Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default Preview: Doctor Doom #9

The preview is up for Doctor Doom #9 and Hey! Steve the Newsman is back

I like how Steve Rogers and Reed respect what Victor is doing and trust Victors help. We have seen Reed in Secret Wars #9 admit Victor saved the multiverse. We have seen Rogers in conversation of respect with Victor from other sources. Having Steve and Reed discuss Victor being the saviour again, is very complimentary.

However, I don’t understand what is meant by “refused any help citing the immense danger of the operation”. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I like how Steve Rogers and Reed respect what Victor is doing and trust Victors help. We have seen Reed in Secret Wars #9 admit Victor saved the multiverse. We have seen Rogers in conversation of respect with Victor from other sources. Having Steve and Reed discuss Victor being the saviour again, is very complimentary.

However, I don’t understand what is meant by “refused any help citing the immense danger of the operation”. Am I missing something?
    No, not really. IMO Reed is thinking it's just Victor doing a little build up since he did book an hour's worth of air time time on all the TV networks. But I think one thing that is not coming across is the consequences of Doom failing. Probably the black hole will wipe out the universe.

Fantastic Member

"I actually feel safe knowing it's HIM up there."

Whoa. We know that Reed respects Doom's intellect, but I did not expect to hear so blatant a compliment and emotional reaction, from Reed.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    "I actually feel safe knowing it's HIM up there."

Whoa. We know that Reed respects Doom's intellect, but I did not expect to hear so blatant a compliment and emotional reaction, from Reed.
    I have to be honest, this sounds more and more like Doom wrote those speech bubbles.

I mean the series starts off with Reed saying that Blue Marvel is intellectually on par with Doom, if not his superior -- which as developments in this series have shown is clearly NOT the case according to the writer. Now Reed feels perfectly safe that Doom is tackling the issue (doesn't mention Dr. Brashear at all) and casually strolls off with Cap like they were talking about Victor being able to putt safely out of a sand trap on a kiddie golf course or something. I know Reed respects Doom's intellect, but he's laying it on a little thick there.

Yeah, can't wait to read this issue. Should make for great reading before I sit down for Thanksgiving supper and my last meal.

whoa! that sounds ominous!

I have to admit that Cap and Reed not bringing up Dr Brashear is odd but this is only the first few pages. Chances are he made it back from his mission and he will also appear either here or in the next issue. Sometimes one can read a preview, make a few assumptions and then be completely wrong.

What I do find disappointing is that this ending is already feeling rushed. This was originally announced as an ongoing series and now we know that #10 will be the last issue. There should have been at least 12 issues but I notice these days a TPB contains 5 issues these days instead of 6.

It's not clear to me why it is ending since the sales were doing OK. Not spectacular but then I don't think that was Marvel's priority. The last issue before the pandemic struck outsold Fantastic Four and was ranked around #55 it the top 100. It is what Tom B. might call a prestige sort of project since the writer was the showrunner of an acclaimed series. But I don't think Marvel and those involved are going to be upfront about why it is coming to an end. Cantwell is working on Iron Man and trying to get an TV adaption of Paper Girls off the ground so maybe he had too much on his plate and begged off the title.

Looking good (as usual for a modern Doom book, they've been great quality as of late), I'll pick up this one for sure.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    whoa! that sounds ominous!
    I'm cooking the Thanksgiving turkey this year. To those who have experienced my cooking, that line isn't so ominous. 40/60 chance the bird comes out just right.

It's not clear to me why it is ending since the sales were doing OK.
    I imagine when the down economy hit, the execs immediately decided to contract, irrespective of sale figures, to the main franchise books and event books as topmost priority. Villain books don't usually stick around very long, no matter how popular, so it may have just come down to them deciding to shut down the series early, since Victor will be appearing anyway in the FF, Avengers, and other projects. Perhaps they think having his fans bolster the sales of those other titles serves the greater good?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm cooking the Thanksgiving turkey this year. To those who have experienced my cooking, that line isn't so ominous. 40/60 chance the bird comes out just right.

