25 44.64%
  • Reboot

7 12.50%
  • Continue as normal

15 26.79%
  • Other (specify)

9 16.07%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Definitely a relaunch. DC has been so stagnant since Doomsday Clock.

The only thing I’d like to see after Future State is a Wonder Girl book starring Yara. Maybe they can do another mini series with Tim Fox as Batman. But none of the other characters or concepts interest me that much. Titans Academy seems like a knockoff of X Men and countless other books and movies but I’m all for it if it allows some of DC’s under utilized young heroes a chance to appear in a monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That's what I wanted ever since they published Multiversity and they did that with every Earth! Why do they never do that for every book!
    Think the big issue here would be ... like numbering volumes.

People will be only interest in one of the earths, stories only from that universe.

DC dont want you just getting stuck on one earth.

They want you collecting all the stories.

Of the Future State characters/settings, only Yara I don't really have issue with. Mostly. Only that there are a couple other Wonder Girls already that barely have anything to do with Diana now, aside from that.... Seeing a younger Yara end up with Super Sons (make it Super Kids), with Jon back as a kid, could be interesting.

Along with others, stop the doom and gloom parade. Its what drove me from most series I was following in Rebirth (mid-Rebirth, there was a big tonal change through most series). Stop re-writing the same stories, only marginally different too. We don't need Tower of Babel 59, Judas Contract 87, or any of those other kinds of things.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with a fun adventure story too.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

People will be only interest in one of the earths, stories only from that universe.

I mean dc used to do it all the time back in the day with stories like crisis on multiple earths or earth 3 or Earth X. Honestly if we look at things now dc has been pretty loose about multiverse and time travel. All they would have to do is set up a crossover “the Justice Incarnate will team up with the green lantern corps this week to save their worlds” or something like that.

Besides I would also argue that a lot of stories that people like now take place on alternative earths, such as White Knight, Injustice, DCeased, Freedom Fighters, various Black Label books such as Wonder Woman Dead Earth, the upcoming Milestone books, or just out of continuity digital series. That’s just counting new series, not even old ones such as Kingdom come or Dark Knight returns.

But you’re right they will probably have issues if they do stuff like relaunching a book if it doesn’t differentiate itself in anyway via title.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Isn't FUTURE STATE essentially an extended "Elseworlds" project while the old status quo soldiers on separately? I view it almost like an updated take on KINGDOM COME.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I would also like to have adult superman stories with jon,yara,..etc as future tales.Like there used to be books on superman/boy,wondergirl/woman..etc at the same time.The thing a gonna miss my kind of superman.A bit literal in this case.but finally superman embracing what he is supposed to represent allegorically.A gladiator who breaks chains for the little guy.

"I fight for those who can't fight for themselves"
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-23-2020 at 10:45 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Isn't FUTURE STATE essentially an extended "Elseworlds" project while the old status quo soldiers on separately? I view it almost like an updated take on KINGDOM COME.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I think it's more DC dipping its toe into what 5G was meant to be to see if there's actually a market for any of these concepts and, if so, they'll either reintroduce them into the main DCU or spin them off into their own imprint.

Me, I wouldn’t mind a reboot if it means REALLY starting over.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Me, I wouldn’t mind a reboot if it means REALLY starting over.
    I think at least part of the draw of the material is the reference purchase...

You read a totally new story but characters in the stories reference some old arc, event or moment...

I cant tell you how many times ive investigated old stories and bought loads of old books simply on a quick reference in a new story.

Dc would likely never start totally fresh as they want the new books to cause you to read old books.

If your a new reader and Robin off hand mentions knightfall, it makes you wanna check out the old story

At least it does for me...

I have a hard time believing DC is just gonna bomb decades of stories for a risky fresh start...

Spectacular Member

I think at least part of the draw of the material is the reference purchase...

You read a totally new story but characters in the stories reference some old arc, event or moment...

I cant tell you how many times ive investigated old stories and bought loads of old books simply on a quick reference in a new story.

Dc would likely never start totally fresh as they want the new books to cause you to read old books.

If your a new reader and Robin off hand mentions knightfall, it makes you wanna check out the old story

At least it does for me...

I have a hard time believing DC is just gonna bomb decades of stories for a risky fresh start...
    TBF if your names weren't Batman or Green Lantern your stories were effectively removed from canon with the creation of the new 52. For the other lines, it was essentially a new start. The problem I have with it was that it wasn't a line-wide fresh start

Respect for Conner Kent

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

They're publishing 52 issues... wait, 36... I mean, basically, most of their publication is for Earth-1 and the rest only have 1 issues each. Sometimes. So most people are buying Earth-1 books regardless. The label just makes it easier and you don't have to ask fans or comic owners... hey is this canon?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

First and foremost, just good self contained stories. Continuity be damned. I think we've gotten to the point where a serialized inter connected continuity that also doesn't want to age up any of its characters has done all it can. So just do stories that can take place in any time frame or continuity where everything is on the table to be either used or discarded. Preferably in 12-issue chunks as that is the optimal length for an evergreen seller when its collected. And if there needs to be more, follow it up with a 6-12 issue sequel by the same creator. But don't cross over with anything else.

Let's allow for a married Superman with a kid, or stories set in his younger days. Have one skew closer to the post-Crisis model while another is the pre-Crisis model. Give us Wonder Woman's equivalent to "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow/Caped Crusader" that can be picked up without any required knowledge beyond the broad stuff. Give us a book with a more streamlined Batman with just Dick as Robin, and another book(s) for the bigger Bat-Family and maybe when Bruce is retired/dead. A Flash book that stars Barry while another that stars Waid-era Wally. Barbara as Batgirl or as Oracle with the Birds of Prey and Cass as Batgirl, etc.

Any ongoing books should not have crossovers/events that hijack it. That has never resulted in anything good. All the best classic runs and evergreen self contained stories have minimal or no crossovers for a reason.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I just want good stories about my favorite characters, from creators who also like them. No universe/multiverse/omniverse shakeups (followed by a bunch of #1's) necessary.

Is that so much to ask for??
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Any ongoing books should not have crossovers/events that hijack it. That has never resulted in anything good. All the best classic runs and evergreen self contained stories have minimal or no crossovers for a reason.
    While I completely agree with this statement personally, the numbers disagree unfortunately. Events and their related tie-ins continue to result in the highest selling books, year in and year out. No matter how overhyped and mediocre they are *coughdeathmetalcough*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES