Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    5,022

    Default Should Conan be part of the Marvel universe?

    Now that Marvel has re-aquired the rights to Conan franchise, should they make him part of their universe? Or should he be in his own universe?
    WAKANDA FOREVER! Chadwick Boseman 1976-2020 BLM

  2. #2
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Honestly he feels out of place running with all the other heroes in Secret Avengers, he should be part of the Marvel Multiverse and have his own universe but not really interact with the rest of the 616 Marvel, IMO.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    I don't like him in the present. I've considered what would happen if they through him in Weirdworld, and it still doesn't really work for me. What they COULD do is simply make Conan a part of Marvel's past and...you know...keep him there, but allude to other things in the present. For instance, Conan vs Khonshu worshippers and one of Khonshu's old avatars could really work. Conan interacting with old Atlantis could work, so on and so forth.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,800

    Default

    In my own personal head canon heís always been a part of the MU.
    The Hyborean Age was woven into Marvelís history in the early seventies; my two favorite What Ifs are V1 #13 What if Conan The Barbarian Walked The Earth Today, and V1 #43 What if Conan The Barbarian Were Stranded in The Twentieth Century. One of my favorite Marvel Team Up issues was V1 #79 where Spidey teamed up w. Red Sonja (whoíd possessed Mary Janeís body) to fight Kulan Gath.

    Seeing Conan in Savage Avengers has been a hoot. From fighting Wolverine to eating dinner w. Doom to watching lucha libre matches and teaming up w. Venom to fight alien invaders, the guy takes everything in stride, nothing phases him.
    Thatís Conan in a nutshell.

  5. #5
    Incredible Member Doombot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    577

    Default

    He should be part of the MU as it's history. You can tell endless tales there, in his own time. Conan running around with Wolverine and Captain America etc, is ridiculous to me, even for comics.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,800

    Default

    No more ridiculous than a Norse God running around w. the aforementioned Captain America, a WWII super soldier revived after being in suspended animation for 70+ years and both of them hang out w. a billionaire industrialist who made an advanced suit of armor in a cave, w. a box of scraps.

  7. #7
    Incredible Member Doombot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    No more ridiculous than a Norse God running around w. the aforementioned Captain America, a WWII super soldier revived after being in suspended animation for 70+ years and both of them hang out w. a billionaire industrialist who made an advanced suit of armor in a cave, w. a box of scraps.
    It's more ridiculous in that Conan has never really been seen anywhere but in ancient barbarian times, fighting other people who also have swords and animals skins. Thor has always been a character that is, one, a god, and two, seen traveling to all kinds of crazy worlds and dimensions. Ka-Zar is similar, as he never seems to be anything but out of place when he leaves the Savage Land.
    Last edited by Doombot; 11-22-2020 at 08:34 PM.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,463

    Default

    He's not a part of the Marvel Universe until he's teamed with Spider-Man.

    (Unless he has and I don't remember.)

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,572

    Default

    Ehhhh... In the past is the best way to do it, but my real opinion is 'If they can KEEP the rights'. Marvel has had a lot of trouble in the past with having fun and interesting characters crossover and team up... only to lose the rights later and be forbidden from mentioning, reprinting those issues. GI JOE, Transformers, ROM, Godzilla... For a company so focused on tpbs, it's REALLY dangerous to make a character they MAY not have the rights to in 5 years an integral part fo the story...

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    6,181

    Default

    I'm not saying that anachronisms can't work, but just not Conan. If the Savage Land is still around, maybe he can go there? Or maybe he can be sent to one of the many dimensional realms, or godly realm that better suit him? I would even be fine with Marvel creating a new realm just for Conan. The Microverse is still an option, isn't it? Must be a bazillion lost worlds there that Conan can inhibit.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    It's more ridiculous in that Conan has never really been seen anywhere but in ancient barbarian times, fighting other people who also have swords and animals skins. Thor has always been a character that is, one, a god, and two, seen traveling to all kinds of crazy worlds and dimensions. Ka-Zar is similar, as he never seems to be anything but out of place when he leaves the Savage Land.
    ^^^agree to disagree.
    I don’t see where anything you’re describing in any more or less ridiculous than anything else. This is comics. Part of the fun is that anything can happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm not saying that anachronisms can't work, but just not Conan. If the Savage Land is still around, maybe he can go there? Or maybe he can be sent to one of the many dimensional realms, or godly realm that better suit him? I would even be fine with Marvel creating a new realm just for Conan. The Microverse is still an option, isn't it? Must be a bazillion lost worlds there that Conan can inhibit.
    ^^^he's already been to the Savage Land.
    I mean, at least give the new stuff a look before dismissing it.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Honestly he feels out of place running with all the other heroes in Secret Avengers, he should be part of the Marvel Multiverse and have his own universe but not really interact with the rest of the 616 Marvel, IMO.
    The same with Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales, both of whom would be better served in the Ultimate Universe instead of Marvel-616...

  13. #13
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,905

    Default

    I'll probably never fully acknowledge him as part of it.

    I think he stood out more in his own world, he seems far less special/unique in the Marvel universe, but then again I don't really consider Angela part of the Marvel Universe either but fans seem to have welcomed her
    The J-man

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    6,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^he's already been to the Savage Land.
    I mean, at least give the new stuff a look before dismissing it.
    I'm anxiously awaiting the Conan and Blue Marvel team-up.

    Seriously, any writer worth his salt can make Conan in the modern age work. I just prefer my high fantasy sword and sorcery in an environment where hybrid vehicles aren't extant. The age and environment (flora and fauna) is one the best characters in Conan's classic stories.

    But since we're bringing Conan to 2020, can we also bring back BÍlit and make her one of the first -- and the next -- Phoenix host?

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The same with Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales, both of whom would be better served in the Ultimate Universe instead of Marvel-616...
    Again, the issue with that is that alternate universes are expendable by nature.

    They would only put him there if they planned on getting rid of him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •