Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What is consent in comics and how do you view it?

Now I've heard plenty of stories on characters pretending to be other characters and engaging in activities that character B wouldn't have done had they really known who character A was. Comics are fantasy and like Horror films, I suspend my belief on most of whats going on. Now I don't believe any writers really sit and think it through when using certain character abilities that this will be a rape story down the line. I had an interesting mini conversation with poster Crimz and I just had to see what others thought on this as well.

I'll use Spock as an example. He was for all intents and purposes Spider-man. Outward appearance and mentally as well. Not sure what Slott was gonna do with the Mary Jane aspect and if the story changed when people were raging everywhere on the impending rape of Mrs. Watson, but I doubt he was even thinking of the sexual aspect of that relationship, but here we go. Then he introduced Anna Marconi who, for all intents and purposes, was raped by Octavius. I wasn't really paying attention to this aspect of the story, but some obviously were more invested than I in it.

In a world with Telepaths, Shape Changers and Pleasure stimulators do people truly believe some of their favorites with these abilities are saints?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

You lost me...how is Spock like Spider-Man?

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-22-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Incredible Member

I meant Spider-man when Doc Ock impersonated him. Well was him technically. I'm sure he was named Spock as well.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I thought consent was absolute and there is no gray area on the matter. What's the discussion about again? Are we talking about the actions/narratives of writers, or the actions of characters?

It's about a shape-shifter who disguised themself as someone else in order to gain favor and get intimate with another character. Some, including myself, call that sexual assault.

As to using other powers to increase the probability that someone wiill want to have sex wiith you, I offer this comic which covers that in as good of detail as anything I've seen in the big two superhero universes.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/She-Hulk_Vol_2_7

Most fans would consider the shape-shifting or body snatching, i looking at you Slotto Octavius, a sexual assault, is amazing how Joe Kelly Deadpool run in the late 90s understood that better than a 2010's Spider-Man comic. Also i'm sure that F4 fans would love to talk you about Lyja and Johnny (can't comment on that thought i never read that run).

Telepaths are a complicated disscussion, mostly on regards to privacy and secrets, especially among X-Fans considering that the top telepaths are there.

As for hormones and stuff like that, i can only think of Daken and some minor villains like Mandril (if that his name?), but i don't think that you'll find many people that consider those guys saints.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

Moondragon did it to Thor but she’s still considered a hero.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Moondragon did it to Thor but she’s still considered a hero.
    In fairness, she was punished and did spend a considerable amount of time redeeming herself

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Most fans would consider the shape-shifting or body snatching, i looking at you Slotto Octavius, a sexual assault, is amazing how Joe Kelly Deadpool run in the late 90s understood that better than a 2010's Spider-Man comic. Also i'm sure that F4 fans would love to talk you about Lyja and Johnny (can't comment on that thought i never read that run).

Telepaths are a complicated disscussion, mostly on regards to privacy and secrets, especially among X-Fans considering that the top telepaths are there.

As for hormones and stuff like that, i can only think of Daken and some minor villains like Mandril (if that his name?), but i don't think that you'll find many people that consider those guys saints.
    And let's not forget Purple Man/Zebediah Killgrave and the version of Mister Fear (re)introduced in Ed Brubaker's Daredevil, the latter last being seen using his pheromones to effectively rule over the prison he'd been sentenced to, even raping a female prison guard, and the former being established as a very unrepentant serial rapist in Alias (debuting Jessica Jones) by Brian Bendis.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Enh!....comic books, like any other genre of literature, and specifically fantasy, allows for the telling of all and any topics in whatever form, by whatever device as imagined by the writers. And as such, to be interpreted in any way the individual reader thinks and feels.

Characters like Mystique, the Purple Man, Starfox, Mastermind and others who use their powers to manipulate and sometimes hurt are simply being written true to type. Some we can sympathise with, some we abhor, some we love and some we love to hate. But that's the point of having villains in the story, in the first place, to add contention and interest.

And I am very okies with that.

If we are to bring in "real world" sensibilities, it's not very different to the way some men and women use their sexuality and power and money to manipulate others as a means to an end (to varying degrees of reprehensibility).
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 11-22-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

What gets me about Spider-Man is the Spider-Office came under fire back during BND when Chameleon, disguised as Peter, decided to seduce Michelle Gonzales and the way the panels were framed it alluded to them having sex. They later handwaved it as them only making out but that type of criticism towards those type of stories already had a precedent and yet they still rolled with the SpOck stuff anyway.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

The whole Secret Invasion stuff - especially with pregnant Tigra - was all abit strange.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    What gets me about Spider-Man is the Spider-Office came under fire back during BND when Chameleon, disguised as Peter, decided to seduce Michelle Gonzales and the way the panels were framed it alluded to them having sex. They later handwaved it as them only making out but that type of criticism towards those type of stories already had a precedent and yet they still rolled with the SpOck stuff anyway.
    SpOck didn't shack up with Mary Jane, in fairness. He started a relationship with a woman who didn't know Peter at all.

Still skeevy, mind, but at least they tried

I don't really have a line in the sand but then again i watched One Life to Live and General Hospital as a kid so if you can get over rape, blowing up your sister, sleeping with your twins uncle that is your cousin you can pretty much look at anything pretty abstract. It honestly depends on the story and what i feel about it. Like i felt for Black Bolt in his solo that he was in prison and thought it was greatly written and as such didn't care about what he did to mutants with the crystals anymore. So it really just depends on the arc and how it's written but i don't just dump any character of fiction into the can't be redeemed pile because someone out there can do it.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Any ability that falls under "pleasure stimulation" is just a superpowered roofie.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?