View Poll Results: Is Steve Trevor Wonder Woman's One True Love?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 64.44%
  • No

16 35.56%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Is Steve Trevor Wonder Woman's One True Love?

There are a great deal of Superman/Lois Lane purisrs out there in comics, and I may hazard a guess that the majority of Superman fans prefer Superman to be with Lois Lane. I sense similar sentiment with Aquaman fans and Mera or Swamp Thing fans and Abigail Holland.

However, and I might be wrong about this, but I don't think that there are as many Wonder Woman fans who feel so strongly that Steve Trevor should always be paired with Diana

You're probably right in that there's less in comparison to Superman/Lois. Some reasons being that Steve wasn't a love interest for much of Diana's modern publication history, something which was only restored rather recently. Another is that the original premise Marston setup, "she falls in love with the first man she sees" is rather dated and easy to see why some would want to avoid that.

Thumbs up

I say no simply because he's, well, a non-entity. I'm sorry but the guy sucks and has for literally decades now. I think it is high time Diana was given a new love interest one more worthy of her iconic status. Unlike Lois or Selina (who are interesting in their own right), Steve is nothing without Diana his entire relevancy is tied up with her own. He is not an independent character who can stand unassisted as part of the mythos.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-21-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I don't hate Steve but I don't see him as Diana's one true love.

I can't say yes because for me there hasn't been the best content to show it so far. We are often told it in some way, but I don't feel I've read enough stories that show it through their dynamic. They've not really had the chance to be and mature together over time, certainly in modern stories, in a way that says to me "ok, these two are absolutely meant to be". I feel I've seen them fall in love multiple times across diff stories and mediums, but I haven't seen the quality of their relationship in depth. There is something qualitatively different about how they could be as a couple that is there in the original stories (a sort of playfulness I like), but it feels like few modern writers have taken time to explore that at length.

I'll sound like a broken record bringing Rucka into it, but I think he set up the means to do something long-term with their partnership in his second run. It really felt movingly romantic in ways I had not seen elsewhere, though it could have done with some flirtatious joy too.

A part of me wants to say yes to the question because I would love to see it, but I feel I can't because I haven't yet. There's also the part of me that wants Diana's relationships with women to be explored too, and short of DC being brave enough for polyamory, we probably can't have both.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think these criticisms about Steve not being on par with Lois and Catwoman are simply because of lack of development. It's true that Perez and other Post-Crisis writers sidelined Steve but when he was brought back in the New 52, Geoff Johns and later in Rebirth, Greg Rucka, developed him quite well. He just needs more time to get back his groove so to speak. After entertaining Diana with others with Trevor Barnes, Superman, and Orion, Steve has the best chemistry with Diana IMO.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think these criticisms about Steve not being on par with Lois and Catwoman are simply because of lack of development. It's true that Perez and other Post-Crisis writers sidelined Steve but when he was brought back in the New 52, Geoff Johns and later in Rebirth, Greg Rucka, developed him quite well. He just needs more time to get back his groove so to speak. After entertaining Diana with others with Trevor Barnes, Superman, and Orion, Steve has the best chemistry with Diana IMO.
    Johns developed him (if you can even call it that, his writing on JL left much to be desired) as Diana's ex-boyfriend. Rucka was the first post-Flashpoint writer to actually depict Steve as Diana's boyfriend.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No, even though I'm ok with defaulting to him as the main love interest. He's the original and the most iconic, has at least the great movie portrayal to his name. Plus he's better than pairing her up with another JL superhero or the parade of duds we got post-COIE meant to replace him.

So he's #1 for me, but not to the same level that Lois is for Superman. If DC would actually commit to the idea, I'd be fine with her being paired with Artemis or Io. Plus, she and Barbara Ann are totally exes.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Johns developed him (if you can even call it that, his writing on JL left much to be desired) as Diana's ex-boyfriend. Rucka was the first post-Flashpoint writer to actually depict Steve as Diana's boyfriend.
    That and Johns made Steve an A.R.G.U.S. soldier and later the leader of the government-sponsored Justice League of America, leading such prominent characters as Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Catwoman, and Hawkman. Steve also took down Cheetah and her Zoo Crew pretty much on his own. Those are some decent credentials IMO.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Not sure how to vote, in that, I don’t mind them being together, but it doesn’t bother me if they have a platonic relationship.
    They work as characters both ways.

As mentioned, they aren’t Superman and Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I agree with you. The situation reminds me of the character of Chi Chi from the Dragon Ball franchise. Post the original series (or, in other words, for two-thirds of the present material) Chi Chi lost all relevancy as a character she is simply there to be the put upon wife and mother who occasionally appears to be either a mild-foil or cheerleader (for the actually important characters) but otherwise has no impact on the narrative. Like Chi Chi, if Steve wasn't present in most modern Wonder Woman stories would anyone really notice his absence?

Retired

Based on what the writers after Charles Moulton have done with him or based on my own sense of the character?

I can see where, given how badly many writers have used him (but not all), one might feel he's a garbage character and brings nothing to the story. But I find him a worthwhile fellow, based on my selective reading of him and viewing of him.

He turns Diana on. His arrival is her big lightbulb moment. It's as pivotal as Krypton exploding or a bullet tearing into Martha Wayne's flesh. Before that moment, Diana was content to live out her life with her sisters, never thinking there was anything else for her. Once Steve Trevor lands in her lap--it's an earthquake that tears down her preconceptions and makes her exclaim, "Oh Brave New World, that has such people in it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Based on what the writers after Charles Moulton have done with him or based on my own sense of the character?

I can see where, given how badly many writers have used him (but not all), one might feel he's a garbage character and brings nothing to the story. But I find him a worthwhile fellow, based on my selective reading of him and viewing of him.

He turns Diana on. His arrival is her big lightbulb moment. It's as pivotal as Krypton exploding or a bullet tearing into Martha Wayne's flesh. Before that moment, Diana was content to live out her life with her sisters, never thinking there was anything else for her. Once Steve Trevor lands in her lap--it's an earthquake that tears down her preconceptions and makes her exclaim, "Oh Brave New World, that has such people in it!"
    But this would make him more a catalyst than a true character which is my argument. Steve hasn't been a compelling character since early WW. Unlike Lois or Selina who have their own agency beyond their superhero love interests, Steve has become nothing more than Diana's gateway to "Man's World", which is sad.

To use a job search analogy, he's got holes in his resume, mostly notably the Post-Crisis era. But does anyone else have a better claim?

I guess the answer is it's either this guy, or no one at all.

For me, yes. I'm fine with her dating other people and experimenting, but in my perfect world she would end up with Steve.

I think the difference between Steve and Lois boils down to their gender - Lois was created in a time where there weren't many strong female characters so she was able to create a spot for herself in the comics medium. Steve, meanwhile... there are tons of male superheroes out there, or male heroes in general, so an ordinary dude will always look lackluster compared to the more bombastic options out there for Diana. At least in terms of comics. It doesn't help that Steve's history is just as muddled as Diana's, so he spent a large chunk of time as a non-romantic interest or even not in the book at all.