Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Should Conan be part of the Marvel universe?

Now that Marvel has re-aquired the rights to Conan franchise, should they make him part of their universe? Or should he be in his own universe?
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Honestly he feels out of place running with all the other heroes in Secret Avengers, he should be part of the Marvel Multiverse and have his own universe but not really interact with the rest of the 616 Marvel, IMO.

Mighty Member

I don't like him in the present. I've considered what would happen if they through him in Weirdworld, and it still doesn't really work for me. What they COULD do is simply make Conan a part of Marvel's past and...you know...keep him there, but allude to other things in the present. For instance, Conan vs Khonshu worshippers and one of Khonshu's old avatars could really work. Conan interacting with old Atlantis could work, so on and so forth.

In my own personal head canon he’s always been a part of the MU.
    The Hyborean Age was woven into Marvel’s history in the early seventies; my two favorite What Ifs are V1 #13 What if Conan The Barbarian Walked The Earth Today, and V1 #43 What if Conan The Barbarian Were Stranded in The Twentieth Century. One of my favorite Marvel Team Up issues was V1 #79 where Spidey teamed up w. Red Sonja (who’d possessed Mary Jane’s body) to fight Kulan Gath.

Seeing Conan in Savage Avengers has been a hoot. From fighting Wolverine to eating dinner w. Doom to watching lucha libre matches and teaming up w. Venom to fight alien invaders, the guy takes everything in stride, nothing phases him.
    That’s Conan in a nutshell.

He should be part of the MU as it's history. You can tell endless tales there, in his own time. Conan running around with Wolverine and Captain America etc, is ridiculous to me, even for comics.

No more ridiculous than a Norse God running around w. the aforementioned Captain America, a WWII super soldier revived after being in suspended animation for 70+ years and both of them hang out w. a billionaire industrialist who made an advanced suit of armor in a cave, w. a box of scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    No more ridiculous than a Norse God running around w. the aforementioned Captain America, a WWII super soldier revived after being in suspended animation for 70+ years and both of them hang out w. a billionaire industrialist who made an advanced suit of armor in a cave, w. a box of scraps.
    It's more ridiculous in that Conan has never really been seen anywhere but in ancient barbarian times, fighting other people who also have swords and animals skins. Thor has always been a character that is, one, a god, and two, seen traveling to all kinds of crazy worlds and dimensions. Ka-Zar is similar, as he never seems to be anything but out of place when he leaves the Savage Land.
    Last edited by Doombot; 11-22-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

He's not a part of the Marvel Universe until he's teamed with Spider-Man.

(Unless he has and I don't remember.)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

In my own personal head canon he’s always been a part of the MU.
    The Hyborean Age was woven into Marvel’s history in the early seventies; my two favorite What Ifs are V1 #13 What if Conan The Barbarian Walked The Earth Today, and V1 #43 What if Conan The Barbarian Were Stranded in The Twentieth Century. One of my favorite Marvel Team Up issues was V1 #79 where Spidey teamed up w. Red Sonja (who’d possessed Mary Jane’s body) to fight Kulan Gath.

Seeing Conan in Savage Avengers has been a hoot. From fighting Wolverine to eating dinner w. Doom to watching lucha libre matches and teaming up w. Venom to fight alien invaders, the guy takes everything in stride, nothing phases him.
    That’s Conan in a nutshell.
    I agree with this. I really thought it was a stupid idea when I first saw the stories about Marvel bringing him into the present day MU but he's been highly entertaining in Savage Avengers. I hope he never gets civilized and remains a barbarian. Oh, he can get smarter, more accustomed to some things in the present day but I feel he should still resist it.

marvel has a million characters who can do what conan does but they should definitely keep simping for a character they don't really own, surely that will never bite them in the ass
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I don't mind linking magic and monsters and artifacts to the Marvel Universe, but Conan walking around in the modern age is just plain silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    marvel has a million characters who can do what conan does
    pretty much this. I think Conan is more special in his own world. Sure you could add him, but when he stands in the universe with everyone else he doesn't shine as much
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm anxiously awaiting the Conan and Blue Marvel team-up.
    ^^^Ah, but would you actually read it before saying it wasn’t any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I agree with this. I really thought it was a stupid idea when I first saw the stories about Marvel bringing him into the present day MU but he's been highly entertaining in Savage Avengers. I hope he never gets civilized and remains a barbarian. Oh, he can get smarter, more accustomed to some things in the present day but I feel he should still resist it.
    ^^^agree w. your points.

Incredible Member

I remember waaaay back in Conan the Barbarian #1, a shaman glimpsed the future (an astronaut floating amongst other things) and he was driven mad by these sights. When Conan met the Scarlet Witch in the Avengers mini and was transported to the present, he didn't bat an eye. A simple spell let him speak English, and all the sensory overload that he should have experienced amounted to....absolutely nothing. I always found this a little silly to be honest.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

^^^Ah, but would you actually read it before saying it wasn’t any good?
    I read Conan in the recent Avengers limited series. That did nothing to change my opinion. I used to collect Conan because of the amazing Ernie Chan. Conan belongs in the Hyborian Age, or similar. If I want to read someone with his character attributes in the modern world, I'll read Wolverine or Thor.