View Poll Results: Is Steve Trevor Wonder Woman's One True Love?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 64.44%
  • No

16 35.56%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Aren't Amazons polygamous?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Aren't Amazons polygamous?
    No they are not.

Greek myths never had the reputation of having faithful monogamous relationships.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Retired

I think the discussion has gotten away from the question. Being a "True Love" doesn't necessarily mean that Steve is a great character or a continuing character in the story. If he serves the purpose of bringing Diana into Man's World that's enough. In fiction, true loves often don't stick around, they do act as catalysts, they make the story happen. There's many stories about a guy who loses the love of his life at the beginning of the movie and then spends the rest of the running time avenging her death. Sometimes the true love is unattainable--she goes away like Ilsa at the end of CASABLANCA, and we must console ourself with Louis.

If Steve's death in the WONDER WOMAN movie had stuck and he wasn't coming back in WONDER WOMAN 1984, that would have been fine. The true love that is lost and can never be got back is even stronger in fiction--because anyone else who comes along after that love can never compete. How could anyone compete with Patrick Swayze's GHOST? Demi Moore is never going to make herself a better man out of clay to take his place.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I want to say no but historically it's either Steve or pining for Clark or Bruce, so bring on Steve Trevor!!

The Chris Pine version? Sure. I bought that he would be her Lois Lane. But that was the only time I felt that way, otherwise he was just the primary love interest but I was open to something new.

Just not Batman or Superman.

Spectacular Member Ruby Quartz Diamond's Avatar

I've always thought Steve and Diana are the main pairing canon-wise in the comics. Guess I was wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Quartz Diamond View Post
    I've always thought Steve and Diana are the main pairing canon-wise in the comics. Guess I was wrong?
    They are the main pairing but at this point they spent more time apart than together.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Maybe, but no one at DC whether in comics or other media have a great track record. And between Injustice, DCAU, and other instances I have zero desire moving forward of seeing Diana romantically tied to Clark or Bruce. It's ultimately just degrading to her as a character.
    So much this. Diana as an IP is better served with having her own established "true love" relationship not involving Bruce or Clark and that's Steve Trevor. She deserves better than to be reduced to being "arm candy" and nothing much for Supes and Bats. I feel like they've tried to romanticise the whole "work wife" vibe with the trinity and it never gels because while the trinity remains platonic, there's equality of approach when they are being written duking bad guys but when it's a relationship, Diana almost always ends up with the short stick to those two. These guys already have their own true loves and it's not Diana, she deserves better than being second fiddle.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    So much this. Diana as an IP is better served with having her own established "true love" relationship not involving Bruce or Clark and that's Steve Trevor. She deserves better than to be reduced to being "arm candy" and nothing much for Supes and Bats. I feel like they've tried to romanticise the whole "work wife" vibe with the trinity and it never gels because while the trinity remains platonic, there's equality of approach when they are being written duking bad guys but when it's a relationship, Diana almost always ends up with the short stick to those two. These guys already have their own true loves and it's not Diana, she deserves better than being second fiddle.
    That's a function of bad writing, not a bad concept. I could easily blend their worlds 50/50 (or even slightly in Daian's favor) into an engaging whole if given the chance.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    That's a function of bad writing, not a bad concept. I could easily blend their worlds 50/50 (or even slightly in Daian's favor) into an engaging whole if given the chance.
    No matter how you blend it, Bruce and Clark have love interests grown in their own world and designed to compliment them. Diana puts her entire universe on hold just to give them a "refreshing change of pace" until they rebound to their love interests.

She's literally a crutch for them. It's goddamn disrespectful of her as a character and undermines her IP. If we must pair her with an established character, it should be one that can actually have lasting impact like Green Arrow and Black Canary.

But Lois and Clark is possibly the most forgone conclusion in comics. Bruce and Selina is pretty up there too, if Bruce has anyone at all.

I'd rather not put Diana getting a stable supporting cast on hold again to appease people who want her to essentially be one of the World's Finest on-again-off-again girlfriend when their main lady is off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    No matter how you blend it, Bruce and Clark have love interests grown in their own world and designed to compliment them. Diana puts her entire universe on hold just to give them a "refreshing change of pace" until they rebound to their love interests.

She's literally a crutch for them. It's goddamn disrespectful of her as a character and undermines her IP. If we must pair her with an established character, it should be one that can actually have lasting impact like Green Arrow and Black Canary.

But Lois and Clark is possibly the most forgone conclusion in comics. Bruce and Selina is pretty up there too, if Bruce has anyone at all.

I'd rather not put Diana getting a stable supporting cast on hold again to appease people who want her to essentially be one of the World's Finest on-again-off-again girlfriend when their main lady is off the table.
    To each their own. I still contend it would make a great AU concept, but yeah, not in the main continuity as it now stands.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Trinity shipping should always be off the table, unless they actually go with the one with most textual evidence.

Which is obviously Bruce/Clark. Diana has less romantic chemistry with either of them than they do with each other She's their beard at most.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Trinity shipping should always be off the table, unless they actually go with the one with most textual evidence.

Which is obviously Bruce/Clark. Diana has less romantic chemistry with either of them than they do with each other She's their beard at most.
    Eh, to reach their own. SuperBat has no appeal for me. I feel it is too obvious and thus easily written. As an author, I prefer a challenge. I also feel the pairing is too antsy which I despise second only to reform pairings (of villains and heroes "your love saved me" and all that ****), so lazy and trope ridden. So, a hard pass from me.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-25-2020 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Dc can’t get any relationship right because of how long Diana has been without a love interest. If Trevor ever comes back it’s best they give a reason why they love each other