Mighty Member

Default so who's going to watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles...

during their Thanksgiving vacations/staycations? I certainly am. A comedy classic and one of my favorites. Steve Martin and John Candy are great together, funny and heartwarming all at the same time. I was reading on the IMDB trivia page that John Hughes's first choices were Tom Hanks and John Travolta. Hanks was unavailable at the time because of filming big and Travolta was considered box office poison at the time, his last hit being Urban Cowboy. I can see Hanks as Neal Page, that would have been a good choice. Travolta....would have been an odd choice for Del, but I think he could have pulled it off. Candy and Martin though were the right choices in the end...

One of the few classic Thanksgiving movies.

I am going to watch this! Has to be by far one of the best comedies that has held up really well. I love the scene with Steve and the car rental lady. I wont go into it here because of all the F Bombs. But man I used to quote that line when I was a kid and that movie was talked about by my dad. My mom was horrified and was like "Hey mister you are 10 years old!"
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Doesn't Uncle Buck take place at Thanksgiving time? If not, I'm still going to consider it a movie to watch this holiday break. Heck, all of the John Candy movies!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

I watched this movie last year around this time. For some reason, I'd never seen it before, even though I was well aware of it. And it's a pretty great John Hughes movie.

But as a Canadian, I find the American version of Thanksgiving confusing. And having the Canadian John Candy in this movie makes it all the more bewildering. The part of the U.S. they are in is just similar enough to Canada and Candy is only holding back a little of his natural Canadian personality.

It feels like the U.S. Thanksgiving was a generic holiday selected by a Hollywood movie producer who wanted something like Christmas but without the Christmas. I can't understand why it's so important for everybody to spend so much time and money to fly to their family home for this holiday, when they're going to do the exact same thing a month later.

In Canada, the federal holiday is on the second Monday in October--but most families I know celebrate Thanksgiving on the Sunday before (I think that's when it was traditionally celebrated). And while many families do get together and eat pretty much the same meal as the Americans (there might even be a Canadian football game on the T.V.), it doesn't seem like the super-important occasion that we see the Americans observing in the T.V. shows and movies.

I'd like to see someone do a movie about an American coming to Canada and celebrating Thanksgiving in October with a Canadian family.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Doesn't Uncle Buck take place at Thanksgiving time? If not, I'm still going to consider it a movie to watch this holiday break. Heck, all of the John Candy movies!
    I don't remember Uncle Back being set around a holiday, maybe because it takes place in Chicago and everyone in the movie was buttoned up due to the cold weather and that's why it just seems seasonal?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Unfortunately, I've never been able to tolerate John Candy's character in that movie, so all of the funny disappears.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier