Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Okay, I'll ask the dumb question: what about cartoons? (Where do they fit in this distribution model?)

I remember my first comic: my father bought me an issue of Batman...and the villainess was Catwoman. The only reason I knew who those characters were was because I had watched Filmations' Batman cartoons.

Let's not underestimate how important these cartoons are. I'm sure many of us old timers were first introduced to superheroes on Saturday morning. I'm also sure the Superfriends cartoons were in more homes than the Justice League comics were. Teen Titans Go has entertained children for over 7 years now.

So where are the cartoons that reach young children?

I know the new Batwheels cartoon is aimed for young audiences and I think that is fantastic. But...where is it going to be shown?

If DC wants to reach a new audience, they have to start young and go where they are watching.

Just my thoughts.
    There's tons of stuff out there already that kids adore. There are hours and hours of Justice League Action, DC Super Hero Girls, Brave & Bold and Teen Titans Go! in addition to all those quick DC Nation shorts that rack up millions of views on YouTube, continuing to bring in that sweet sweet revenue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post

You get my point. WB wasn't interested in building the comic market. Neither is AT&T. What they don't get is by neglecting the DCU it will eventually kill the golden goose.
    If there is no longer a comic book industry, the characters will wither. Yes, Batman and Superman will always persevere, but a much more diminished rate.
    Look after the books! Yes, they don't make you anywhere near the money other streams offer, but they FEED those other streams.

OK, I'm done ranting and raving now.
    You're not ranting and raving. I get your point.

The DCU needs creativity to thrive.

Sadly, I don't think the DCU will get the creative ideas it needs.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    You're not ranting and raving. I get your point.

The DCU needs creativity to thrive.

Sadly, I don't think the DCU will get the creative ideas it needs.
    Unfortunately, there's only so much stuff that corporate are willing to produce. The wonderful stuff that has been produced we're lucky to have. There's a lot of competition for entertainment dollars these days and only so many talented creators who have the opportunity to create it.

Mighty Member

Looking after the comics is something that Marvel/Disney have been able to do.
    I think it's mostly down to the fact that Disney have so much money, even if the comics make a loss, it's not by a huge margin. Plus they make the money back through merch and movies so the risk/reward benefits them in the end. That and Disney are an entertainment company. The People at the top at least understand how the market works there. (If it sounds like I'm being very defensive over Disney, I try not to be, I think Disney are an awful company and I feel bad I give them money through comics).

DC on the otherhand are owned by a tel********** company, and while they most likely have folks from Warner pulling the strings, ultimately, when given an entertainment platform, they have no idea how to approach it.
    Look at 5g, or the fact they have no idea what they are doing next. Just look at the DCEU, where is that going?
    It's s shame because I want DC to do so much better. And they have a lot IPs that can rival Marvel, they just don't utilise them properly. They tried with Aquaman and that was a valiant attempt, but I think pushing him out so soon before the audience has a grasp on the DECU was a bad move. I'm not a fan of the Marvel movies, but again, they started to take more risks once they established their universe.

I think EVS and co however are missing the point. They seem to long for the 90's again, which as we've all seen, was not a good time for Comics. Diversifying your comics i a good way to attract new readers, I do think there should be a mixture of both. Keep Peter Parker for those who want him and keep Miles for those who want him. Both have audiences that overlap, and eventually Miles may overtake Peter one day, but that's just what happens. By then, the YouTube ranters would be long gone, in its place would be something else, maybe worse, maybe better. But 90's nostalgia is high right now, and personally, not a lot of 90's stuff was good.
    The problems isn't trying to garner a new audience, both have characters that can do that very easily. The problem is finding a status quo and sticking to it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    There's tons of stuff out there already that kids adore. There are hours and hours of Justice League Action, DC Super Hero Girls, Brave & Bold and Teen Titans Go! in addition to all those quick DC Nation shorts that rack up millions of views on YouTube, continuing to bring in that sweet sweet revenue.
    okay...good...i guess...