Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Ugh. Honestly, this scene is one of the things that made me drop the title for the first time ever - just ... awful.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Ugh. Honestly, this scene is one of the things that made me drop the title for the first time ever - just ... awful.
    From Bzzt's recordings on the wall of a DC editorial meeting:

Dan: "How do we get more readers invested in Hal Jordan as Green Lantern in the wake of that movie?"

Editor 1: "Well Geoff just finished his magnum opus and we're a bit rudderless at the moment so mayb--"

Editor 2: "Remember when he was a big dummy? What about we go back to that and make him a manbaby too."

Editor 1: "Guys I don't--"

Dan: "You son of a bitch, you did it again. Let's break for lunch. Who wants wings?"

Editor 1: "No, wait, I really think we--"

Dan: "You're making my wings cold, bro, and when my wings get cold I kill Titans."

Editor 1: "Yeah okay, dumb is fine."

Dan: "Good, good. *Pages Jim Lee* Tell Geoff he can kill Dick."

Editor 1/2: "... But you said..."

Dan: "I have altered the deal. Pray my wings do not get colder."

Editor 2: "Way to go, Hal."
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-07-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    From Bzzt's recordings on the wall of a DC editorial meeting:

Dan: "How do we get more readers invested in Hal Jordan as Green Lantern in the wake of that movie?"

Editor 1: "Well Geoff just finished his magnum opus and we're a bit rudderless at the moment so mayb--"

Editor 2: "Remember when he was a big dummy? What about we go back to that and make him a manbaby too."

Editor 1: "Guys I don't--"

Dan: "You son of a bitch, you did it again. Let's break for lunch. Who wants wings? "
    I remember being tentatively excited about a new creative team and Hal leading the Corps. until he started being written as an incapable and dumb leader who seemingly hadn't learned anything from the last run and got dumped by Carol within the first three pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember being tentatively excited about a new creative team and Hal leading the Corps. until he started being written as an incapable and dumb leader who seemingly hadn't learned anything from the last run and got dumped by Carol within the first three pages.
    I can't even get excited when Johns writes Hal anymore because he chose to spend one of his last messages on Bruce instead of Ollie in the 80th anniversary. If it wasn't for Morrison, I'd just say retire Hal for a couple years until someone proves they get him.

I can't even get excited when Johns writes Hal anymore because he chose to spend one of his last messages on Bruce instead of Ollie in the 80th anniversary. If it wasn't for Morrison, I'd just say retire Hal for a couple years until someone proves they get him.
    As far as I'm concerned the last time Johns wrote Hal was Darkseid War .

The thing is, Hal Jordan is SUCH a storied character with SO much history and SO many stories told about him, that there's debate about "who is he really?" He's been interpreted in different ways over the decades depending on which of his MANY traits any given writer chooses to emphasize. And unfortunately, someone with SUCH a deep history can be easily misinterpreted.

He is a complicated man. It's only part of why he's THE BEST GREEN LANTERN EVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As far as I'm concerned the last time Johns wrote Hal was Darkseid War .
    What kills me is he basically ripped off an old Twilight Zone in that anniversary story, too.

To be honest, I usually bail on his GL run with Blackest Night. Pretty strong ending as far as I'm concerned. It never really hit the same high after that.

Greatest. EVER. The man turned down Godhood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greatest. EVER. The man turned down Godhood.
    That really was King saying "&%$@ Parallax" wasn't it?

That really was King saying "&%$@ Parallax" wasn't it?
    One could say Hal learned from his experience as Parallax and The Spectre... either way.

What kills me is he basically ripped off an old Twilight Zone in that anniversary story, too.

To be honest, I usually bail on his GL run with Blackest Night. Pretty strong ending as far as I'm concerned. It never really hit the same high after that.
    I liked the stuff that came after well enough even if it didn't reach the peak of that run, but I feel like we got some good character development with Hal in it.

Extraordinary Member

At the end of the day, I do consider Hal to be the greatest GL. However, it was Geoff Johns that somewhat diminished Hal in my eyes.

