Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    There’s a glass ceiling when comes to Spider-Man characters and most of these characters just hit it. I never understood why Big Wheel was supposedly so ridiculous in comparison to all of Spider-Man’s other villains.

Nostalgia is a terrifying beast.
    Again, I think it's all in execution. I'm not saying other Spidey Rogues aren't ridiculous, but Big Wheel is...well, big and a giant wheel, so he kind of stands out that way .

I don't think nostalgia had anything to do with the fan response to Judas Traveler.

big wheel is funny
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Because Spider-Man can’t have villains beyond thugs with gifts, sadly.
    What are you talking about?

Doctor Octopus is a mad scientist who once nearly destroyed the world.

Kingpin is the number one mob boss of New York.

The Green Goblin is a rich CEO and scientist.

The Hobgoblin is similar to the above.

The issue with Judas Traveler wasn't that he wasn't simply a "thug with gifts". It's that, as admitted by Glenn Greenberg, no one at Marvel actually knew what the guy's deal was. Not the writers, not the editors. He kept dropping in and out of the Clone Saga with little to no explanation of what he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I always liked Judas Traveler. I thought he was pretty cool right up until the reveal that he was just a glorified Mysterio.
    Judas Traveller will always have a special place in my heart because he was introduced pretty shortly after I first started reading Spider-Man. I liked his original version that JM DeMatteis wrote and I think he may have been much cooler for longer had JMD had full control over him and he wasn’t explained off by other writers later.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The issue with Judas Traveler wasn't that he wasn't simply a "thug with gifts". It's that, as admitted by Glenn Greenberg, no one at Marvel actually knew what the guy's deal was. Not the writers, not the editors. He kept dropping in and out of the Clone Saga with little to no explanation of what he wanted.
    To discover the true nature of evil, of course!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    To discover the true nature of evil, of course!
    Like the Beyonder in Secret Wars . . . or at least, the version of the Beyonder that appeared in Spider-Man TAS's adaptation of Secret Wars.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'd forgotten them already but that whole TriCorps cohort of researchers.. from those who liked Peter to the guy who just hated him on principle, lol.. good riddance.. the sub-plots with them just seemed to meander and ultimately just boil down to an excuse for Peter to get fired publicly and thought of as a goof.. (would of course, happen again and again)...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'd forgotten them already but that whole TriCorps cohort of researchers.. from those who liked Peter to the guy who just hated him on principle, lol.. good riddance.. the sub-plots with them just seemed to meander and ultimately just boil down to an excuse for Peter to get fired publicly and thought of as a goof.. (would of course, happen again and again)...
    The precursor to Horizon Labs who also seem to be going the way of the dodos.

carlie cooper wasn't she like a big love interest, haven't seen her lately.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The reason most new villains disappear is because they suck like Traveller or TypeFace or Facade or Freak, etc. But I always thought it was a shame that Fusion (the Paul Jenkins version, not the dumb conjoined twins O’Neil version) didn’t become a permanent rogues gallery member. His introduction arc when he convinced Spidey he broke his neck is a really underrated story.
    Yeah, I liked Fusion, too... just wish he had a powerset not similar to Mysterios. Be easy to bring him back, though, with his powers.

Spectacular Member

The reason most new villains disappear is because they suck like Traveller or TypeFace or Facade or Freak, etc. But I always thought it was a shame that Fusion (the Paul Jenkins version, not the dumb conjoined twins O’Neil version) didn’t become a permanent rogues gallery member. His introduction arc when he convinced Spidey he broke his neck is a really underrated story.
    One Small Break is, for me, a top 10 Spider-Man story and Fusion needs to be revived ASAP. The follow up Jenkins did was really underwhelming.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yin&Yang View Post
    carlie cooper wasn't she like a big love interest, haven't seen her lately.
    Carlie Cooper was a love interest for a fairly short period. That ended with Spider-Island. Then she got written out of the books at the end of Superior Spider-Man.

And she returned as Mary Jane's friend in Spencer's run. She appeared actually in the Sins' Rising story.

So many... I wouldn’t know where to begin. And from so many different eras. Forced love interests from the BND era ranging from Lilly Hollister to Michelle Gonzales immediately come to mind. Carlie Cooper and Norah Winters have had slightly more shelf-life, but not much. Then there’s characters who disappeared with the end of certain eras like Ben Reilly’s love interests such as Jessica and Desiree. And who can forget (well, I guess everyone can forget) Gwen’s cousin Jill?

However, I think the craziest example of this is a character who was set up to be important and then almost immediately forgotten about. Abby Levine. Check out PPSM #75... the conclusion of ‘Revelations’ and the clone saga. She’s obviously introduced to be a new major character helping out bystanders during the Spidey/Goblin fight. And then she’s immediately discarded (she might have had a very short scene a couple issues later). I’m always reminded of that weird inclusion whenever I re-read ‘Revelations’

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Abby_Levine_(Earth-616)
    Mackie's notorious for dropping plot threads.

A lot of the characters who get dropped were part of a new setting for Peter.

His undergrad friends left the book for a while, and the focus was on were in grad school classmates, the first major supporting characters introduced as major who were then forgotten.

Later, this would repeat the next two times he went to Grad School, as well as new professional settings (Tricorp, Horizon.)

Another group of forgotten characters is replacements for existing characters. Anna Watson was mainly prominent, when Aunt May was believed dead. There's less of a point to her now. Jill Stacy was pretty much an attempt to bring back Gwen. Arthur Stacy was a surrogate Captain Stacy. Paul Stacy was part of the package.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fusion was great.

Freak did pop up recently in Ravencroft. Sometimes you need C-listers, to add flavor to scenes with a lot of bad guys without diminishing the A-listers. He wasn't ever introduced as a major character, though. I doubt Marvel was under the illusions he was the next Carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Anna Watson. Not that she was ever really a major character, but she is severely underutilized.
    The 90s cartoon had a working dynamic with her, where she would disapprove of Peter. This gave her more to do in the stories.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The 90s cartoon had a working dynamic with her, where she would disapprove of Peter. This gave her more to do in the stories.
    And also made her super unlikeable .