Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    375

    Default Event Leviathan? Do you recommend?

    I haven't read this and was thinking of picking it up. I haven't really enjoyed Bendis DC work that I have read but LOVE most of his Marvel work. Especially the street level character stuff. Plus I love Mark Shaw, Kate Spencer, Ollie Queen, Etc so I thought I should give it a shot. Is it any good? Are they going anywhere with it? Have the threads at the end been picked up?

  2. #2
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    11,873

    Default

    Imo it starts out okay but has a very anti-climatic ending. Bendis did not pull the landing off and as usual a lot of Bendis speak. It tried it because i liked the spy angle bit it could have been a lot better. The art was top-notch tho'.

    They planned a follow up mini called Event Leviathan: Checkmate but only put out 1 issue.

  3. #3
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your mum's place
    Posts
    1,916

    Default

    Don't bother.
    Absolutely not worth the effort unfortunately.
    It's a great premise, but it just went nowhere and the mini following the usual DC M.O of not offering an ending.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    I would not recommend. It failed on its simple premise of gathering some of DC's greatest detectives, and .... they spent most of the time talking over each other in Batman's kitchen pointing fingers rather than doing any actual detective work. Events unfolded mostly on tv screens away from them and the "big reveal" was super anti-climactic and wasn't even presented well.

    That's my impression of it anyway...

  5. #5
    Fantastic Member Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Imo it starts out okay but has a very anti-climatic ending. Bendis did not pull the landing off and as usual a lot of Bendis speak. It tried it because i liked the spy angle bit it could have been a lot better. The art was top-notch tho'.

    They planned a follow up mini called Event Leviathan: Checkmate but only put out 1 issue.
    I like Bendis speak for the most part actually. I know it bothers some people but not me.

    Would you recommend it if I get it on sale at Comixology for $6?

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Don't bother.
    Absolutely not worth the effort unfortunately.
    It's a great premise, but it just went nowhere and the mini following the usual DC M.O of not offering an ending.
    Ugh that is disappointing to hear.

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I would not recommend. It failed on its simple premise of gathering some of DC's greatest detectives, and .... they spent most of the time talking over each other in Batman's kitchen pointing fingers rather than doing any actual detective work. Events unfolded mostly on tv screens away from them and the "big reveal" was super anti-climactic and wasn't even presented well.

    That's my impression of it anyway...
    Bummer. Ok thanks

  8. #8
    Mighty Member tib2d2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Yeah I would prob just recommend reading the summary. Although the follow issue Checkmate was pretty cool IMO.

  9. #9
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    6,309

    Default

    I was also disappointed, but that's mainly because the miniseries was explicitly said to be a mystery, yet the story utterly fails to play fair as one since Mark Shaw is never mentioned until right before the reveal. If you didnít already know who Shaw is, there was no way for you to figure out the mystery. And if you did know who Shaw was, the mystery was obvious from the start.

    However, since you're going into already knowing the reveal, you'll be approaching it from a completely different perspective. If you can find it cheap, it might be worth a read.

  10. #10
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    11,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I like Bendis speak for the most part actually. I know it bothers some people but not me.

    Would you recommend it if I get it on sale at Comixology for $6?
    If you like Bendis and can overlook a slow moving plot where not much happens that actually changes anything and it's only $6, then okay.

  11. #11
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    855

    Default

    I appreciate Bendis’ well-meaning move to revive DC’s street level characters, detectives, and agents. But I have to say Event Leviathan is boring as a story.

  12. #12
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    60,457

    Default

    My main takeaway...did DC really need a Hydra?

  13. #13
    Incredible Member Adset's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    832

    Default

    I liked the lead-up to the mini-series — the Leviathan Rising arc in Action, and that oversized Leviathan Rising one-shot — far more than the mini-series itself.

  14. #14
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    6,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I liked the lead-up to the mini-series — the Leviathan Rising arc in Action, and that oversized Leviathan Rising one-shot — far more than the mini-series itself.
    Agreed. The Leviathan Rising one-shot was a lot of fun.

  15. #15
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    11,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    My main takeaway...did DC really need a Hydra?
    I don't know about a HYDRA but a COBRA would be awesome!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •