Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    6

    Default Post One More Day Guide

    Hi, I would like to know what stories post-One More Day are essential to understand the canon of 616 Peter between the marriage (that no longer exists) and that event. I stop reading the comics after that, and returned only in Superior Spider-Man, and some things are still confusing to me, I don't know what happened and what don't in the past (I heard that the spell that made everyone forgot spiderman identity was made by Dr. Strange, not Mephisto). I know marvel released some stories/arcs that kind of explained that mess canon during all this time, but I don't know what they're, and if you users could list these issues I would be grateful.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
    Hi, I would like to know what stories post-One More Day are essential to understand the canon of 616 Peter between the marriage (that no longer exists) and that event. I stop reading the comics after that, and returned only in Superior Spider-Man, and some things are still confusing to me, I don't know what happened and what don't in the past (I heard that the spell that made everyone forgot spiderman identity was made by Dr. Strange, not Mephisto). I know marvel released some stories/arcs that kind of explained that mess canon during all this time, but I don't know what they're, and if you users could list these issues I would be grateful.
    All of it. There was next to no filler in that series.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member Vortex85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    I couldn't stomache to read most of that era. I did read One Moment In Time which sucked. I read bits and peices, and have looked through all of it but most of it was anti-Spidey to me so it was not fun. You may look at issue 600 perhaps.

    If you start with Big Time you shouldnt miss much. Wiki descriptions for specific characters should suffice. In my opinion issues 546-647 are the most worthless era in Spider-Man history with the least meaningful development or stories for the character.

    Don't get me wrong, I've looked at every page of that era, I've started most issues but couldn't finish a lot of them, so I am familliar enough to have an opinion.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 11-19-2020 at 03:59 PM.

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member Spidey_62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    471

    Default

    The post-OMD run from #546-647 is overall a mixed bag I think partially due to the fact that it was a big rotating cast of creators story to story by design. I don't think a lot of that era has really had any lasting impact on the franchise (aside from the lingering stink of OMD and being associated with following it/ignoring it). Maybe Mr. Negative is the biggest contribution from that era, he's showing up in Spencer's run currently and in the future in February, along with a high profile appearance in the 2018 Spider-Man video game and smaller cartoon appearances as well. Can't really say that about any of the other BND villain creations or many other concepts from that era. Anti-Venom didn't last very long, he appeared in a video game at the time it was Eddie's then-current status quo, and the character made it to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon with a changed backstory. The American Son Harry Osborn armor suit made it to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. Mr. Negative still stands as the big one that sticks, both in comics and other media.

    I liked all the issues Marcos Martin illustrated in the BND era, the series had a lot of good rotating art talent during the time for sure at least.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    The post-OMD run from #546-647 is overall a mixed bag I think partially due to the fact that it was a big rotating cast of creators story to story by design. I don't think a lot of that era has really had any lasting impact on the franchise (aside from the lingering stink of OMD and being associated with following it/ignoring it). Maybe Mr. Negative is the biggest contribution from that era, he's showing up in Spencer's run currently and in the future in February, along with a high profile appearance in the 2018 Spider-Man video game and smaller cartoon appearances as well. Can't really say that about any of the other BND villain creations or many other concepts from that era. Anti-Venom didn't last very long, he appeared in a video game at the time it was Eddie's then-current status quo, and the character made it to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon with a changed backstory. The American Son Harry Osborn armor suit made it to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. Mr. Negative still stands as the big one that sticks, both in comics and other media.

    I liked all the issues Marcos Martin illustrated in the BND era, the series had a lot of good rotating art talent during the time for sure at least.
    I think the biggest impact we had in BND outside of the introduction of some characters like Mr. Negative, is Kraven's return, even that didn't matter much in ASM since Slott refused to use him, and now Spencer killed him off, only to be replaced by an identical clone, meh lol.

    But yeah, until Big Time, not much happened, Slott himself removed a lot of the changes he made at the end of his run too, and then Spencer removed some of the things Slott left behind lol.

    Thinking of it, the post OMD era affected people around Spidey more than Spidey himself, Cassandra (Madame Web) and Mattie were killed, Julia became the new Madame Web, Anya got Julia's costume, most of Kraven's replacements were killed off, Kraven himself came back, Kaine started his character development to stop being a douchebag, which Spider-Island showed that he definitely is a good guy now, Jackal came back, Otto stole Peter's body, died, but the backup of his memories stayed around and he became an anti-hero in a cloned body for 5 minutes, Ben came back as a villain, then anti-hero, now apparently he's back to normal, Harry magically resurrected, Flash became Venom and now he's dead... And whatever the hell else, a lot of stuff around Peter changed basically, he had his changes too with Horizon Labs and later Parker Industries though, but those were temporary.

    Spencer's run so far is making some shit go pre-OMD era, like making Felicia know Spidey's secret identity again and making her stop being Queenpin, and killing off Kraven (While conveniently replacing him with an identical clone, meh).

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
    Hi, I would like to know what stories post-One More Day are essential to understand the canon of 616 Peter between the marriage (that no longer exists) and that event. I stop reading the comics after that, and returned only in Superior Spider-Man, and some things are still confusing to me, I don't know what happened and what don't in the past (I heard that the spell that made everyone forgot spiderman identity was made by Dr. Strange, not Mephisto). I know marvel released some stories/arcs that kind of explained that mess canon during all this time, but I don't know what they're, and if you users could list these issues I would be grateful.
    To answer your question as simply as possible.

    -- If you have read Spider-Man comics until OMD, you can essentially pick up any issue after OMD and start from there and miss out on nothing. There isn't anything lasting, of consequence, of impact in Spider-Man since OMD. Whatever new unfamiliar thing you come across will be reversed or overturned in short order in the BND and Slott era with little changed.

    -- If you want to know specifically what the new continuity is like, then One Moment in Time explains that...I don't recommend reading it because it's even worse than OMD, but it's intent was to fill the blanks.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    8,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I think the biggest impact we had in BND outside of the introduction of some characters like Mr. Negative, is Kraven's return, even that didn't matter much in ASM since Slott refused to use him, and now Spencer killed him off, only to be replaced by an identical clone, meh lol.

    But yeah, until Big Time, not much happened, Slott himself removed a lot of the changes he made at the end of his run too, and then Spencer removed some of the things Slott left behind lol.

    Thinking of it, the post OMD era affected people around Spidey more than Spidey himself, Cassandra (Madame Web) and Mattie were killed, Julia became the new Madame Web, Anya got Julia's costume, most of Kraven's replacements were killed off, Kraven himself came back, Kaine started his character development to stop being a douchebag, which Spider-Island showed that he definitely is a good guy now, Jackal came back, Otto stole Peter's body, died, but the backup of his memories stayed around and he became an anti-hero in a cloned body for 5 minutes, Ben came back as a villain, then anti-hero, now apparently he's back to normal, Harry magically resurrected, Flash became Venom and now he's dead... And whatever the hell else, a lot of stuff around Peter changed basically, he had his changes too with Horizon Labs and later Parker Industries though, but those were temporary.

    Spencer's run so far is making some shit go pre-OMD era, like making Felicia know Spidey's secret identity again and making her stop being Queenpin, and killing off Kraven (While conveniently replacing him with an identical clone, meh).
    Kaine actually started his redemption back in the 90s in a mini that was literally called redemption lol, he even turn himself in agreeing to be tried for his crimes. I assumed that it was ignored thougth, because nobody references that during his return.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

    "I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Kaine actually started his redemption back in the 90s in a mini that was literally called redemption lol, he even turn himself in agreeing to be tried for his crimes. I assumed that it was ignored thougth, because nobody references that during his return.
    Huh, wasn't aware, thought he just stopped showing up during Clone Saga, then randomly returned a few times until Grim Hunt made him become less of a douche.

    Apparently he was supposed to return around ASM$434, since he showed up in shadows during it, and ASM#435, so either during Identity Crisis, or after it, but that was dropped.

    Checking out the mini, and I already found the best line:



    (Spider-Man: Redemption#1)

    I'm checking out his appearances here, and while his return in ASM#608 and afterwards doesn't talk about him being in jail, the second volume of Web of Spider-Man#1 does show bits of his time there, that he let himself be arrested to try to have redemption, and while it ended by saying he'd show up from ASM#608 to #610, but he doesn't explain there, or in ASM, why he hates Peter/Ben again, so yeah, Redemption is mostly ignored, which sucks, would be nice if it lined up with his character development from Grim Hunt.

    Also a funny plot hole, in Web#1 he somehow knows that Peter is the original:

    https://i.imgur.com/eKbRnKF.jpg

    But in ASM#610, he says that Peter is Ben's clone:

    https://i.imgur.com/h3QFF5r.jpg

    It's actually funny, since DeMateis is the one who wrote Redemption and Kaine's story in Web, and he missed this detail since Kaine shouldn't suddenly know that Ben was a clone (Since he thought Ben was the original back in Redemption), and that ASM arc is the correct one about this... But then again, since the Web story is only from his point of view, it'd be confusing for a reader to have Kaine saying that Peter was a clone, so this is one of those times a plot hole was a good thing lol.

    But yeah, outside of that Web story, his time in jail is ignore, and he suddenly hated Peter/Ben again.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    8,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Huh, wasn't aware, thought he just stopped showing up during Clone Saga, then randomly returned a few times until Grim Hunt made him become less of a douche.

    Apparently he was supposed to return around ASM$434, since he showed up in shadows during it, and ASM#435, so either during Identity Crisis, or after it, but that was dropped.

    Checking out the mini, and I already found the best line:



    (Spider-Man: Redemption#1)

    I'm checking out his appearances here, and while his return in ASM#608 and afterwards doesn't talk about him being in jail, the second volume of Web of Spider-Man#1 does show bits of his time there, that he let himself be arrested to try to have redemption, and while it ended by saying he'd show up from ASM#608 to #610, but he doesn't explain there, or in ASM, why he hates Peter/Ben again, so yeah, Redemption is mostly ignored, which sucks, would be nice if it lined up with his character development from Grim Hunt.

    Also a funny plot hole, in Web#1 he somehow knows that Peter is the original:

    https://i.imgur.com/eKbRnKF.jpg

    But in ASM#610, he says that Peter is Ben's clone:

    https://i.imgur.com/h3QFF5r.jpg

    It's actually funny, since DeMateis is the one who wrote Redemption and Kaine's story in Web, and he missed this detail since Kaine shouldn't suddenly know that Ben was a clone (Since he thought Ben was the original back in Redemption), and that ASM arc is the correct one about this... But then again, since the Web story is only from his point of view, it'd be confusing for a reader to have Kaine saying that Peter was a clone, so this is one of those times a plot hole was a good thing lol.

    But yeah, outside of that Web story, his time in jail is ignore, and he suddenly hated Peter/Ben again.
    You can see that Kaine is indeed is redeamable with that scene, even him is not willing to make us remember what happened in Maximum Clonage .

    I recently read all the Clone Saga/Ben Reilly Epic trades, so my memory of it is pretty fresh (word of advice most of the Unlimited issues, Team Ups and that Punisher mini are really awfull). After coming back to life, he was captured for a group of rich douches that were playing some sort of Mortal Kombat game around the world (really most of the stuff with then is pretty bad) because they had nothing better to do, Kaine didn't want to anything with then so he bails on the with the help of an assasin working for then (i forgot her name, but she dissapears afterwards) and after a fight with Ben he dissapears for a while until he comes back in redemption, so he does kind of dissapear from the montly tittles. Didn't know about those cameos thougth or the Web of Spider-Man story, but yeah is very likely that they were planning before that whole Gathering of the Five/Final Chapter idiocy.

    Is a pitty that not even DeMatteis tried to make sense of his change of characther, because i really did like that mini.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

    "I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    You can see that Kaine is indeed is redeamable with that scene, even him is not willing to make us remember what happened in Maximum Clonage .
    I'll never get over how 90's were so bad for Spidey that "Maximum Clonage" was used non-ironically.

    I recently read all the Clone Saga/Ben Reilly Epic trades, so my memory of it is pretty fresh (word of advice most of the Unlimited issues, Team Ups and that Punisher mini are really awfull). After coming back to life, he was captured for a group of rich douches that were playing some sort of Mortal Kombat game around the world (really most of the stuff with then is pretty bad) because they had nothing better to do
    That sounds like the plot fighting games had back then, maybe the writers were bored and played some fighting games for inspiration to keep Clone Saga going for longer lol.

    Kaine didn't want to anything with then so he bails on the with the help of an assasin working for then (i forgot her name, but she dissapears afterwards) and after a fight with Ben he dissapears for a while until he comes back in redemption, so he does kind of dissapear from the montly tittles. Didn't know about those cameos thougth or the Web of Spider-Man story, but yeah is very likely that they were planning before that whole Gathering of the Five/Final Chapter idiocy.
    I think he was going to be part of Gathering of the Five/Final Chapter shit, 'cause in #434, he calls Robbie and asks about Norman's yatch, when he arrives there, that Scrier group had bombed it, then in #435, he attacks them while saying "I happen to be a loose end myself-- And it is my fervent desire to eliminate him!", so it sounds like he was gonna hunt Norman, and that could work into Gathering of Five/Final Chapter.