Geoff rained on Hal's parade with the emphasis on Sinestro & Batman.

Part of what makes Hal great is his various relationships with other heroes.

2005 Rebirth: Kyle (who really did not know him), John (whose ex chopped his wife up), Guy (who did not like him), honorable shoutout to Kilowog, and Oliver were all ride or die for Hal when so many doubted him, especially Batman.

But deep down.....

By the end of the Geoff's run.....

Does Hal suffer from some case of Stockholm's syndrome for the man who ruined his life?

I also gotta mention the PIS regarding the POW story.

Sorry, Frontier.....I could not stop myself from this age-old rant.

I tried...I really did....

Extraordinary Member

John "planet slayer" Stewart, Kyle "girlfriend in a fridge" Raynor and Kil-"am I a gentle giant or a gruff drill instructor"-owog? puh-lease....
    You forgot Guy "Glass Jaw" Gardner!

Hitting his face is like a doorknob, everyone gets a turn!

Damn, even Jessica?!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    At the end of the day, I do consider Hal to be the greatest GL. However, it was Geoff Johns that somewhat diminished Hal in my eyes.

Geoff rained on Hal's parade with the emphasis on Sinestro & Batman.

Part of what makes Hal great is his various relationships with other heroes.

2005 Rebirth: Kyle (who really did not know him), John (whose ex chopped his wife up), Guy (who did not like him), honorable shoutout to Kilowog, and Oliver were all ride or die for Hal when so many doubted him, especially Batman.

But deep down.....

By the end of the Geoff's run.....

Does Hal suffer from some case of Stockholm's syndrome for the man who ruined his life?

I also gotta mention the PIS regarding the POW story.

Sorry, Frontier.....I could not stop myself from this age-old rant.

I tried...I really did....
    Batman has this weird friendship inertia where as time goes on, more of the JLA Stan him. In the Silver Age most of the core team liked each other, but once conflict set in, there was a core argument for "Superman is his bud," then we started talking about a Trinity and Diana liked him. Then I guess Barry because The Flash started selling and GL because we need to save this nosediving IP.

Pretty soon Bruce is going to be vouching for why Clark needs to be in the JLA.

For Earth heroes, I love Ollie/Barry/John being Hal's ride or die friends and Guy someone he won over and are friends, if a bit callous with one another ("you're a bastard, but I like you"). I wish he and Bruce never really got over their beef, though, mostly because Bruce can't admit he's wrong. Because modern Batman kind of sucks.

Extraordinary Member

Batman has this weird friendship inertia where as time goes on, more of the JLA Stan him. In the Silver Age most of the core team liked each other, but once conflict set in, there was a core argument for "Superman is his bud," then we started talking about a Trinity and Diana liked him. Then I guess Barry because The Flash started selling and GL because we need to save this nosediving IP.

Pretty soon Bruce is going to be vouching for why Clark needs to be in the JLA.

For Earth heroes, I love Ollie/Barry/John being Hal's ride or die friends and Guy someone he won over and are friends, if a bit callous with one another ("you're a bastard, but I like you"). I wish he and Bruce never really got over their beef, though, mostly because Bruce can't admit he's wrong. Because modern Batman kind of sucks.
    Hal should be the polar opposite of Batman & Sinestro. Geoff ignored Hal's previous relationships for forced ones.

At best, Hal & Bruce should keep it professional. Sinestro is a dirty cop, and cruelly arranged the death of Kyle's mom. Kyle was the one who proved Hal was corrupted by Parallax to begin with. So, it looks bad for Hal to have conflicted feelings for the dirty cop who had a Hitler haircut. The only conflict Hal should have is whether to give Sinestro a left, or right cross. It makes no sense that Geoff wrote Hal wanting to personally be around fear mongers. Kyle lost a lot looking after Hal.

So, when Carol hooked up with Kyle, I was not even mad. Plus, it is also funny that Kyle had a relationship with Sinestro's daughter.

Comics can be so weird.