Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Characters that were introduced as a major character, but are now forgotten.

Spider-Man is a character that has one of the best supporting civilian casts in all of comicdom. Most superheroes supporting casts are either forgettable, or have to have everyone involved in superheroics in order to remain relevant. When it comes to Peter Parker, he has several characters who were always rather minor and remained there, however there are characters that writers will try to place as the next big thing and a major part of Peter's life...but they don't stand the tablet of...TEST of time. What characters do you remember being introduced to us as someone who will be a major part of Peter's life, but then fizzled out and became as relevant to Peter as his high school gym coach? I thought of this when one of my friends said "Remember Carlie Cooper?" This thread shall be a memoriam of these characters (we don't need to stick to civilians, villains are fair game too.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Spider-Man is a character that has one of the best supporting civilian casts in all of comicdom. Most superheroes supporting casts are either forgettable, or have to have everyone involved in superheroics in order to remain relevant. When it comes to Peter Parker, he has several characters who were always rather minor and remained there, however there are characters that writers will try to place as the next big thing and a major part of Peter's life...but they don't stand the tablet of...TEST of time. What characters do you remember being introduced to us as someone who will be a major part of Peter's life, but then fizzled out and became as relevant to Peter as his high school gym coach? I thought of this when one of my friends said "Remember Carlie Cooper?" This thread shall be a memoriam of these characters (we don't need to stick to civilians, villains are fair game too.)
    Frederick Foswell comes to mind. A major part of the Lee-Ditko era and he seemed like a cool reporter foil, but then he gets killed to beef up Kingpin in the Spider-Man No More story (ASM#50-52).

Glory Grant was also set up as a cool interesting character in Conway's run and she ended up on the Daily Bugle back benches for a long time. Nathan Lubensky, MJ's first big romance after Ben's death. Then Kristy, Mary Jane's teenage cousin.

In the BND era, the Gonzalez siblings have faded away. As has most of the characters in that run. Norah Winters and Carlie are the longest survivors of the lot.

Extraordinary Member

George and Gwen Stacy’s cousins that became apart of the supporting cast.

Debra Whitman, who started going batcrap crazy while dating Peter.

Sally Avril, who was part of Flash Thompson’s clique. I think she became a hero and died?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

Sally Avril, who was part of Flash Thompson’s clique. I think she became a hero and died?
    I remember Debra from the 90s cartoon.

And yeah, Sally became Bluebird in Untold Tales of Spider-Man #11 in 1996 - and died two issues later! She actually died when a speeding car she was a passenger in hit a bus, not due to being a superhero. Peter blamed himself because he'd told her to quit - she'd have lived if she'd been fighting crime instead of chasing a news story.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Sally_Avril_(Earth-616)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I remember Debra from the 90s cartoon.
    That cartoon made her seem more important than she ever was in comics.

Lance Bannon was a rival photographer to Peter... He was prominent enough that he was a Hobgoblin suspect...but got killed off pretty unceremoniously.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Debra wasn't major even back then, she barely showed up, Peter didn't really care about her much until the end, and before that she just wasn't developed as a love interest.

Anyways, a character I remember is Puma, he showed up a lot in the 80's, then just stopped showing up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Anyways, a character I remember is Puma, he showed up a lot in the 80's, then just stopped showing up.
    He showed up in the new cartoon for like one episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Debra wasn't major even back then, she barely showed up, Peter didn't really care about her much until the end, and before that she just wasn't developed as a love interest.

I think that his last big apperance was in Marvel Divas when he and Felicia broke up.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Double post, but also...

The Kiwi Kid?

I remember the clone saga was full of these characters. Seward Trainer, Jessica Carradine, Fortunado, Jimmy 6....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I remember the clone saga was full of these characters. Seward Trainer, Jessica Carradine, Fortunado, Jimmy 6....
    One of them had to be F.A.C.A.D.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Frederick Foswell comes to mind. A major part of the Lee-Ditko era and he seemed like a cool reporter foil, but then he gets killed to beef up Kingpin in the Spider-Man No More story (ASM#50-52).

Glory Grant was also set up as a cool interesting character in Conway's run and she ended up on the Daily Bugle back benches for a long time. Nathan Lubensky, MJ's first big romance[/B] after Ben's death. Then Kristy, Mary Jane's teenage cousin.

In the BND era, the Gonzalez siblings have faded away. As has most of the characters in that run. Norah Winters and Carlie are the longest survivors of the lot.
    Lubensky and MJ! I know what you meant here but this is pretty funny. It would be sort of like Stewart and Howard's mom on Big Bang Theory. Peter would have freaked out. Heck all of her friends.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-19-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Lubensky and MJ! I know what you meant here but this is pretty funny. It would be sort of like Stewart and Howard's mom on Big Bang Theory. Peter would have freaked out. Heck all of her friends.
    I know, right?! I mean, I totally get that MJ likes a person who isn't wound-up so tight. But this is ridiculous...

Whoa, what is that from? And ... MJ is grinding against that one guy while waving to Peter lol
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.