Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Lamont was fun, althougth i can't say i miss him, still very considerate of Peter in keeping his word lol.

As for Carlie, i kind of quit on her once Felicia told Peter that he should go for her like...really?, does that sound like something that Felcia would do?. Plus the trying to tatoo a goblin on her to spite Peter, granted she was drunk but it was still weird.
    I can see Felicia doing that. She was written as not wanting to be permanently attached to Peter at the time, so she wouldn't care who he's dating. The only one of Peter's love interests she's ever expressed dislike for was MJ and that's because MJ is the only one, save for Gwen who is dead, who can actually compete with her for Peter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That's it, they might still be living in that apartment, being terrorized by super-heroes while trying to sunbathe .
    Let's leave them and remember them that way. That reminds me the final lines of Jason and the Argonauts where Zeus says:

"For the moment let them enjoy a calm sea, a fresh breeze and each other. The girl is pretty, and I was always sentimental. But for Jason there are other adventures. I have not yet finished with Jason. Let us continue the game another day."

It was referring to the fact that Jason's later adventures and especially his romance with Medea, to put it charitably, didn't go so well compared to the heroism of the early part (which is what Harryhausen's movie covers).

Sometimes it's best for supporting characters to be out of sight.

Today if you brought Bambi, Candi, Randi, they would feel a little dated and the jokes about them wouldn't land so well when we are Post-Sex and the City, or Post-Girls and other stuff. I suppose you might out them as bisexuals and update it, but it wouldn't be the same I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Sable got a book in the 90s, but apparently no one was reading it.
    Silver Sable and the Wild Pack lasted for 32 issues which back then for basically a book about B or C list support character that was pretty good run.

Mighty Member

Were any of the Goblins post Hob supposed to be "the next big villain"? I remember someone mentioning Lily Hollister and thought "Oh yeah...Menace was a thing"

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Were any of the Goblins post Hob supposed to be "the next big villain"? I remember someone mentioning Lily Hollister and thought "Oh yeah...Menace was a thing"
    Well, Macendale as Demogoblin was a thing too.

Anyone remember Green Goblin V?
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Well, maybe not as a villain, but I remember Phillip Urich got his own series as the Green Goblin.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Okay, I got one.

Mrs. Muggins.

Peter Parker's landlady, as long as Pete had that apartment he once rented, from 1975, until 1988.

Memories: Calling Pete a "pervert", after Spidey scared off Candi, Randi, and Bambi off the roof from sunbathing, and mentioning drunken husband "Barney" a few times, yet he never showed up on-page, until the end.
    Good memory. Also, slightly off-topic (but somewhat related), another tenant of landlady Muggins would be Sparrow from Blackwulf (1994):

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-25-2020 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Made Corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Black Tarantula

If DeFalco isn’t here, he more or less doesn’t exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Yes, I'd assume Tom DeFalco, from his runs on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, and SPIDER-GIRL.
    I dunno about that, checking the wiki here, and most of his appearances are from Daredevil, under Brubaker, then Andy Diggle, maybe he's even considered a Daredevil character now lol.

Too bad he isn't used much though, he seemed cool enough from what I remember of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I can see Felicia doing that. She was written as not wanting to be permanently attached to Peter at the time, so she wouldn't care who he's dating. The only one of Peter's love interests she's ever expressed dislike for was MJ and that's because MJ is the only one, save for Gwen who is dead, who can actually compete with her for Peter.
    MJ was also essentially the only one Peter dated that Felicia was around to see, so yeah, she kinda couldn't dislike anyone else lol.

Plus, Felicia actualy sounded excited about Peter dating someone else and even wanted to hear her voice, for someone as petty and jealous as Felicia, that's just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Let's leave them and remember them that way. That reminds me the final lines of Jason and the Argonauts where Zeus says:

"For the moment let them enjoy a calm sea, a fresh breeze and each other. The girl is pretty, and I was always sentimental. But for Jason there are other adventures. I have not yet finished with Jason. Let us continue the game another day."

It was referring to the fact that Jason's later adventures and especially his romance with Medea, to put it charitably, didn't go so well compared to the heroism of the early part (which is what Harryhausen's movie covers).

