Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Default Tomasi’s Detective Run—thoughts, opinions, reviews

I haven’t seen much talk about Tomasi’s Tec run, which is a shame, because we’re getting a lot of great arc from it. Also, some great art from Walker, Rocafort, and Evely. Evely is giving me that notes of 80’s/90’s Breyfogle with her art. I like that both Tomasi and Tynion are trying to add new characters to the franchise. It shows real world building on their part, and a willingness to take chances.

I like the current post-Joker War story he’s doing, I’m a big bat-family fan so I appreciate that he’s using them now along with the current attempt to pick up Damian from where Teen Titans left off.

If anything else I’m actually intrigued by the mayor character he’s written, I normally really hate the idea of banning vigilantes in Gotham it’s been done to death and it makes no sense given how many times these characters have saved the universe or are on the Justice League. However I do appreciate that he’s not just evil, but that he’s an actual character who is doing this because of the trauma he suffered and wants to do something about it because it’s what he believes in.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It's been a god send for the past few years. We haven't heard much of it cos it's just solid good writing. No cheap gimmicks and shameless publicity. No piggy backing on hot billion dollar movie characters or shilling hot characters like harley.

That's why it's flown under the radar because Tomasi is just focusing on his story not courting pR and giving endless interviews like king, Tynion and Snyder.

I only started reading Tomasi's run a few weeks ago, the Nicola Scott Issue pulled me in, and I'm enjoying it so far. I also think Nakano is a good new character. I enjoy reading about his perspective, and I hope that we'll see more of him past the current arc.

I might just go back and read some earlier Issues. Are there any Issues/arcs you'd recommend?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I only started reading Tomasi's run a few weeks ago, the Nicola Scott Issue pulled me in, and I'm enjoying it so far. I also think Nakano is a good new character. I enjoy reading about his perspective, and I hope that we'll see more of him past the current arc.

I might just go back and read some earlier Issues. Are there any Issues/arcs you'd recommend?
    It’s been a treat from the beginning. He jumps on with Road to 1000, and goes from there. I really enjoyed the Arkham Knight story from 1001-1003.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

It's really good, but not as good as Batman & Robin.

I am just waiting for a good stretch where he is not sidelined by events.