Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It's worth noting that apparently he's insisting that DC's gonna cease publication in the coming months, but his statements (from "an unverified source") willingly ignore literally everything we know about DC's plans for the immediate future.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So far as I know, EVS has not confirmed one way or the other if he's a "true believer" or just playing things up for the money. It can be really hard to tell, since some of them are really good at acting out as enraged fanboys. Frankly, I think life's too short to waste time on the extreme right-wing YouTubers who are in on the "angry fanboy"-style work, unless you find it interesting to examine.
    Hey, I'm a sociologist I get paid to examine this stuff. Still, even I've grown weary of Right-Wing Social Media craziness since the General Election, it's tiring.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-23-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

So far as I know, EVS has not confirmed one way or the other if he's a "true believer" or just playing things up for the money. It can be really hard to tell, since some of them are really good at acting out as enraged fanboys. Frankly, I think life's too short to waste time on the extreme right-wing YouTubers who are in on the "angry fanboy"-style work, unless you find it interesting to examine.
    He's been at this long enough I don't see him being in it just for the money. Back in the days of Jinxworld him and folks like Ron Marz and Gail Simone would go toe to toe about the merits of Joe McCarthy and other classical conservative things. The vitriolic opinions may be new but the overall slant isn't.

BANNED

Frankly, I wish that he would let go of his various grievances and just focus on producing his crowd-funded comics; that would be healthier for himself and the rest of us.
    It wouldn't be as healthy for his bank account. Realistically, the frog comic is just an aside, even though those are the actual products he offers. What's REALLY fueling all of that and getting people to back him at the level they do is him being an ideologue. I heard he was horribly late with one of his campaigns, and that 's probably the reason why. The majority of his time probably goes to making Youtube videos and nonstop fueding with randos on the internet.

Similarly, Alex Jones (at least at one time) sold supplements, but the conspiracy theories were what really brought people to the table.

Somehow, I don't think I'm saying something everyone doesn't already know, though.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    He's been at this long enough I don't see him being in it just for the money. Back in the days of Jinxworld him and folks like Ron Marz and Gail Simone would go toe to toe about the merits of Joe McCarthy and other classical conservative things. The vitriolic opinions may be new but the overall slant isn't.
    Yeah, EVS doesn't strike me as the standard right-wing grifter. I think he genuinely believes the nonsense he says, and has figured out how to make a living by becoming the poster boy for all the angry resentful white male comic fans who are upset that comics culture is changing.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, EVS doesn't strike me as the standard right-wing grifter. I think he genuinely believes the nonsense he says, and has figured out how to make a living by becoming the poster boy for all the angry resentful white male comic fans who are upset that comics culture is changing.
    ... but I'm black though. UWU

comic fans tend to be be either angry or resentful about something or rather everyday as a whole. Once you're favorite characters become inaccessible or diffrent to how you know/knew them the anger over the emotional
    investment you spent there become inevitable it seems. Its not a white or black or brown issue there. I don't like the low-haning frueit
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post

comic fans tend to be be either angry or resentful about something or rather everyday as a whole. Once you're favorite characters become inaccessible or diffrent to how you know/knew them the anger over the emotional
    investment you spent there become inevitable it seems. Its not a white or black or brown issue there. I don't like the low-haning frueit
    Being mad over changes is one thing. What makes Van Sciver and his cohorts despicable is the hate campaigns, harassments, bullying and bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Hey, I'm a sociologist I get paid to examine this stuff. Still, even I've grown weary of Right-Wing Social Media craziness since the General Election, it's tiring.
    Yeah. For me, what really makes it tiring is how most of it isn't even reasonable positions to hold on complex situations, but outright conspiracy theories that a kid with internet access could debunk, but they continue to yell are true just because they want them to be true. Case in point, I can respect that people may be unhappy with the results of the American election, but it's an established fact who won and who lost and insisting that it was stolen in spite of that has no business being entertained or given credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    It wouldn't be as healthy for his bank account. Realistically, the frog comic is just an aside, even though those are the actual products he offers. What's REALLY fueling all of that and getting people to back him at the level they do is him being an ideologue. I heard he was horribly late with one of his campaigns, and that 's probably the reason why. The majority of his time probably goes to making Youtube videos and nonstop fueding with randos on the internet.

Similarly, Alex Jones (at least at one time) sold supplements, but the conspiracy theories were what really brought people to the table.

Somehow, I don't think I'm saying something everyone doesn't already know, though.
    Yeah, the Cyberfrog project missed its deadline (his fans didn't care). There was also some thing about him selling expensive commemorative coins for the project that were advertised as being specially minted with his artwork, but turned out to be regular half dollars with paper folded over them. Never really kept close tabs on it and I don't really get the logic of trying to build your career on a TMNT ripoff, when, as we've seen historically, no TMNT ripoff ever caught on, so I could be misremembering.

Do agree that his main job now seems to be venting about Star Wars and stuff. Wonder if that was his original plan or if was originally supposed to be a side gig while his established himself as a self-publishing comics creator but turned out to be the easier thing to get his bread and butter from.

(And sure, I do get that he's not going to quite his outrage brand because of the cash it gets him, but I do still stand by that he would be in better shape if he didn't. He doesn't really strike me as a happy person, despite ostensibly doing something he loves on his own terms and believing himself to have shown up his old bosses.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I've no doubt that EVS's rage against DC can appeal to disgruntled fans of all types, but the overwhelming majority of his audience is white males upset that comics are prioritizing diversity over the classic heroes, who are mostly a bunch of white dudes created by white dudes during the mid-20th Century.

The fact is the comics industry can't survive unless it brings in new readers, who might not be as invested in those decades old characters as the aging older readership that have been almost exclusively catered to for decades now. EVS may not like it, but real change needs to happen, and not all of it is going to be good for everyone in the industry. The comics business is a still a business and corporate comics like DC and Marvel are beholden to the whims of their corporate parents, who only care about making a profit. I don't see how EVS throwing spitballs at all the people working at DC, many of whom are losing their jobs for no fault of their own, is helpful to anyone at this time.

I've no doubt that EVS's rage against DC can appeal to disgruntled fans of all types, but the overwhelming majority of his audience is white males upset that comics are prioritizing diversity over the classic heroes, who are mostly a bunch of white dudes created by white dudes during the mid-20th Century.

The fact is the comics industry can't survive unless it brings in new readers, who might not be as invested in those decades old characters as the aging older readership that have been almost exclusively catered to for decades now. EVS may not like it, but real change needs to happen, and not all of it is going to be good for everyone in the industry. The comics business is a still a business and corporate comics like DC and Marvel are beholden to the whims of their corporate parents, who only care about making a profit. I don't see how EVS throwing spitballs at all the people working at DC, many of whom are losing their jobs for no fault of their own, is helpful to anyone at this time.
    Sadly, this isn't merely a fan thing. Certain high-level comic book executives have expressed a desire to keep things frozen in amber if not to roll character development back so they can recreate their childhoods when "comics didn't suck or were great". Interestingly, the comic books that are doing the highest sales numbers are those in which narrative chances are being taken (with only a couple of notable exceptions) Immortal Hulk, (current) X-Men, (current) Venom, exact. It always surprises me how resistant the industry is to change fans and creators alike.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-24-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Ultimate Member

I believe EVS is a actual conservative in real life, but he's also clearly grifting. It's also pretty funny how he had a falling out with a big chunk of the "you-know-who-crowd" when they caught on to the fact that EVS was more about taking over their community so he could promoted himself and his friends.
    Last edited by ed2962; 11-24-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Sadly, this isn't merely a fan thing. Certain high-level comic book executives have expressed a desire to keep things frozen in amber if not to roll character development back so they can recreate their childhoods when "comics didn't suck or were great". Interestingly, the comic books that are doing the highest sales numbers are those in which narrative chances are being taken (with only a couple of notable exceptions) Immortal Hulk, (current) X-Men, (current) Venom, exact. It always surprises me how resistant the industry is to change fans and creators alike.
    Look at who you are talking about.

Those are books were a store has ZERO issue ordering those no matter what direction they take. Because of WHO is on the cover. No mater how bad or good they could be. No matter how many unsold copies a store might pile up.
    How many books have we seen complaints about yet folks run back month after month? Instead of leaving at the end of an arc?

That is who screams the loudest.

Once you're favorite characters become inaccessible or different to how you know/knew them the anger over the emotional investment you spent there become inevitable it seems. Its not a white or black or brown issue there.
    I don't like how Black Panther has been CRAPPED on.
    I was FURIOUS at the butchering of Static by Richards and McDaniel in New 52.
    I did not like how Duke was being done PERIOD in the Batverse and I gave Outsiders a shot for 12 issues.
    DC has BUTCHERED a lot of my favorites.
    I DISPISE the X-Office issues with Black Panther and black males in general.

I did not join some bitter fandom.
    I did not harass, threaten or bully any of the creators on those books.
    I did not go after someone's WIFE or WIDOW.

What did I do? I discovered The Power Rangers at Boom, Priest's Scared Six, Seven Secrets at Boom, the late Shad Gaspard's Assassins & Son and a bunch of indy books. I started supporting Kickstarter books like Dead Beats and Steve Rude's Sketchbook.

Why is it hard for that group to go buy something that they may like and leave everyone else alone?

Yet these are the folks we are seeing. We are not seeing those with an investment.

No Simon Baz fan is going to attack employees at Vault, Valiant, Image, Black Mask and random cosplayers.
    One of the more vocal black ones has attacked DC WORST than Ethan. Yet the last time he bought or read a DC book-the Dallas Cowboys won the Superbowl. 25 years ago.
    Why are the main complainers folks who can't tell you a THING about the books that they are taught to hate?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Those are books were a store has ZERO issue ordering those no matter what direction they take. Because of WHO is on the cover. No mater how bad or good they could be. No matter how many unsold copies a store might pile up.
    How many books have we seen complaints about yet folks run back month after month? Instead of leaving at the end of an arc...
    Not true, Hulk related books (for example) were doing very poorly before the Immortal run. If you had told anyone in early 2018 that a Hulk book would out-sell Batman for several months the following year that person would have rightfully laughed in your face. Venom was another character with what I call "dead interest" among comic book fans until Cates took over rejuvenating the character with new concepts.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-24-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The fact is the comics industry can't survive unless it brings in new readers, who might not be as invested in those decades old characters as the ageing older readership that have been almost exclusively catered to for decades now.
    Yeah maybe, but the way they are doing it, is it sofar is not really working, at least not for the direct market.
    They mostly alienate their existing fans (in large enough numbers that you can make apparently make a living ranting about it on youtube), and bring not in enough new fan in to keep their new character going.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

How many books have we seen complaints about yet folks run back month after month? Instead of leaving at the end of an arc?

That is who screams the loudest.

I don't like how Black Panther has been CRAPPED on.
    I was FURIOUS at the butchering of Static by Richards and McDaniel in New 52.
    I did not like how Duke was being done PERIOD in the Batverse and I gave Outsiders a shot for 12 issues.
    DC has BUTCHERED a lot of my favorites.
    I DISPISE the X-Office issues with Black Panther and black males in general.

I did not join some bitter fandom.
    I did not harass, threaten or bully any of the creators on those books.
    I did not go after someone's WIFE or WIDOW.

What did I do? I discovered The Power Rangers at Boom, Priest's Scared Six, Seven Secrets at Boom, the late Shad Gaspard's Assassins & Son and a bunch of indy books. I started supporting Kickstarter books like Dead Beats and Steve Rude's Sketchbook.

Why is it hard for that group to go buy something that they may like and leave everyone else alone?

Yet these are the folks we are seeing. We are not seeing those with an investment.

No Simon Baz fan is going to attack employees at Vault, Valiant, Image, Black Mask and random cosplayers.
    One of the more vocal black ones has attacked DC WORST than Ethan. Yet the last time he bought or read a DC book-the Dallas Cowboys won the Superbowl. 25 years ago.
    Why are the main complainers folks who can't tell you a THING about the books that they are taught to hate?
    Well, let's be totally, TOTALLY fair. That's not exactly what you did. At least, not the whole of it. You went on strings and STRINGS of very repetitive racially charged angry posts on social media (this forum, for example), to where they probably make up the majority of your post count, by good margin. In that, it's not too different than some things I've seen Van Sciver do, in some respects, he just has a greater influence and more minions. You may not have torn up toys, but you've done things like liberally imply racism from comic shop owners with very little to go on other than some may not order a lot of some comics you like, which is damning and potentially damaging in its own right.

From what I've seen and experienced there are nutty people on both ends of this argument, and both engage in extreme, tiring, and hypocritical behavior.