Today if you brought Bambi, Candi, Randi, they would feel a little dated and the jokes about them wouldn't land so well when we are Post-Sex and the City, or Post-Girls and other stuff. I suppose you might out them as bisexuals and update it, but it wouldn't be the same I think.
    Yeah I think it's fine for them to be in limbo, they were tertiary characters even back when they showed up more, think only one of them got some more character development (Something about taking care of the other two), but that didn't go anywhere, so there wasn't much more to them than a "They're on the rooftop getting in Spidey's way" joke lol.

Also, searching for "Bambi" in the wiki made me learn that Hulk once had a pet deer he called "Bambi" in the Defenders comic, and that apparently some ancient magician switched bodies with it by accident. Comic books. Surprised that they didn't reference this yet lol.

Macendale, with his introduction of beating Spidey and almost killing Flash, was clearly supposed to be the next big villain, but then his next appearance om Web#38 had Arranger not respecting him, with Tombstone just throwing him out of his window, and Spidey beating him while drunk, after that, as far as I've seen, he actually was alright at fighting Spidey, but wasn't respected for whatever reason, then Demogoblin happened and I guess that's when we're supposed to think "Yes, he sucked so much he had to get demonic powers", even though, again, he was alright.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Sex And The City. Maybe my all-time most hated TV show ( I had the hots for Kim Cantrell so I tried it twice). You are correct about supporting characters being best hidden away. That is especially true if they are obese and stupid like an old character actor named Andy Devine. This guy almost single handedly ruins movies. He did a movie called Two Rode Together with James Stewart and Linda Cristel ( the 1950’s answer to Salma Hayak), and you need to zap through his scenes to watch the film.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 11-26-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I dunno about that, checking the wiki here, and most of his appearances are from Daredevil, under Brubaker, then Andy Diggle, maybe he's even considered a Daredevil character now lol.

Too bad he isn't used much though, he seemed cool enough from what I remember of him.
    The guy was clearly introduced to be a major antagonist for Spider-Man by DeFalco. After his run was abruptly cut short he fell into limbo. No one cared to continue his storyline.

DeFalco then continued his use in Spider-Girl, but this time it was his son Carlos LaMuerto the one donning the identity. In it he goes more into the backstory of the character and of the Black Tarantula identity.

Meanwhile on 616, after been in limbo for a while, Brubaker brought him back for Daredevil.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    The guy was clearly introduced to be a major antagonist for Spider-Man by DeFalco. After his run was abruptly cut short he fell into limbo. No one cared to continue his storyline.

DeFalco then continued his use in Spider-Girl, but this time it was his son Carlos LaMuerto the one donning the identity. In it he goes more into the backstory of the character and of the Black Tarantula identity.

Meanwhile on 616, after been in limbo for a while, Brubaker brought him back for Daredevil.
    Good point, although I thought Fabian was the name of Black Tarantula's son and MC2 successor.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Good point, although I thought Fabian was the name of Black Tarantula's son and MC2 successor.
    You’re right. The son’s name is Fabian. Carlos is the father.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You’re right. The son’s name is Fabian. Carlos is the father.
    You're indeed correct, got the names crossed :S

Yeah he really made Spidey his bitch both times they fought, can only wonder how it was planned for Spidey to take down that...

Clearly it wouldn't be by trying to outpunch him, Black Tarantula outclassed him in strength and speed.

I'm aware, I think I may even have seen Black Tarantula in Spider-Girl first.

Yeah, I checked out his appearances in those comics since he was cool in ASM, and they might as well have created a new character instead of using him in Daredevil, in ASM he was a polite guy, brutal when he decided to fight, with a code of honor, and friendly enough to make some banter, and even admire his opponents (As he did with Spidey and to some extent, Delilah), and he got all of these personality traits in like, 5 issues when he actually started to do stuff instead of just being an ominous threat, but when he returned in Daredevil he was black washed for whatever reason, was apparently imprisoned off-screen somehow, and worst of all, lost any semblance of his ASM personality to become some generic gangsta in the first issues, and then he became an ex-gangsta anti-hero, which while fine enough as character development, it's really, really not as interesting as he used to be in ASM...

You're indeed correct, got the names crossed :S
    Can't blame ya for mixing them up, ASM's Carlos and Spider-Girl's Fabian have essentially the same personality, with maybe Fabian being a bit nicer, wonder if that's DeFalco not bothering to separate them, or that the Black Tarantula training forces the Black Tarantulas to have the same personality so it always looks like the same guy, since they pretend to be immortal and all.