Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wasn't the death of Kupperberg's DP one of the few things to actually come out of "Invasion?"

I think Byrne was able to run roughshod with continuity with a totally new DP because since Morrison's run, the team had been pretty much removed from regular DC (in spirit). Maybe they let Byrne try to bring in a new DP that was more tied into the mainline DC and shed all the Vertigo-esque stuff since that had run its course. (and Arcudi's team was totally irrelevant)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

A similar situation happened with Animal Man in the pages of Morrison's JLA. At the Twilight of his Vertigo series Buddy Baker had become a white haired cult leader. This iteration of the character even crossed over onto the pages of Peter David's Aquaman. But around the time Animal Man appeared in Morrison's World War 3, he inexplicably reverted to his old superhero self, and the Jamie Delano/Jerry Prosser version of the character was never mentioned again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I actually preferred the second team over the original; the doom patrol in general is too weird to me.
    I liked the second team, but I wish they had given the book to Jim Aparo instead of Joe Staton. Aparo's covers were very nice, but the interior art didn't do much for me. Kupperburg, though, was never a great writer -- so the art probably didn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    A similar situation happened with Animal Man in the pages of Morrison's JLA. At the Twilight of his Vertigo series Buddy Baker had become a white haired cult leader. This iteration of the character even crossed over onto the pages of Peter David's Aquaman. But around the time Animal Man appeared in Morrison's World War 3, he inexplicably reverted to his old superhero self, and the Jamie Delano/Jerry Prosser version of the character was never mentioned again.
    This has nothing to do with anything, but "Animal Man" has the least animal themed costume(s) on the planet! I'm not sure if they were being lazy or if I actually like it for being so not on the nose. I always thought it was a mistake for fire heroes to have a fire themed costume - you're just giving yourself away...

I remember really liking the Kupperberg/Lightle series.
    Unfortunately, from what I’ve read since, Lightle didn’t realize it was an ongoing and they had to find another artist.
    And I didn’t care for Erik Larsen’s art at the time.

What I think hurt DP, aside from the obvious loss of the artist right out the gate, was that the book came at the end of a big push of new superhero team books at DC. It was a pretty crowded field.

I also remember being initially very excited about Byrne’s team.
    But that excitement quickly faded once their book started.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This has nothing to do with anything, but "Animal Man" has the least animal themed costume(s) on the planet! I'm not sure if they were being lazy or if I actually like it for being so not on the nose. I always thought it was a mistake for fire heroes to have a fire themed costume - you're just giving yourself away...
    The original Animal Man costume had scales on it, but that aspect of Buddy's costume was dropped after Morrison's Animal Man 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    It was good kooky fun w. nice soap opera overtones.
    It really hit its stride when artist Steve Lightle left a few issues and Erik Larsen took over. His art perfectly complimented the golden age weirdness of classic DP villains like The Plastic Men, Gargaux, and Gen. Immortus.

Nobody really remembers those early issues. Once Grant Morrison took over, he made it his own, no doubt!
    I still like that initial goofiness though.
    I really enjoyed this era of the Doom Patrol with its wonderful variety of personalities and powers. I often wonder where characters like Celsius and Tempest are to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I really enjoyed this era of the Doom Patrol with its wonderful variety of personalities and powers. I often wonder where characters like Celsius and Tempest are to this day.
    I was glad to see them in the show.
    They even had Rhea appear.
    I was expecting the Red Jack story to bring her back for an episode but they drastically shortened and altered the storyline to fit the arc of the season, so she didn’t return.

I expect we’ll see Joshua on there again someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I was glad to see them in the show.
    They even had Rhea appear.
    I was expecting the Red Jack story to bring her back for an episode but they drastically shortened and altered the storyline to fit the arc of the season, so she didn’t return.

I expect we’ll see Joshua on there again someday.
    The show? to what show do you refer here?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    The show? to what show do you refer here?
    The HBOMax live action series.

If you're not a subscriber, the 1st season is available on DVD. I strongly recommend it - excellent stuff!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

In answer to the original question as to why John Byrne could do these reboots, it was noted at the time that he brought 50,000 readers with him on any book he took over. So, he made it possible for Doom Patrol to turn a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

If you're not a subscriber, the 1st season is available on DVD. I strongly recommend it - excellent stuff!
    Thanks! I have it in preparation for WW1984 and will check it out

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Giffen’s run actually found a way to make all the different iterations of the Doom Patrol work in continuity. It’s actually one of my favorite runs on the team.
    Same here! Giffen's series was highly underrated and deserved to last longer than it did.
    Between bringing back Jane and Danny, the core team/setup, the art and Metal Men cofeature, this book was destined for two things:

1. Low sales
    2. Me having a great time with it

I wish we got more Giffen Doom Patrol.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Video overview of the John Byrne DOOM PATROL OMNIBUS.

I dare say that it’s my favorite show since Firefly originally aired.