind of sad because both The Brady Bunch and MTM were deliberately intended to explore that increasingly common reality of America in those times.
    Mary Tyler Moore did explore divorce. But not with Mary Richards, but with Lou Grant. Lou and Edie were having problems off-camera as early as season 3. Season 4 saw the breakup of the marriage and Lou's struggles to accept the divorce and to move on. Edie remarried in early season 6.

True........except if you watch the tongue-in-cheek movie which combined a "Bunch" of old Brady Bunch shows into one!

They came up with an interesting twist too----the Professor from Gilligan's Island was really Carol's first husband! Yup! It was he who sent her the white horse sculpture shown in the TV series on the table next to the stairs. The man who got the Minnow lost on purpose was trying to steal the horse and its twin.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’ve been watching and enjoying Nash Bridges and i personally prefer Don Johnson’s character in that to Sonny Crockett. The show, while being dated, has def. aged better than Miami Vice, and the cast chemistry’s superior. I think Bridges actually outlasted Vice by one season but I’m not sure.
    Chemistry like with his daughter (Jodi Lyn O'Keefe), the actress 30 years his junior whom he ended up dating and almost marrying? Yeah, they had great chemistry.

Also, Michael J Fox followed up "Family Ties" (and "An American President") with "Spin City."
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-20-2020 at 09:30 PM.

James Garner: Maverick to Rockford
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.