Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mighty Member

I enjoyed it, but it was in part because the original Question took part in the story, and he was written rather well.

The problem with the run is that it didn't stop with the final issue of the EL series and was carried on I believe in a Superman title?...which I didn't bother to check out. So good, but I guess not good enough to captivate me to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I don't know about a HYDRA but a COBRA would be awesome!

Now that DC actually has:

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I was also disappointed, but that's mainly because the miniseries was explicitly said to be a mystery, yet the story utterly fails to play fair as one since Mark Shaw is never mentioned until right before the reveal. If you didn’t already know who Shaw is, there was no way for you to figure out the mystery. And if you did know who Shaw was, the mystery was obvious from the start.

However, since you're going into already knowing the reveal, you'll be approaching it from a completely different perspective. If you can find it cheap, it might be worth a read.
    Not to mention the fact that Mark Shaw had been irrelevant for a long time before that anyway. (Oh, and the last relevant story he was in, Mark Shaw was revealed to be the Manhunters-murdering Dumas in Kate's Manhunter series before that, so .... been there, done that) It was a worse reveal than "Oh, Monarch is Hawk? ..... okay, whatever." (it wouldn't have been that much better if it had been Capt Atom) And it's not like it was a really interesting story regardless of the reveal. There really wasn't much else to it other than that.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-23-2020 at 08:46 PM.

The most that happened was...
    spoilers:
    Damian, without any evidence but only conjecture, says it was Jason Todd who was responsible for everything. What follows is an interesting, if nothing else, spat between Jason and the so-called great detectives, where Jason either gets the upper hand or neutralizes them long enough to give Lois a quick interview and get out. Nevermind what Jason was doing in his own title at the time, but sure, everyone suddenly believes Jason to be the one behind all the organizations being taken down.

A whole lotta (painful, Bendis-speak-filled) build-up for nothing.
    end of spoilers

I don’t want to leave you empty handed so I will say this, his Naomi mini-series is pretty good. It introduces a brand new character into the dc universe, it’s got great art, and I think it’s a decently told story as well, though it’s got his usual story beats of being a tad slow but overall I think it’s pretty good.

I also like his Young Justice, I know that’s a bit divisive but I enjoyed it for what it was which was just a slightly amusing book with characters that I really liked back together again, plus at the time of Ric Grayson and Heroes in Crisis let’s just say I was perfectly content with some not really big plot events and kind of just messing around book that wasn’t killing characters off.

Edit: Probably Bendis’s best book at DC is Batman Universe though, it’s just a fun Batman story as Batman chases after this mysterious artifact and travels to various places and runs into various characters within the dc universe, like Green Lantern and Jonah Hex. Nick Derington does the art and it looks great.
    Last edited by sifighter; 11-23-2020 at 09:20 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I don’t want to leave you empty handed so I will say this, his Naomi mini-series is pretty good. It introduces a brand new character into the dc universe, it’s got great art, and I think it’s a decently told story as well, though it’s got his usual story beats of being a tad slow but overall I think it’s pretty good.

I also like his Young Justice, I know that’s a bit divisive but I enjoyed it for what it was which was just a slightly amusing book with characters that I really liked back together again, plus at the time of Ric Grayson and Heroes in Crisis let’s just say I was perfectly content with some not really big plot events and kind of just messing around book that wasn’t killing characters off.

Edit: Probably Bendis’s best book at DC is Batman Universe though, it’s just a fun Batman story as Batman chases after this mysterious artifact and travels to various places and runs into various characters within the dc universe, like Green Lantern and Jonah Hex. Nick Derington does the art and it looks great.
    Agreed on Naomi and Batman Universe. Those two books are easily the two best things he's down since coming to DC (along with the first Action Comics Invisible Empire arc)

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

It starts strong and then... I can't define it. Not worth it at all.

To me, it's kind of a coin flip.

If someone really, really, loved those characters and Bendis?

Slight(very slight...) advantage to "Sure. Check It Out."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I thought it was fun, but most are right in saying it was anticlimatic. Nice art at least. And it sucks the sequel never came out.

I think Leviathan was better on season 5 of the Supergirl TV show than the comics.

I think it's hard to judge it because it was part one of a series that will probably never be completed. The next part was delayed by DC indefinitely, and with how DC is going at the moment it's doubtful it will ever see the light of day.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

In hindsight, no.

It has an interesting germ of an idea in there somewhere - A mysterious figure who wants to get rid of "all the secrets," starting with all of DC's various spy organizations? Sure, why not?

But then there's several issues of a rather nonsensical group of "great detectives" standing around and accusing each other of being the mysterious figure for several issues, punctuated by Plastic Man, who's there for no particular reason. When that starts wearing thin, another group of "great detectives" is tossed into the mix for reasons that are never really made clear. Then it turns out that the mysterious figure is someone whose name isn't mentioned in the story (I don't think), and Superman doesn't even recognize him Despite The Fact That He Was The Villain In One Of The All-Time Great JLA Stories. The villain's origin is never really explained, and a promised sequel was canned.

Until it looks like someone's gonna take this ball and run with it, I'd give it a pass.

Incredible Member

Like most of Bendis' work on events, it always starts with an interesting premise, but then fails to deliver on it. That is even putting aside whether you can tolerate "Bendis speak" or not.

If you want Bendis stuff, Batman Universe is decent (but to me, the 'Bendis speak' becomes grating towards the second half, as Batman seems to be bantering like he's Peter Parker)

If you want something DC comic spy type stuff, I'd recommend the Grayson series (with Nightwing).