I imagine when the down economy hit, the execs immediately decided to contract, irrespective of sale figures, to the main franchise books and event books as topmost priority. Villain books don't usually stick around very long, no matter how popular, so it may have just come down to them deciding to shut down the series early, since Victor will be appearing anyway in the FF, Avengers, and other projects. Perhaps they think having his fans bolster the sales of those other titles serves the greater good?
    Yeah, I guess that could be the strategy. I was hoping it would run for a couple of years but c'est la vie. The only trouble is I go back to experiencing the same thing you Blue Marvel fans go though, writers who may or may not "get" the character. It will be a crap shoot again.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-20-2020 at 10:13 PM.

The only trouble is I go back to experiencing the same thing you Blue Marvel fans go though, writers who may or may not "get" the character. I will be a crap shoot again.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Victor's popularity is as high as it's ever been. Many still view him as Marvel's #1 villain, so there will be plenty of opportunities for someone to get it right. In fact, someone might come along who completely blows Doom fans away.

Blue Marvel, on the other hand, is likely headed to permanent limbo after his time in the Doom series ends. That he was even in the series to begin with was a surprise. Marvel didn't exactly promote it. That he doesn't appear on ANY of the Doom series covers tells you all that you need to know. Even Howard the Duck gets either a cover depiction, or a cover window box whenever he appears in a comic. Howard the (bleep)ing Duck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, not really. IMO Reed is thinking it's just Victor doing a little build up since he did book an hour's worth of air time time on all the TV networks. But I think one thing that is not coming across is the consequences of Doom failing. Probably the black hole will wipe out the universe.
    The concern in Reed and Steve’s conversation is what struck me. When do these two ever get together. This is big time crisis, when the heads of the Avengers and FF have a pale’. I can’t recall Steve Rogers and Reed having a conversation after Civil War, which is understandable considering those two were on opposite sides. I think Steve got badly injured by Reed’s Clor robot in CW.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

I was thinking the same thing. How much more stories are there about Victor after this? The MU is about heroes stories. How can Marvel justify doing Victor von Doom stories, of someone who mostly disappears into the background?

Mind you, Bendis’ Infamous Iron Man series had a lot of legs. There is a niche opportunity for a reformed supervillain on Victors level. Look at how far Kingpin has gone recently? And Osborn has become a little more respectable at Ravencroft.

My own thoughts on a Viilain Truce start to become more and more possible when something like Dark Reign had appeared, and, the MU becomes greyer and greyer. With the Champions determining it’s better to become Outlaws rather than subscribe to the established older superhero vigilantism, you get the impression that good and evil seems to have lost a lot of its gravitas. I could see the superheroes and supervillains being put into the same category according to the general public in the MU, so a Doctor Doom ongoing, (especially after Reeds glowing comments on Doom) may not be so far fetched after all.
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-20-2020 at 06:37 PM.

Fantastic Member

Sounds good, have fun.

I have to admit that Cap and Reed not bringing up Dr Brashear is odd but this is only the first few pages. Chances are he made it back from his mission and he will also appear either here or in the next issue. Sometimes one can read a preview, make a few assumptions and then be completely wrong.
    Believe me, I truly wish my lack of optimism was the result of being wrong on so many occasions. But the reality is my viewpoint is the result of decades of Marvel rewarding my hopes with their cynicism. (Funny, but that almost sounds like something Doom would say vis-à-vis Reed. ) Blue Marvel is mentioned in one passing reference. He will play a role in the final issue, but I'll have to wait and see to what extent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 11-25-2020 at 07:33 AM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

BANNED

This issue is awesome and hilarious. There are five panels in it, that no spoiler distill Doom's tragedy and character to a T and it's just...*chefs kiss*

Last issue with the compressed mashing up of many issues worth of plot was a disappointment, but this issue redeems that somewhat.