Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Yara Flor Appreciation 2020

Who is Yara Flor? She is an Indigenous Amazon from Brazil (I keep hearing people say that she is Latina, or more specifically Portuguese Brazilian, but she is clearly supposed to be Indigenous, most likely inspired from Tupi people) that will become Wonder Woman's replacement in the far future. Many consider Yara Flor to be the greatest character introduced to comics during the 2020's, with some even going so far as to say she is the best superhero character of the 21st and even 20th centuries!

Where can I CONSUME Yara Flor content?
    >>>> Come January 2021 the world will be graced with FUTURE STATE: JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 and FUTURE STATE: WONDER WOMAN #1. These are future tales that take place in a DC event called...Future State, which is about stories that take place in the future...BUY THEM!
    >>>> A mini-series (?) that will take place in the the main DC continuity where the character will become the new Wonder Girl! As of now there is no date scheduled, more info soon to come!
    >>>> CW (Yes, that CW!), seeing the demand for more Yara content, has proclaimed to the masses their goal for a Yara Flor live-action tv show!

Topics of discussion;

>>>> Is Yara Flor too perfect?
    >>>> Is her last name (Flor) kind of stupid? I'm gettin' Bella Swan vibes from it.
    >>>> Is Yara Flor Indigenous or is she a Latina? Are Indigenous South American people considered Latino? Are Brazilians considered Latino?
    >>>> What should Yara's role in the third DCEU Wonder Woman film be?
    >>>> Why do people keep thinking her name is Yara Flora, instead of Yara Flor?
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-23-2020 at 12:37 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

This is the cover of Future State: Wonder Woman #2 by Joelle Jones.

Notice how Yara is enjoying herself as she mounts a mythological beast? This is why the world readily accepted Yara into their heart.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-23-2020 at 12:35 AM.

This is probably the best cover Jenny Frison has done! Yara Flor is like a muse from Greek mythology, she just inspires great works of art!
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-23-2020 at 12:35 AM.

She has a nice costume and look (visual design) that is all there is to her (aside from her intriguing backstory). Although I do like what little we've seen and know about her, thus far.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spectacular Member

She looks black Brazilian to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    She could easily be of mixed heritage: due to the legendary brutality of the Brazilian sugar plantation system (which had the highest mortality rate in the Western Hemisphere during the "Age of Discovery"), there were many "Maroon" settlements founded by runaway slaves in the rainforest. These settlement populations tended to be majority male and often interacted with indigenous tribes from which they would draw female sexual partners. Also, many ex-slaves who failed to become part of a Maroon settlement were taken in by indigenous tribes (a similar thing occurred in Florida with the Seminole Indians until Florida became an American state and the government ruthlessly relocated the Seminoles in part to prevent escaped slaves from seeking their assistance).
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-23-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

They based her design off an indigenous woman, so I doubt it.

SfAmQjzeab5X9k32yHHshG.jpg

In this image from her creator Joelle Jones she is wearing Tupi face paint, which I think is a pretty good indicator of her origins. The images provided to us thus far have been pretty inconsistent though in terms of some of her features, including basic stuff like here hair and skin colour.

I think the CW may be stepping on a landmine in making a Yara tv show though, because...there are probably no Tupi actors in Hollywood. Twitter is gonna freak when they inevitably cast a Mexican American actress.

The actress Joëlle Jones based adult Yara on is an Indigenous Brazilian actress named Suyane Moreira.

Suyane Moreira is an indigenous Brazilian actress and a model #indigenousnorthamericans.jpg

Suyane Moreira-1.jpg

16032343755f8f6a4758b02_1603234375_3x2_md-1.jpg

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    She could easily be of mixed heritage: due to the legendary brutality of the Brazilian sugar plantation system (which had the highest mortality rate in the Western Hemisphere during the "Age of Discovery"), there were many "Maroon" settlements founded by runaway slaves in the rainforest. These settlement populations tended to be majority male and often interacted with indigenous tribes from which they would draw female sexual partners. Also, many ex-slaves who failed to become part of a Maroon settlement were taken in by indigenous tribes (a similar thing occurred in Florida with the Seminole Indians until Florida became an American state and the government ruthlessly relocated the Seminoles in part to prevent escaped slaves from seeking their assistance).
    Yes to all of this. In certain regions/countries in Latin america lots of ppl are afro indigenous. The woman they based her on could be mixed its highly possible based on Brazilians long racial slave history

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Love her design and so far she looks interesting.

Yes to all of this. In certain regions/countries in Latin america lots of ppl are afro indigenous. The woman they based her on could be mixed its highly possible based on Brazilians long racial slave history
    Just because she could be mixed doesn't mean she identifies as Black.

Brazilians are considered latino, it's too early to tell if she's too perfect.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Bringing back the leotard in style .