Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I don't know if anyone has mentioned them but the extended Stacy family was an important part of the late 90s early 2000s stories. Arthur, Paul and Jill Stacy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned them but the extended Stacy family was an important part of the late 90s early 2000s stories. Arthur, Paul and Jill Stacy.
    Yeah, I did in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I am surprised at all this interest in Anna Watson. Look not every supporting character needs to be cool or interesting. Anna is a nice person who loves May, and Mary Jane, and also cares for Peter. That's enough.

Give her more baggage for the sake of drama, as in the Fox Cartoon where they made a stupid mistake with that dynamic, and you ruin and compromise that. Why would May Parker want Peter and MJ get together, or be friends with Anna if she has such a negative and dark view about Peter? It doesn't make any sense. In the BND era, they sorta hinted that after Peter and MJ broke up, that May and Mary Jane also became cool in the aftermath...yet somehow May and Anna Watson were still friends. I can see May and Anna keeping a friendship while avoiding talking about some stuff but I can't imagine Anna wouldn't side with her niece first and foremost...so it didn't make sense. And I guess ultimately they dropped that plot.

(IN retrospect it's kind of amazing how BND kept making Aunt May more unlikable than she was before. I can't believe that a May Parker who adored Mary Jane and was friendly to Peter during their separated phase of the marriage would suddenly cool at MJ over a Post-BND breakup. It made no sense. Then Dan Slott made her a bigot for being prejudiced towards Anna Maria Marconi. A plot he wanted to do earlier by making May racist but had to be talked out of because people reminded her of her activism in the Len Wein era. It's like May became Fox Animation Anna Watson.)
    Anna Watson also wasn't introduced as a major supporting character. She was only a major supporting character when she lived with Peter & MJ as an Aunt May replacement. That said, she is in the book very little, even though she is connected to the other two most important women in Peter's life.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Alpha

Slott and the Spider office made this huge deal about Spidey getting a teenage sidekick, and even attached his appearances to an Amazing Spider-Man anniversary issue. Even homaged a classic comic book cover (Spider-Man vs. Superman) but the character's personality was sooo loathsome and costume design so bland and generic that it's no wonder he was forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

-Pav, who really liked that verison of Jack O'Lantern before becoming muddled together with Mysterio...
    Honestly, I really liked Mad Jack (Maguire Beck) and Mysterio (Daniel Berkhart) working together, exchanging identities when necessary to throw their enemies off the scent. I was a little disappointed when the Beetle formed her own all female Sinister Six that Maguire Beck wasn't among them.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Alpha

Slott and the Spider office made this huge deal about Spidey getting a teenage sidekick, and even attached his appearances to an Amazing Spider-Man anniversary issue. Even homaged a classic comic book cover (Spider-Man vs. Superman) but the character's personality was sooo loathsome and costume design so bland and generic that it's no wonder he was forgotten.
    I mean, to be fair, the character was only ever meant to be a one-off but then Slott was requested to extend the story after the orders for that one issue exceeded expectations.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Mighty Member

I remember Alpha, he is barely a footnote in Slott's run, let alone Spider-man history. It's funny how a character that appeared just before a landmark issue was so quickly forgotten about.

I think People forgot him before Superior #1 came out, which is probably an insult so good I can never come up with anything better

I thank you for reminding me of how the once in a lifetime event of a 50th anniversary was ruined by Alpha.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Does anybody remember the NEW Enforcers? It was a team that appeared in Web of Spider-man that included Eel, Vanisher, Super Adaptoid and the Dragon Man. It was that story where Spider-man had to created his first armored costume. It even got a foil cover.

THEN later in the story we found out that team wasn't even the real new Enforcers. the REAL New Enforcers was a group of Criminal Masterminds that included the Controller, Fixer, and Mr. Fear that were manipulating things behind the scenes as part of their big plan to take over all the crime in the city... and I don't think they ever appeared again.

Then there was Nightwatch, that guy that looked a lot like Spawn except ... hmm ... was there anything to his character other than looking like Spawn?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Does anybody remember the NEW Enforcers? It was a team that appeared in Web of Spider-man that included Eel, Vanisher, Super Adaptoid and the Dragon Man. It was that story where Spider-man had to created his first armored costume. It even got a foil cover.

THEN later in the story we found out that team wasn't even the real new Enforcers. the REAL New Enforcers was a group of Criminal Masterminds that included the Controller, Fixer, and Mr. Fear that were manipulating things behind the scenes as part of their big plan to take over all the crime in the city... and I don't think they ever appeared again.

Then there was Nightwatch, that guy that looked a lot like Spawn except ... hmm ... was there anything to his character other than looking like Spawn?
    Not in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the interest is because of how Anna is kind of an understated focal point to Mary Jane and even May and that connection led to Peter and MJ's relationship, so it's kind of interesting that so little has been done with her.

Although you're probably more likely to hear about MJ's dad and her issues with him than you are MJ's aunt who she lives with next to Peter. She hasn't been in any of the movies and I don't think MJ ever mentioned her in the PS4 games (although she was basically adult Ultimate MJ, who had her mom, so she might not have had an Aunt Anna of note).

When we were talking about BND making Aunt May unlikeable, I thought we were going to talk about when Mr. Negative turned her into this rotten, mean, old lady .
    Anna is a good person, and MJ has a lot of drama in her life, unfortunately, part of the point in drama is to not have a lot of positives in a character's life, so yeah, Anna is not gonna be included much unfortunately, specially since Peter is gonna be the positive aspect of MJ's life, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I'm surprised that (as far as I remember) she's not the mother of any of Kraven's children.
    She's not yeah, even before Sasha came around, and keep in mind Sasha debutted in 2008, 10 years after Calypso's death, 28 years after Calypso's debut, so even back then they weren't planning for Calypso to be the mother of his kids, and Sasha couldn't get in the way of that.

If I remember correctly, I think Calypso was treated as some recent woman that Kraven fell in love with, and without retcons, it makes sense she wouldn't have any of his children, at best a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    She also apparently sleep with one of his children if i remember correctly
    It's creepier than you make it sound like, since Alyosha looked a lot like Kraven too lol.

She has a type i suppose.

Is also kind of bizarre that Calypso has nothing to do with his resurrection, then again maybe Kraven's wife did that on purpose.
    I mean, Calypso was dead for years by that point, and Sasha was only focusing on those she considers to be family, it'd be weirder if she gave a damn about Calypso.

I thank you for reminding me of how the once in a lifetime event of a 50th anniversary was ruined by Alpha.
    That's okay man, next month we'll remind you of something even worse than Alpha so you can forget about him .
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-23-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Anna is a good person, and MJ has a lot of drama in her life, unfortunately, part of the point in drama is to not have a lot of positives in a character's life, so yeah, Anna is not gonna be included much unfortunately, specially since Peter is gonna be the positive aspect of MJ's life, yeah.

She's not yeah, even before Sasha came around, and keep in mind Sasha debutted in 2008, 10 years after Calypso's death, 28 years after Calypso's debut, so even back then they weren't planning for Calypso to be the mother of his kids, and Sasha couldn't get in the way of that.

If I remember correctly, I think Calypso was treated as some recent woman that Kraven fell in love with, and without retcons, it makes sense she wouldn't have any of his children, at best a baby.

It's creepier than you make it sound like, since Alyosha looked a lot like Kraven too lol.

I mean, Calypso was dead for years by that point, and Sasha was only focusing on those she considers to be family, it'd be weirder if she gave a damn about Calypso.

That's okay man, next month we'll remind you of something even worse than Alpha so you can forget about him .
    As i said, she has a type. Calypso died?, s#$% i seriously didn't knew, i need to reread some things.

Thank you, i appreciate your "good" wishes, i'm glad to see that our friendship has gotten to the point of mutual torture?!
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

Any of Kraven’s sons

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Any of Kraven’s sons
    I'd say all his children, it's not like Ana's done much other than be in an Inhumans book.

Although Marvel Action Spider-Man used them as his henchmen.

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Judas Traveller will always have a special place in my heart because he was introduced pretty shortly after I first started reading Spider-Man. I liked his original version that JM DeMatteis wrote and I think he may have been much cooler for longer had JMD had full control over him and he wasn’t explained off by other writers later.
    I agree 100% with you, I think that the original version of Judas Traveller had a lot of potential and it's sad to see how it got so badly wasted. As I've gone back and re-read the Clone Saga, I have often wondered. "What if only character X was handled by this specific writer/creative team" I also wonder that about the story overall and what if they had only one creative team handle a story across all four titles instead of 4 different writers and artists trying their best to tie it together.

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I was a huge Nightwatch fan and have the entire run of his solo series, he ditched the Spawn ripoff look in the first issue of his series. I hated it when they killed him off.