Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I would say Ralph Dibney, but it's more based on rep and the purpose of his character more than any proof from cases he's solved in canon. I love the Question, but he has been shown to focus on more existential matters or complicated conspiracies rather than actually getting down to solving crimes. The shame is that Bendis's Leviathan event brought together all the top tier detectives only to have them bickering in Batman's kitchen and not actually solving anything.

Lois Lane also deserves consideration in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Ok, so what are some actual examples of Dibny solving mysteries and detecting that would make him runner up to Batman?
    52? Those back-up stories where he and Sue were solving crimes?

Mighty Member

Ok, so what are some actual examples of Dibny solving mysteries and detecting that would make him runner up to Batman?
    Hmmm, I don't have specific examples, but this blog article shares some good insight.

https://ralphdibnytheworld-famouselo...detective.html

Dibny is often cited as being brilliant because of his exceptional deductive reasoning skills, and he's a chemist to boot, so you know he is smart.

As a journalist, I imagine the Question is more driven by inquiry, so he obviously had good deductive skills to, but his logic often breaks down when he begins to contemplate conspiracies, so I am going to go with Ralph.

That being said I find the Question a far more fun and interesting character than Enlongated Man, who meh... I view as a bit of a Plastic Man knock off.

Bobo. He's even better than the grumpy old Bat.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Ralph Dibny then Detective Chimp (it's there in the name!) with Martian Manhunter taking third.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Chase, Ralph Dibney, Detective Chimp, Tim, and the Body Doubles spring to mind.

How could I forget Ted Kord!! COUNTDOWN really highlighted his assets in that arena.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

The Question but I'll throw Lois Lane in there too
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Boisterously Confused

Well, let's see. His whole origin story is about busting a mystery. Then he had a whole "Nick'n'Nora" backup feature with Sue based on it. Also, how he was on top of the whole thing in 52 is evidence.

Still, considering your nomination of Lois Lane, I am willing to retract my "no probably to it" comment.

I think he was in the Detective Comics backup stories for a few years, one of his few ongoings.

Detective Chimp
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    The Question but I'll throw Lois Lane in there too
    You know what, she absolutely belongs there!!!!! Unearthing the truth is her bread and butter!

Retired

After Jack Schiff left the Batman books (in early 1964)--he took Martian Manhunter with him to HOUSE OF MYSTERY--and Julie Schwartz took over, bringing Ralph with him from THE FLASH--making the Elongated Man the back-up feature in DETECTIVE COMICS. While Ralph showed some detective skills in THE FLASH, it was really in 'TEC where his abilities came to the forefront. It seems to me that John Jones had it pretty easy as a detective, since he just used his Martian powers to solve the crime, it didn't really take any detecting skill. Whereas, Ralph would follow the clues to figure out the answer to the case.

John Broome had created Ralph with Carmine Infantino and he continued to write many of the stories in 'TEC, but it was Gardner Fox who wrote the majority. Ralph's deal was that his nose would start to twitch when something struck him as not quite right and he was compelled to figure out the answer. In the world of super-heroes, I feel that Ralph's stories were much more down to earth as most of the perps he pursued were regular human beings.

Batman would team up with Ralph often and he always said that the Elongated Man was one of the best detectives. Ralph and Sue were world travellers, solving crimes wherever they went, and in France he was celebrated as l'Homme Étendu, respected by the police and considered the greatest detective.

After Elongated Man lost his regular spot in DETECTIVE (1964 -1968), he turned up frequently in THE FLASH and again in DETECTIVE thereafter. Len Wein would often write his cases--and it was Wein who made him a regular member of the Justice League of America (he'd already been an honourary member). Mike W. Barr is another writer who had a particular affinity for the Ductile Detective.

Ralph and Sue had been an important part of the Detroit League and they returned to greatness in JUSTICE LEAGUE EUROPE--perhaps because they had spent so much time on the continent.

Later, they moved to Opal City, in the James Robinson STARMAN run--Ralph was anxious to work along side that city's famous detective, Hamilton Drew, one of his personal heroes.

DC has no shortage of detectives. GCPD is full of good ones. And Martian Manhunter is another we should add

My pick would be Detective Chimp, Martian Manhunter, and Ralph Dibny. Dibny is mainly on reputation tho.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

All members of the Croatoan Society