    Is a pitty that not even DeMatteis tried to make sense of his change of characther, because i really did like that mini.
    The thing is that, the Web story about Kaine has this:

    https://i.imgur.com/DvTZMd6.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/3qRxXZB.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/hF1CZm0.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/DTM1I9A.png

    Which is to "explain" why Kaine is attacking Peter when he comes back in ASM#608, and while this story explains why he doesn't want to die anymore, since it's possible he still wanted to die even in the end of Redemption, and it's even the reason he's around for ASM#608~#610, since that Ryder guy promissed to solve his clone degeneration, the Web story doesn't explain why he's pissed at Peter still, 'cause for most of it, he was hallucinating about Ben, Jackal, Peter, and even himself, but Ben's and Peter's, specially Peter's, are the ones that made him desire to live, so despite that, he's still pissed with Peter at the end of it? There's not even an excuse like him being so used to hate, that hating Peter/Ben is the only way of living he knows which is why he's still a douche, the Web story just ends with him promissing to do "terrible surprises" for no fucking reason, so yeah, DeMateis definitely half assed that lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-19-2020 at 11:11 PM.

  11. #11
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    To answer your question as simply as possible.

    -- If you have read Spider-Man comics until OMD, you can essentially pick up any issue after OMD and start from there and miss out on nothing. There isn't anything lasting, of consequence, of impact in Spider-Man since OMD. Whatever new unfamiliar thing you come across will be reversed or overturned in short order in the BND and Slott era with little changed.

    -- If you want to know specifically what the new continuity is like, then One Moment in Time explains that...I don't recommend reading it because it's even worse than OMD, but it's was to fintentill the blanks.
    It's mostly the second option, yeah... Since the final scene of OMD showed that Harry is back out of nothing, and new characters popped up from nowhere, like Carlie Cooper or Lily Holister, I thought that the writers would come up with an explanation for that, like, creating stories that replaced the past continuity, i.e showing what moment these characters appeared in the new past canon, or something like that. And since the marriage doesn't happened, I was wondering what the past of Peter and MJ was like since that moment, after all.

    I'll read (or try to read, depending on how the story goes) One Moment in Time, then, thanks. My intention is really what you said, to fill in the blanks. I tried to read some few stories of the era between OMD and Superior, and I don't like too much of the style of them. I really just want to know the most important stories to understand what still conts on Peter’s past. Thank you all for the answers!

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
    And since the marriage doesn't happened, I was wondering what the past of Peter and MJ was like since that moment, after all.
    Per Quesada and others, every story that happened in the marriage era happened but they were living together as a couple in a long-term relationship. That's what they are running with.

    It doesn't make sense if you think about it because how important the marriage was to the characters and how people treated them in that time but that's the explanation they are running with.

    I'll read (or try to read, depending on how the story goes) One Moment in Time, then, thanks.
    Lend it out of the library if need be. I don't recommend spooling out money for that trash. I am being serious, it's a truly bad comic.

    Thank you all for the answers!
    You are welcome.

  13. #13
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,660

    Default

    So the only pre-OMD story that has been altered is the one where Peter and MJ get married. In the revised story, Spider-Man is traveling through the city, but a red pigeon controlled by future Mephisto releases a cheap thug from police custody and that thug later tosses a brick like 40 feet in the air and knocks Spider-man out. So Peter never makes it to the wedding.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  14. #14
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    So the only pre-OMD story that has been altered is the one where Peter and MJ get married. In the revised story, Spider-Man is traveling through the city, but a red pigeon controlled by future Mephisto releases a cheap thug from police custody and that thug later tosses a brick like 40 feet in the air and knocks Spider-man out. So Peter never makes it to the wedding.
    And every story since has occurred in Peter’s head while he lays unconscious.

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    So the only pre-OMD story that has been altered is the one where Peter and MJ get married. In the revised story, Spider-Man is traveling through the city, but a red pigeon controlled by future Mephisto releases a cheap thug from police custody and that thug later tosses a brick like 40 feet in the air and knocks Spider-man out. So Peter never makes it to the wedding.
    God that brick in OMIT...it made me think of this:

    Killer Croc Rock.jpg

    You know my big fear when they undid the marriage is "what if the stories that undid the marriage end up being better in quality than the original Wedding Annual?" Because the Wedding Annual is a good comic, and an excellent one but it's got flaws and has a weak reputation.

    But Quesada made that look like Watchmen by comparison. OMIT is s--t bad. And the fact that the entire Spider-Man continuity rests on two wretched comics like OMD and OMIT ensures that it will never have true legitimacy and value.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •