Mighty Member

Default BAD Convention/Signing experiences?

Went to a con in Melbourne, Australia in 1999. They had Grant Morrison and Warren Ellis discussing comics, crazy experiences and obscure counter culture figures. They were often interrupted by loud overhead announcements including one that the two were holding a panel. "Wer'e trying to!" they shouted. The con wasn't very well run and it was a few years before we had another..

A couple of years ago I paid to see Paul Dini give a talk at a film centre theatre. Despite paying the theatre management (not Dini) said you still needed to buy something from the gift shop to get a signing. Many people weren't informed of this till the last minute. I bought the cheapest postcard I could find and joined the line...

and YOU?

Oh plenty. I stopped going to cons several years ago due to just finding the whole experience one I didn't enjoy.

Mighty Member

Thanks. Hate it when the organisers slip up on the con websites, forgetting to mention that certain artists are doing PAID signings

Went to a anime-con that was sabotaged by a fart-bomb toy that was placed in the air vents! The con was evacuated and they never had the con at the venue again.

A friend (not me, although I was with him at the con) was very interested in what an artist meant by saying he had gotten non-comics work. My friend was an artist who was planning an art career, but was prepared for not being a comic artist. The artist was reticent to discuss it when asked that, though. In retrospect, my friend thinks asking while they were at adjoining urinals wasn't the best time to ask.