• Jeph Loeb

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
  • See Results

2 3.17%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It is David. Every writer since has just been playing with the concepts of the Hulk David created.
    PAD built off what came before him as well. Not to knock the guy or anything, I'd say incorporating and building off previous writers' work is what folks taking on a long running character should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    PAD built off what came before him as well. Not to knock the guy or anything, I'd say incorporating and building off previous writers' work is what folks taking on a long running character should do.
    Yeah PAD built his entire run off the stuff Byrne did with Bruce’s multiple personality disorder, and the Gray Hulk re-emerging was something that his immediate predecessor had done not PAD himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah PAD built his entire run off the stuff Byrne did with Bruce’s multiple personality disorder, and the Gray Hulk re-emerging was something that his immediate predecessor had done not PAD himself.
    The MPD was alluded to for a decade before bryne tbh

Stern run at least the earliest

I’m going to disagree strongly with the notion that Ewing’s lofty praise is due to being the hot new thing on everybody’s mind. I’m not going to claim I’ve read every Hulk comic ever — but I’ve read PAD, I’ve read Mantlo, I’ve read Pak and Loeb and Casey and Waid and Jones — and I have no problem saying Ewing’s 40 issues have been the best Hulk *I’ve* ever read to date. And that’s not going change in five years. Or ten.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I’m going to disagree strongly with the notion that Ewing’s lofty praise is due to being the hot new thing on everybody’s mind. I’m not going to claim I’ve read every Hulk comic ever — but I’ve read PAD, I’ve read Mantlo, I’ve read Pak and Loeb and Casey and Waid and Jones — and I have no problem saying Ewing’s 40 issues have been the best Hulk *I’ve* ever read to date. And that’s not going change in five years. Or ten.
    I agree its excellent, but one advantage of PAD's run vs. Ewing's is that under PAD, things settled. We had breathing room, a status qou that lasted for a little while and time to pull back before the big hits.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm actually amazed Waid has gotten one vote. As a writer I like Waid, his Hulk was just a bit pedestrian.
    Jason Aaron also had an opportunity to impress but dropped the ball. Forgettable run. Zero votes no surprise.
    Surprised Mantlo doesn't have a few more.
    Loeb wasn't writing Bruce so I don't feel he should be even in the poll.

PAD's dominance is justified because he is the best.
    PAD, Pak, Mantlo, Jones

I've read a few issues of Ewing but waiting to read it all in the eventual Omni circa 2022. Then I'll see where his run places to fill out my top 5.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Peter David writes the manliest Hulk I've ever seen.

My Top Three -

1.) Peter David

2.) Al Ewing (a close second)

3.) Greg Pak
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    PAD was given a significant amount of freedom (at first). The thing with the Hulk title at the time is that it was dangerously close to being given the axe. In fact, David got the gig because nobody else wanted to touch it. He took a lot of the different toys left behind by those before him and managed to put them all in the same sandbox. His work, as well as Todd's art, helped turn one of Marvels struggling books into one of its high sellers.

I do agree PAD may have stayed longer than he should have. However, some of the plot points he wanted to explore, yet never did, were extremely fascinating. Shame editorial clamped down on him when they did.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm actually amazed Waid has gotten one vote. As a writer I like Waid, his Hulk was just a bit pedestrian.
    Jason Aaron also had an opportunity to impress but dropped the ball. Forgettable run. Zero votes no surprise.
    Surprised Mantlo doesn't have a few more.
    Loeb wasn't writing Bruce so I don't feel he should be even in the poll.

PAD's dominance is justified because he is the best.
    PAD, Pak, Mantlo, Jones

I've read a few issues of Ewing but waiting to read it all in the eventual Omni circa 2022. Then I'll see where his run places to fill out my top 5.
    Aaron's run was a complete and utter turd. Waid actually started out well, but it's started to go off the rails in the latter half of Indestructible.